Will my 1L Summer Plans Ruin Biglaw Chances? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will my 1L Summer Plans Ruin Biglaw Chances?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:08 pm

So, long story short, my grandfather is entering into hospice care. Since I found this out, I focused my summer job search on the law opportunities around the small town where we're from, rather than any major market, so that I could actually be near for what will probably be his last summer.

I have two jobs secured. One is a single attorney office who is in the middle of preparing a class action against a land development company and said he would let me know whenever he had work I could do. The other is a small 10-lawyer office focusing on criminal defense. Not exactly the most prestigious resume items, but they were the best things I could find in the area.

I'm trying to figure out what effect this will have when I apply for biglaw SA in the fall.

DCDuck

Bronze

Re: Will my 1L Summer Plans Ruin Biglaw Chances?

Post by DCDuck » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:04 pm

No. The most important thing is to have some form of legal job (paid or unpaid doesn't matter). You have this. Also, most interviewers (even for biglaw) aren't ogres and will understand your reasons for taking the jobs you have.

Sorry to about your grandpa.

keg411

Platinum

Re: Will my 1L Summer Plans Ruin Biglaw Chances?

Post by keg411 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:27 pm

DCDuck wrote:No. The most important thing is to have some form of legal job (paid or unpaid doesn't matter). You have this. Also, most interviewers (even for biglaw) aren't ogres and will understand your reasons for taking the jobs you have.

Sorry to about your grandpa.
This. If they ask you why you worked in x small town, you have a perfectly good reason.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”