Taking non law school classes

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawboy81

Taking non law school classes

Postby lawboy81 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:40 pm

I'm a 2L. Thinking about classes for 3L. I'm thinking about taking a foreign language class fall and spring semesters. Is this a bad idea? Will employers wonder why I'm taking classes outside of law? Anyone have any experience with this?

zomginternets

Re: Taking non law school classes

Postby zomginternets » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Do you mean instead of or in addition to a regular load of law courses? (i.e. if 4 courses is regular, do you mean 3 law + 1 language, or 4 law + 1 language?)

If the former, some employers (depending on what type of law you go in to) could see it as an advantage, especially if it's a "law-oriented" foreign language course (if such a thing exists). I'm sure lots of PI or international firms would love to have an associate that can communicate with non-english speaking clients or read foreign language contracts.

If the latter, same as above, but I doubly don't see why any employer would see it as a bad thing, as long as your grades don't suffer. It's basically just an extra curricular activity then.

lawboy81

Re: Taking non law school classes

Postby lawboy81 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:21 pm

I'd probably b taing 4 law school courses in addition to the non law chool class. 4-5 classes is typical at my scool.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Return to “Legal Employment”