Good looks a plus?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:29 pm

bloopyblooper wrote:
keg411 wrote:
bloopyblooper wrote:I remember taking a UGrad business course (at a top business school), in which the professor cited a study and said:

Men: The better looking (and taller) you are, the more likely you are to succeed in the business field.
Women: You are more likely to succeed in business if you are not too ugly and not too pretty.


Yay? :?


Was this not relevant? Just sayin that OP, who claims to be "short, skinny, & blonde-- not model gorgeous by any stretch but above average" might not be the underdog.


I meant that I'm not too ugly and not too pretty. It was a joke about my extremely average looks :lol:.

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:30 pm

keg411 wrote:
bloopyblooper wrote:
keg411 wrote:
bloopyblooper wrote:I remember taking a UGrad business course (at a top business school), in which the professor cited a study and said:

Men: The better looking (and taller) you are, the more likely you are to succeed in the business field.
Women: You are more likely to succeed in business if you are not too ugly and not too pretty.


Yay? :?


Was this not relevant? Just sayin that OP, who claims to be "short, skinny, & blonde-- not model gorgeous by any stretch but above average" might not be the underdog.


I meant that I'm not too ugly and not too pretty. It was a joke about my extremely average looks :lol:.

Image

User avatar
donzoli
Posts: 145
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:53 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby donzoli » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:35 pm

I can easily foresee firms wanting to make me the "face of the firm" if you will...

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby beachbum » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:43 pm

Of course it does. In any situation where you have to sell yourself (i.e. job interviews, prostitution), your first impression counts for a lot- and your appearance is a big part of that first impression.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:33 pm

what if you're a good looking dude but short?

sigh. :?

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4856
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby Borhas » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:13 am

the world doesn't look kindly on short people

in fact the world doesn't look at all

probably because short people aren't easily noticed

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:what if you're a good looking dude but short?

sigh. :?

that's a tough one. tallness in guys is a major attraction factor. i think a lot of chicks would choose an average looking tall guy over a good looking guy who was shorter than them

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby beachbum » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:26 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what if you're a good looking dude but short?

sigh. :?

that's a tough one. tallness in guys is a major attraction factor. i think a lot of chicks would choose an average looking tall guy over a good looking guy who was shorter than them


ohai. 8)

Image

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:30 am

would be cooler if it was actually you and not some dude in ukraine

also, that's not tall, that's gigantism

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby beachbum » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:33 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:would be cooler if it was actually you and not some dude in ukraine

also, that's not tall, that's gigantism


why you always gotta be crampin my style, Paulina?

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:35 am

beachbum wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:would be cooler if it was actually you and not some dude in ukraine

also, that's not tall, that's gigantism


why you always gotta be crampin my style, Paulina?

sorry babe. loves? you should hang out in the lounge more

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby beachbum » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:48 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
beachbum wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:would be cooler if it was actually you and not some dude in ukraine

also, that's not tall, that's gigantism


why you always gotta be crampin my style, Paulina?

sorry babe. loves? you should hang out in the lounge more


meh, TLS is enough of a time-suck as it is. I would never see the outside world if I got involved in whatever goes down over there. I'll wander in every once in a while, though.

paulinaporizkova
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:51 am

beachbum wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
beachbum wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:would be cooler if it was actually you and not some dude in ukraine

also, that's not tall, that's gigantism


why you always gotta be crampin my style, Paulina?

sorry babe. loves? you should hang out in the lounge more


meh, TLS is enough of a time-suck as it is. I would never see the outside world if I got involved in whatever goes down over there. I'll wander in every once in a while, though.

you really don't lose any more time; instead you just only post in the lounge and in threads with titles like "good looks a plus?" ..so you become a lot more worthless but have a lot more fun

barry
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby barry » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:00 am

Hot girls clean up at OCI from what i've heard

and i think good looking guys get a boost but not comparable to a hot chick (note: there aren't that many hot chicks in LS so not that many people are getting a huge boost on the female side)

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby fathergoose » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:04 am

I blame my lack of success looking for jobs on my overpowering musk and devilish good looks

User avatar
thexfactor
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:40 am

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby thexfactor » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:44 am

how short is short? (for guys)
5'5 short?
5'9 short?
6'0 short?

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:28 am

thexfactor wrote:how short is short? (for guys)
5'5 short?
5'9 short?
6'0 short?


Are you kidding? 5'9.5" is the average height.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby sundance95 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:49 am

Do SUV's have a higher rate of rollover than other vehicles? Is smoking cigarettes a bad idea if training for a triathlon? Do bears shit in the woods?

User avatar
fathergoose
Posts: 853
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby fathergoose » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:50 am

thexfactor wrote:how short is short? (for guys)
5'5 short?
5'9 short?
6'0 short?

You should retake anything less than 6'0"

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4856
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby Borhas » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:52 am

thexfactor wrote:how short is short? (for guys)
5'5 short?
5'9 short?
6'0 short?


5'9 is on the shorter side of average (5' 10'' is average for white American male)

anything above 5'11'' is "tall"

Image
http://www.halls.md/chart/men-height-w.htm


Average height of American males (all races/ethnicities)

--ImageRemoved--

also apparently white americans are on average taller than black americans... I wouldn't have guessed that

must be all those damn vikings
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

delusional
Posts: 1190
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby delusional » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:56 am

fathergoose wrote:
thexfactor wrote:how short is short? (for guys)
5'5 short?
5'9 short?
6'0 short?

You should retake anything less than 6'0"

LOL

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:59 am

It's all fun and games until a 5'9" height laser engulfs the world for a couple days.

It would most likely be a commie. Canadian. Hopefully I won't be wearing a'boots when that happens.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby ResolutePear » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Borhas wrote:
thexfactor wrote:how short is short? (for guys)
5'5 short?
5'9 short?
6'0 short?


5'9 is on the shorter side of average (5' 10'' is average for white American male)

anything above 5'11'' is "tall"

Image
http://www.halls.md/chart/men-height-w.htm


Average height of American males (all races/ethnicities)

--ImageRemoved--

also apparently white americans are on average taller than black americans... I wouldn't have guessed that

must be all those damn vikings


As a man who has the ability to don a red beard and an eye patch, it certainly is not those damn vikings.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4856
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby Borhas » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:03 pm

ResolutePear wrote:It's all fun and games until a 5'9" height laser engulfs the world for a couple days.

It would most likely be a commie. Canadian. Hopefully I won't be wearing a'boots when that happens.

:|

me too

I loves my boots... loves my boots

going from 5'10'' to 6'0'' is awesome...

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4856
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby Borhas » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:09 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
As a man who has the ability to don a red beard and an eye patch, it certainly is not those damn vikings.


somethings for consideration

average male height 20+ years old

Denmark: 5' 11.1''
Sweden: 5' 11.5''
Norway: 5' 10.7''
Netherlands: 5' 11.2''

it's the vikings...




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.