Good looks a plus? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ResolutePear

Platinum

Re: Good looks a plus?

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:10 pm

Borhas wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
As a man who has the ability to don a red beard and an eye patch, it certainly is not those damn vikings.
somethings for consideration

average male height 20+ years old

Denmark: 5' 11.1''
Sweden: 5' 11.5''
Norway: 5' 10.7''
Netherlands: 5' 11.2''

it's the vikings...
Ah, I was thinking of the viking gnomes.

My mistake.

Carry on.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:14 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

My mistake.

Carry on.
ResolutePear wrote: As a man who has the ability to don a red beard and an eye patch, it certainly is not those damn vikings.

outed?

Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Borhas wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

My mistake.

Carry on.
ResolutePear wrote: As a man who has the ability to don a red beard and an eye patch, it certainly is not those damn vikings.

outed?

Negatory.

That is a dwarf.

Ah, crap.

TatNurner

Bronze

Post by TatNurner » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:27 pm

In regards to the "you are not as hot as you think you are" responses: Is it quite common for people to think they are better looking than they are?

I always imagined that with the media constantly parading unachievable standards of beauty that those who thought they met that would be few...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:30 pm

TatNurner wrote:In regards to the "you are not as hot as you think you are" responses: Is it quite common for people to think they are better looking than they are?

I always imagined that with the media constantly parading unachievable standards of beauty that those who thought they met that would be few...
Never underestimate people's ability to delude themselves.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:44 pm

TatNurner wrote:In regards to the "you are not as hot as you think you are" responses: Is it quite common for people to think they are better looking than they are?

There have been studies that show something like eighty percent of people think they are average or above average in different things. Of course that can't be true and I'd imagine looks might be worse.

classix

New

Post by classix » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:29 pm

Heres a fun example:

Would you rather be tall and attractive and go to a TTT/TTTT or just definitely ugly and kinda small and go to a t100 (excluding top 20, for balancing purposes).

Where would you career options be better?
:?: :?: :?:

TatNurner

Bronze

Post by TatNurner » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:34 pm

^Classix: Thats an easy one. Tall atttractive at TTT/TTTT. I dont even see how thats a fair contest. Maybe if you said ugly and HYS.

Interesting responses. I figured with looks people would know because we get constant(and arguably more realistic) feedback in all these subtle and not so subtle ways from people, esp in the dating game. As compared to something like intelligence, athletic or singing ability etc, I understand people being deluded because they don't get feedback as often, and people around them may lie to them about their "talents" to protect their ego.

classix

New

Post by classix » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:44 pm

TatNurner wrote:^Classix: Thats an easy one. Tall atttractive at TTT/TTTT. I dont even see how thats a fair contest. Maybe if you said ugly and HYS.

Interesting responses. I figured with looks people would know because we get constant(and arguably more realistic) feedback in all these subtle and not so subtle ways from people, esp in the dating game. As compared to something like intelligence, athletic or singing ability etc, I understand people being deluded because they don't get feedback as often, and people around them may lie to them about their "talents" to protect their ego.

Really though? does an ugly T6er have as satisfying a life as a beautiful T2 or TTT soldier?

I'm not trying to provoke...but I do wonder what people think about this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:47 pm

classix wrote:
TatNurner wrote:^Classix: Thats an easy one. Tall atttractive at TTT/TTTT. I dont even see how thats a fair contest. Maybe if you said ugly and HYS.

Really though? does an ugly T6er have as satisfying a life as a beautiful T2 or TTT soldier?

It's going to depend on what you find satisfying. But the vast majority of people in the t6, despite how they look, are going to be far more succesful than anyone at a TTT.

TatNurner

Bronze

Post by TatNurner » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:48 pm

Classix it depends on how you measure satisfaction. I'm not even sure if we are arguing this from the same angle, but this is the way I see it:

If you are ugly and succesful --> Success makes up for what you dont have in looks

beautiful and Average (that is TTT/TTTT) --> The advantages of being attractive balance out with your average (but respectable) success.

My $0.05

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:49 pm

classix wrote:Really though? does an ugly T6er have as satisfying a life as a beautiful T2 or TTT soldier?

No, pretty people are happier on average.

Ultimately there are too many variables like what really counts as satisfying, what is beautiful, etc.

But given the option I'd rather be the good looking T2-er than the ugly ass T-14er

classix

New

Post by classix » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:
classix wrote:

It's going to depend on what you find satisfying. But the vast majority of people in the t6, despite how they look, are going to be far more succesful than anyone at a TTT.

You're right. I admit that my examples are skewed due to the fact that TTT is the fringe of the legal society.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:05 pm

Also I think it depends a lot on Gender. Physical attractiveness would be much more beneficial for a female than it would be for a male I think. Girls are logical enough not to hire someone of the opposite sex based on their attractiveness. I do not have the same faith in men.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:16 pm

This is a mean-spirited thread. Of course it does.

More to the point, it helps you in Everything, makes you more likable, and makes people want to listen to what you have to say.

If I could trade an addition 1 point of attractiveness (on the 1-10 scale) for 10 points of IQ, I'd keep doing it until my looks were a 10. It just gets you more in life.

classix

New

Post by classix » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:18 pm

flcath wrote:This is a mean-spirited thread. Of course it does.

More to the point, it helps you in Everything, makes you more likable, and makes people want to listen to what you have to say.

If I could trade an addition 1 point of attractiveness (on the 1-10 scale) for 10 points of IQ, I'd keep doing it until my looks were a 10. It just gets you more in life.
Howabout if you could trade 1 point of attractiveness for 2 LSAT points?

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:19 pm

flcath wrote:
This seems like indisputable analysis.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:26 pm

classix wrote:

Lol are you fucking kidding me? I'd trade those away on a 20:1 basis, and then go do something outside of law.

Then I'd spend my life making $50K/yr., fucking beautiful women several times a week, and laughing at the short, overweight Biglaw partners desperately trying to use their cash to impress women who find them, personally, unattractive and pathetic.
bport hopeful wrote:
flcath wrote:
Brah, no one needs top-notch analysis when you're great-looking. All the T13 grads (especially the ones from schools with no IRL recognition) can approach the women I've had and explain to them the shortcomings in their reasoning that led them to go home with me. Maybe they'll find it sexy?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:28 pm

I didn't mean for that to come off as sarcastic. I was agreeing with you.

classix

New

Post by classix » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:31 pm

flcath wrote:
classix wrote:

Lol are you fucking kidding me? I'd trade those away on a 20:1 basis, and then go do something outside of law.

Then I'd spend my life making $50K/yr., fucking beautiful women several times a week, and laughing at the short, overweight Biglaw partners desperately trying to use their cash to impress women who find them, personally, unattractive and pathetic.
bport hopeful wrote:
flcath wrote:
Brah, no one needs top-notch analysis when you're great-looking. All the T13 grads (especially the ones from schools with no IRL recognition) can approach the women I've had and explain to them the shortcomings in their reasoning that led them to go home with me. Maybe they'll find it sexy?
Great overall post. Thoroughly enjoyable. So i take it you hate law school?

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:37 pm

classix wrote:Great overall post. Thoroughly enjoyable. So i take it you hate law school?
I don't think you can infer that. I enjoy law school but top-law-schools.com is hard. Life being a really ridiculously good looking is not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bport hopeful

Gold

Post by bport hopeful » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't mean for that to come off as sarcastic. I was agreeing with you.
Didnt mean for that to by anonymous.

flcath

Silver

Post by flcath » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:39 pm

classix wrote:
flcath wrote:
classix wrote:

bport hopeful wrote:
flcath wrote:
Great overall post. Thoroughly enjoyable. So i take it you hate law school?
Yeah, but in general. I don't have anything against my school in particular, nor am I bitter about not being at a better law school... I'm bitter about not doing something altogether better.

Glad you enjoyed the alpha bro schtick.

classix

New

Post by classix » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:57 pm

flcath wrote: Yeah, but in general. I don't have anything against my school in particular, nor am I bitter about not being at a better law school... I'm bitter about not doing something altogether better.
Actually, I've wondered this too. Im a 0L and just put a deposit down on an in-state T2 in a metro area.

The school has good connections and relatively promising future for me, but I do wonder if there is something better to do...like maybe just GTFO and go live in costa rica or something.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:58 pm

fathergoose wrote:Also I think it depends a lot on Gender. Physical attractiveness would be much more beneficial for a female than it would be for a male I think. Girls are logical enough not to hire someone of the opposite sex based on their attractiveness. I do not have the same faith in men.
I'm a girl, and I vote "ugly at a T6". Make $$$, get plastic surgery FTW :D

If I were hot, I'd rather be a model/actress/socialite/trophy wife than go to a TTT/TTTT lawl skool and rack up $150k in debt and lose my "marriage material" status.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”