Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dougroberts

Bronze

Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Post by dougroberts » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:25 pm

I need to update my biz-casual attire soon, before my SA position this summer.
TLS consensus is Brooks Brothers is the best for shirts when they have a sale.

Does anybody know when BB typically have sales before June? I see right now they have 3 shirts for $178, but does it get cheaper than this?

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Re: Dressed to Impress for Summer 2011

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:17 pm

You should become a Borders Rewards member. Find Brooks Brothers on the Borders Rewards site, enter the Borders-provided codes, and get corporate discount of 15%.

I think they have two big sales each year and lots of little ones throughout. I'm not sure when the next big one is.

For shoes Allen Edmonds is probably your best bet.

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:36 pm

charles tyrwitt is way better than brooks brothers. esp their slim fit line.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:44 pm

ruski wrote:charles tyrwitt is way better than brooks brothers. esp their slim fit line.
can you compare size to Brooks? i.e. slim fit in BB = slim fit in tyrwitt? are they usually true to neck/sleeve length?

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:31 pm

For what it's worth, your goal is not really to "dress to impress". Your goal is to dress so that nobody remembers what you wore.

BB is fine if you like nice clothes, but it's overkill for a law student. There are partners at my firm who wear the $15 specials from TJ Max.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:33 pm

nealric wrote:For what it's worth, your goal is not really to "dress to impress". Your goal is to dress so that nobody remembers what you wore.

BB is fine if you like nice clothes, but it's overkill for a law student. There are partners at my firm who wear the $15 specials from TJ Max.
......is it a problem to wear nice clothes?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:36 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
nealric wrote:For what it's worth, your goal is not really to "dress to impress". Your goal is to dress so that nobody remembers what you wore.

Missing the point. You should look nice, but you shouldn't dress to be remembered for what you wear.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:36 pm

beach_terror wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:

Missing the point. You should look nice, but you shouldn't dress to be remembered for what you wear.
.......so it's not a problem to wear nice clothes, as long as you are still dressed conservatively?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:36 pm

ruski wrote:charles tyrwitt is way better than brooks brothers. esp their slim fit line.
hmm nice selection of slim fit/tailored, for sure. im also curious about how their slim line compares to BB. im pretty skinny and even the slim fits at BB are a bit big on me. so far the only shirt that i feel fits me perfect are the slim fit body shirts from CK.

EDIT: diggin' this - http://www.ctshirts.co.uk/men's-shirts/ ... |||&ppp=23

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Master Tofu

Bronze

Post by Master Tofu » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:15 pm

beach_terror wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:

Once you're a partner, you can live in TJMax if you want. Until then, look sharp. Just don't buy funky colors. I love the iron-free shirts from BB.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:30 pm

traehekat wrote:
hmm nice selection of slim fit/tailored, for sure. im also curious about how their slim line compares to BB. im pretty skinny and even the slim fits at BB are a bit big on me. so far the only shirt that i feel fits me perfect are the slim fit body shirts from CK.

I haven't worked in a law firm but that shirt seems like a bad choice for an internship in a conservative profession.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:34 pm

J. Press and Vineyard Vines are also good choices. The Black and Brown label at Lord and Taylor is amazingly nice for the price.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:35 pm

beach_terror wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:

To take this full circle, no one is going to remember you because you wore a Brooks Brothers slim-fit non-iron shirt.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:39 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
traehekat wrote:

I haven't worked in a law firm but that shirt seems like a bad choice for an internship in a conservative profession.
Ya prolly but damn that's a sweet shirt. I typically balk on these kind of shirts anyway and I've ended up with a closet full of white/blue/white with thin blue lines shirts. I do have a couple that are like that one above tho.

Any other thoughts on wearing shirts like this for a SA? --LinkRemoved--

Probably just going to depend on the feel you get from different firms, and maybe its more appropriate on like a Friday or something. I dunno.

Anonymous User wrote:The Black and Brown label at Lord and Taylor is amazingly nice for the price.
+1,000.

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:42 pm

traehekat wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:
traehekat wrote:

Ya prolly but damn that's a sweet shirt. I typically balk on these kind of shirts anyway and I've ended up with a closet full of white/blue/white with thin blue lines shirts. I do have a couple that are like that one above tho.

Any other thoughts on wearing shirts like this for a SA? --LinkRemoved--

Probably just going to depend on the feel you get from different firms, and maybe its more appropriate on like a Friday or something. I dunno.
That's still fairly conservative, but that's a tough pattern to work with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:46 pm

Don't get too flashy with shirts. The tie is really the centerpiece, not the piece de resistance. I've got probably 150+ ties, and I wear basically four or five different types of shirts.

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:54 pm

I don't really plan on wearing a tie that often. Maybe once or twice a week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:54 pm

Check out Jos A. Bank. They always have crazy sales going on like 50% off everything or buy a regular price wool suit and get $1000 worth of items for free. Check out their tailored fit spread collar dress shirts and signatures pants.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:04 pm

How many suits should I own if I have to "wear a tie" to work everyday this summer. I think "wear a tie" really means wear a suit. Or at least a tie with jacket.

I have 3 suits and 2 sport coats. How much more do I need?

dougroberts

Bronze

Post by dougroberts » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Check out Jos A. Bank. They always have crazy sales going on like 50% off everything or buy a regular price wool suit and get $1000 worth of items for free. Check out their tailored fit spread collar dress shirts and signatures pants.
Jos A. Bank has some nice selections, but their prices are not much better than Brooks Brothers' current promo.

I think for dress shirts, one needs to look at wrinkle-free only. Wearing a non-wrinkle-free shirt looks nasty by the afternoon times, around the arms! And I had dress shirts that are really thin/see-through. Not sure if Jos A. Bank's or BB's shirts are see-through?

dougroberts

Bronze

Post by dougroberts » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many suits should I own if I have to "wear a tie" to work everyday this summer. I think "wear a tie" really means wear a suit. Or at least a tie with jacket.

Why do you think "wear a tie" means wear a suit? Business casual can mean shirt + tie only, and suit only when meeting with clients (if you get to) and going to court.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:25 pm

dougroberts wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How many suits should I own if I have to "wear a tie" to work everyday this summer. I think "wear a tie" really means wear a suit. Or at least a tie with jacket.

Why do you think "wear a tie" means wear a suit? Business casual can mean shirt + tie only, and suit only when meeting with clients (if you get to) and going to court.
I asked HR "what do people typically wear?", she said "well, all the men wear ties. if you're dressed appropriately, attorneys can take you to client meetings." I don't think I will always have a lot of notice when I will be joining an attorney in court.

I also talked to someone that clerked at the same firm the previous year, and she said "men wear ties, but hang up their jackets when they're in the office".

I understand "wear a tie" doesn't always mean wear a suit. But I think this situation requires at least a jacket everyday.

Does anyone have experience wearing a suit everyday?

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:45 pm

Are you in NY? I thought almost all big firms were business casual now.

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:56 pm

My boyfriend bought several Brooks Brothers shirts, both from an outlet mall and from the actual Brooks Brothers store, and has had 3 rip up the sleeve. He's not busting out of them at all, so I'm going to have to attribute it to quality. Not a huge fan of them.

I'm a woman and really like my Banana Republic collared no-iron shirt for under a suit, but I'm not sure what to wear for a business casual environment. I want to invest in things I can wear at a firm and this summer (government agency). Thoughts on sheath dresses for women? Something like this (http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/produc ... pe=Regular) or this (http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/produc ... pe=Regular).

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:58 pm

I'm gay, so take my advice.

Find a Sacks off Fifth, they run incredible sales.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”