Non-prosecution jobs at PLIP?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Non-prosecution jobs at PLIP?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:08 pm

TLS IP-folk,

As PLIP nears I'm starting to rethink my approach to my career. Earlier this semester I had an interview scheduled with a Silicon Valley patent-firm that got canceled after I sent my undergraduate transcript in. The position was for patent prosecution. My GPA in CS is 3.17, but the transcript itself looks much worse than that because of a failed previous major (including one literal 'F'). Thankfully, my law school GPA is 3.8 so far and very near the top 5% cutoff at my T25 school. I've also been working twice as hard this semester and have every intention of maintaining, if not improving, my GPA.

Based on the canceled interview, I'm leaning towards abandoning the idea of doing patent prosecution. From what I understand, the only other option in IP is litigation, which I'd be totally down for. Outside of IP, I'd also be interested in doing Corporate work. I'm just wondering to what extent will I have to take measures to avoid having an interviewer try to pigeon-hole me, either purposely or subconsciously, as a patent prosecutor. I'm already going to scrub the line discussing my patent bar eligibility from my resume and retool my cover letter(s).

So here are my questions:
1. Is there anything else I should keep in mind to make my self-presentation more appropriate for a non-prosecution position?
2. What are the prospects for non-prosecution jobs at PLIP?
3. How difficult would it be to break into Boston from PLIP as opposed to CA? My fiancee is in Boston and my ugrad degree is from Boston University, but it sounds like there are more positions (and competition) on the West Coast for IP. My law school is in northern CA.
4. Related to point 3, should I try to make some kind of split between the two markets? Or should I just stick with CA for presumably greater job prospects?

Re: Non-prosecution jobs at PLIP?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TLS IP-folk,

As PLIP nears I'm starting to rethink my approach to my career. Earlier this semester I had an interview scheduled with a Silicon Valley patent-firm that got canceled after I sent my undergraduate transcript in. The position was for patent prosecution. My GPA in CS is 3.17, but the transcript itself looks much worse than that because of a failed previous major (including one literal 'F'). Thankfully, my law school GPA is 3.8 so far and very near the top 5% cutoff at my T25 school. I've also been working twice as hard this semester and have every intention of maintaining, if not improving, my GPA.

Based on the canceled interview, I'm leaning towards abandoning the idea of doing patent prosecution. From what I understand, the only other option in IP is litigation, which I'd be totally down for. Outside of IP, I'd also be interested in doing Corporate work. I'm just wondering to what extent will I have to take measures to avoid having an interviewer try to pigeon-hole me, either purposely or subconsciously, as a patent prosecutor. I'm already going to scrub the line discussing my patent bar eligibility from my resume and retool my cover letter(s).

1. Is there anything else I should keep in mind to make my self-presentation more appropriate for a non-prosecution position?
3. How difficult would it be to break into Boston from PLIP as opposed to CA? My fiancee is in Boston and my ugrad degree is from Boston University, but it sounds like there are more positions (and competition) on the West Coast for IP. My law school is in northern CA.
4. Related to point 3, should I try to make some kind of split between the two markets? Or should I just stick with CA for presumably greater job prospects?

The 2010 employer list looks highly IP lit oriented. I feel your pain my ugpa is terrible too. We should make a thread to collect data on which firms ask for UGPA and which don't.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TLS IP-folk,

1L grades...can't stress this enough...also, sit for the patent bar if you can (search my previous posts for information on both of these topics...I'm too lazy to type them out
last year, excellent
I got preselects from Boston, CHI, NYC, and DC. At that time, I went to school in a smaller east coast market. If you've got really good reasons to be in one city or another, that will be important for firms in determining whether you get a CB out of a screening interview. Also, screeners will be largely given out on a firm-specific basis (e.g. each firm has their own hiring criteria, so just bid in areas where you'd like to work).
See 3. Bid where you'd like to work/where you think you could convince someone you'd like to work/spend the beginning of your career.

PLIP is an excellent opportunity to pregame your OCI. If you're near the top 5% cutoff at a T25, you should have plenty of screening interviews for lit positions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:36 pm

OP chiming in again. Thanks for the replies! It's encouraging to hear that the LPIP fair is still placing well ITE. I think I'm probably going to end up using all my Loyola Patent Fair bids on Boston. I've already been toying with the idea of transferring closer to Boston, and after looking at the difference in lawschooltransparency employment rates between my current school and BU/BC I'm pretty sure I'll end up doing so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 pm

I definitely had a good experience at the PLIP (top 25% at T10). I only got one offer (V50), but the experience you get interviewing is totally worth it. It's great prep for OCI.

Return to “Legal Employment”