Good looks a plus?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
loblaw

Re: Good looks a plus?

Postby loblaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:48 pm

Also, as demonstrated by UG campus career fairs, hot women can put on glasses to semi-conceal their hotness and convey more gravitas. Some hot chicks, however, cannot conceal a mousy voice or valley girl dialect. That would be more trouble than simply looking hot.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:51 pm

loblaw wrote:Also, as demonstrated by UG campus career fairs, hot women can put on glasses to semi-conceal their hotness and convey more gravitas. Some hot chicks, however, cannot conceal a mousy voice or valley girl dialect. That would be more trouble than simply looking hot.

And of course, saying "like" as every third word that comes out of your mouth doesn't help, either.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:54 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
girlonfire wrote:
fatduck wrote:no, but your tongue tornado will be.

i love it what fatduck shows up.

also, i think ppl can't help but be nicer to ppl they think are good looking.. regardless of sexual orientation or interest.

for women, i think the opposite is true. personally, when i see a hot chick who knows she is hot, that bitch is getting the evil eye until she proves she is cool, or DTF.

did you mean can't instead of can?

I did. I type too fast for my brain sometimes. Also, I'm hot, cool and DTF, so whats up? ;) am i hired??

loblaw

Postby loblaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:58 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
loblaw wrote:Also, as demonstrated by UG campus career fairs, hot women can put on glasses to semi-conceal their hotness and convey more gravitas. Some hot chicks, however, cannot conceal a mousy voice or valley girl dialect. That would be more trouble than simply looking hot.

And of course, saying "like" as every third word that comes out of your mouth doesn't help, either.

Typical. It must be because I'm so good looking.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:02 pm

loblaw wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

[img]/img]

Typical. It must be because I'm so good looking.

I was implying that not all girls who use like so liberally should be referred to as valley girls.

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:56 am

Yes

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:06 am

I think my appearance has hurt me more than helped tbh. I'm short, skinny, & blonde-- not model gorgeous by any stretch but above average. In my experience, if a woman is doing the hiring my looks never help and sometimes hurt me. If a man is doing the hiring it's 50/50-- half the time it helps and half the time it hurts because sometimes I can tell they instantly do not take me seriously the minute I walk into the room. I literally try and make myself look as plain as possible when I go on interviews now. I'm sure it is different for guys though.

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:13 am

Postby 005618502 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:14 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
girlonfire wrote:
fatduck wrote:no, but your tongue tornado will be.

i love it what fatduck shows up.

also, i think ppl can help but be nicer to ppl they think are good looking.. regardless of sexual orientation or interest.

for women, i think the opposite is true. personally, when i see a hot chick who knows she is hot, that bitch is getting the evil eye until she proves she is cool, or DTF.

did you mean can't instead of can?

First time I have heard a girl throw out the DTF... awesome.

If you as good looking as Paulina's tar, then it will help... I would think

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think my appearance has hurt me more than helped tbh. I'm short, skinny, & blonde-- not model gorgeous by any stretch but above average. In my experience, if a woman is doing the hiring my looks never help and sometimes hurt me. If a man is doing the hiring it's 50/50-- half the time it helps and half the time it hurts because sometimes I can tell they instantly do not take me seriously the minute I walk into the room. I literally try and make myself look as plain as possible when I go on interviews now. I'm sure it is different for guys though.

beach_terror wrote:Yeah, but you're probably not as good looking as you think.

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:17 am

mpj_3050 wrote:What if you have an okay face but great deltoid development?

I enjoy it when an avatar matches a post.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:21 am

yngblkgifted wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think my appearance has hurt me more than helped tbh. I'm short, skinny, & blonde-- not model gorgeous by any stretch but above average. In my experience, if a woman is doing the hiring my looks never help and sometimes hurt me. If a man is doing the hiring it's 50/50-- half the time it helps and half the time it hurts because sometimes I can tell they instantly do not take me seriously the minute I walk into the room. I literally try and make myself look as plain as possible when I go on interviews now. I'm sure it is different for guys though.

agree to disagree

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:25 am

Play some Billy Joel and drop pants/neck.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

agree to disagree

Pics or it didn't happen. :wink:

bloopyblooper

Postby bloopyblooper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:17 am

I remember taking a UGrad business course (at a top business school), in which the professor cited a study and said:

Men: The better looking (and taller) you are, the more likely you are to succeed in the business field.
Women: You are more likely to succeed in business if you are not too ugly and not too pretty.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:11 am

bloopyblooper wrote:I remember taking a UGrad business course (at a top business school), in which the professor cited a study and said:

Men: The better looking (and taller) you are, the more likely you are to succeed in the business field.
Women: You are more likely to succeed in business if you are not too ugly and not too pretty.

Yay? :?

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:06 am

keg411 wrote:
bloopyblooper wrote:I remember taking a UGrad business course (at a top business school), in which the professor cited a study and said:

If you are too pretty, then just don't wear makeup and pull your hair back into a tight ponytail. Then you are office hot, but not discrimination hot.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:32 pm

If you have to ask anonymously....

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:55 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:If you have to ask anonymously at all....

FTFY

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2011/02/law-school-group-urges-female-students-to-get-in-better-shape/

Why would this be news? Of course there is an attractiveness bias that is prevalent in our society. Sure, there are some things that you can't help, but everything that is in your control (i.e. losing weight, teeth whitening, haircuts, putting on makeup etc.) should be a priority. Not over grades or law review, but these things should be prioritized somewhere after working on interpersonal skills and before mindlessly chatting on internet forums. :wink:

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:28 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:http://abovethelaw.com/2011/02/law-school-group-urges-female-students-to-get-in-better-shape/

Why would this be news? Of course there is an attractiveness bias that is prevalent in our society. Sure, there are some things that you can't help, but everything that is in your control (i.e. losing weight, teeth whitening, haircuts, putting on makeup etc.) should be a priority. Not over grades or law review, but these things should be prioritized somewhere after working on interpersonal skills and before mindlessly chatting on internet forums. :wink:

I don't think that is evidence that more attractive women get better offers as much as someone at Cardozo is really tired of all the fucking fatties trampling around the law building.

bloopyblooper

Postby bloopyblooper » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:28 pm

keg411 wrote:

Was this not relevant? Just sayin that OP, who claims to be "short, skinny, & blonde-- not model gorgeous by any stretch but above average" might not be the underdog.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:31 pm

alexonfyre wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

I don't think that is evidence that more attractive women get better offers as much as someone at Cardozo is really tired of all the fucking fatties trampling around the law building.

LOL. While Cardozo couldn't weed out the fatties/ ugly chicks through their law school application process, law firms sure can.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:33 pm

this thread is worthless without pics

Return to “Legal Employment”