Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Capitol A » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:01 am

Getting back to the discussion of suits...i'm wearing the pants from my J.Crew suit right now (with modern amusement cardigan, i do not work in the traditional office setting); and I have to say that I really don't think you can get this value anywhere else. Loro Piana 4 season wool for $195 for the pants, and $395 for the jacket is a steal, and they are constantly having sales (I think it's currently 20% off if you spend $150+). This and the fits are basically perfect off the rack, but if they're not your local J.Crew retailer will have them altered for practically nothing. I'm wearing the gray, which continues to serve me well, but I think I'm going to order the navy this week, and get all 3 peices.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:35 pm

Any ideas on what the dress code is like for summer federal judicial interns (guys)?

Factors:
- Midwestern secondary market (not Chicago)
- District court (not Court of Appeals)
- Full judge (not magistrate)
- Urban setting/large metropolitan area
- I got the internship via phone interview, so I haven't had the chance to see what the clerks were wearing.
- I had some in-person interviews at other chambers in the same courthouse, but they were a few months ago and I don't remember what the clerks were wearing.

Like I'm sure at minimum it's business casual, but will I probably have to wear a suit everyday, or is just a shirt/tie/pant combo fine? Or, perhaps, could I get away with the latter when I'm in the chambers but have to put on a suit jacket if I'm in the courtroom?

I'm sure it will vary by individual judge, but I am just trying to get an estimate now so I can anticipate how much shopping I'll need to do. Thanks guys.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any ideas on what the dress code is like for summer federal judicial interns (guys)?

Factors:
- Midwestern secondary market (not Chicago)
- District court (not Court of Appeals)
- Full judge (not magistrate)
- Urban setting/large metropolitan area
- I got the internship via phone interview, so I haven't had the chance to see what the clerks were wearing.
- I had some in-person interviews at other chambers in the same courthouse, but they were a few months ago and I don't remember what the clerks were wearing.

Like I'm sure at minimum it's business casual, but will I probably have to wear a suit everyday, or is just a shirt/tie/pant combo fine? Or, perhaps, could I get away with the latter when I'm in the chambers but have to put on a suit jacket if I'm in the courtroom?

I'm sure it will vary by individual judge, but I am just trying to get an estimate now so I can anticipate how much shopping I'll need to do. Thanks guys.


I am going to wear a suit everyday personally, unless I feel really awkward doing so. If the judge looks at his three interns and two are not dressed in a suit and one is, which one do you think he is going to invite to lunch? If another judge or lawyers come by, which one do you think he'll invite to talk? So forth... I'm pretty sure the interns with me will be a competitive bunch (hence going anon) and so we'll probably all be in suits everyday...

Dress for the job you want I guess. Plus I like playing dress up.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any ideas on what the dress code is like for summer federal judicial interns (guys)?

Factors:
- Midwestern secondary market (not Chicago)
- District court (not Court of Appeals)
- Full judge (not magistrate)
- Urban setting/large metropolitan area
- I got the internship via phone interview, so I haven't had the chance to see what the clerks were wearing.
- I had some in-person interviews at other chambers in the same courthouse, but they were a few months ago and I don't remember what the clerks were wearing.

Like I'm sure at minimum it's business casual, but will I probably have to wear a suit everyday, or is just a shirt/tie/pant combo fine? Or, perhaps, could I get away with the latter when I'm in the chambers but have to put on a suit jacket if I'm in the courtroom?

I'm sure it will vary by individual judge, but I am just trying to get an estimate now so I can anticipate how much shopping I'll need to do. Thanks guys.


Call chambers and ask the secretary.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:20 pm

Be sure to read the very original version:
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Preppy-H ... 0894801406

And not the latest version, which is a joke!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/030759 ... KPSB7275BJ

Capitol A wrote:
beachbum wrote:I'm not a prep by your definition (public high school, mediocre private undergrad),
I know it's not the point, but that's not really my definition. It's more the root of the term. Check out "The Official Preppy Handbook" written by Lisa Birnbach (I think that's how you spell her last name). It will let you in on all the secrets of prep history.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:14 am

vamedic03 wrote:
Call chambers and ask the secretary.


Assume that your judge says, "Just go with what my clerks wear, I'm pretty easy going."

No joke, one clerk wears a polo with khakis, another wears a button-down w/ slacks and tie, the other wears a suit.

Should I just roll with slacks, white button-down and tie, or do you think a suit would be better?

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby traehekat » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Call chambers and ask the secretary.


Assume that your judge says, "Just go with what my clerks wear, I'm pretty easy going."

No joke, one clerk wears a polo with khakis, another wears a button-down w/ slacks and tie, the other wears a suit.

Should I just roll with slacks, white button-down and tie, or do you think a suit would be better?


i would take that to mean "anything my clerks wear is fine" and so the polo with khakis is probably the minimum you can get away with, although i would go with the middle road just to be safe.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Postby beachbum » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:29 am

traehekat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Call chambers and ask the secretary.


Assume that your judge says, "Just go with what my clerks wear, I'm pretty easy going."

No joke, one clerk wears a polo with khakis, another wears a button-down w/ slacks and tie, the other wears a suit.

Should I just roll with slacks, white button-down and tie, or do you think a suit would be better?


i would take that to mean "anything my clerks wear is fine" and so the polo with khakis is probably the minimum you can get away with, although i would go with the middle road just to be safe.


+1. I would take "easy going" to mean "suit not required." But don't play it too casually; go with at least a button-down and slacks.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.