Attending a PT program.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lawscholar20

Attending a PT program.

Postby lawscholar20 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:15 am

Does attending a school's part time program hurt your job prospects? I ask specifically in the BigLaw sector. Would going to GULC or Fordham PT while working during the day make a difference?

lawscholar20

Re: Attending a PT program.

Postby lawscholar20 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:35 pm

Seems that my question was not too popular. Allow me to rephrase in the hope that I get some answers:

Besides for the obvious advantage of finishing school a year earlier, Is there any other advantages to attending a FT program over a PT program?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:39 pm

I'm in the PT program at Fordham and I see no disadvantages to being in this program (as re: OCI/Big Law prospects) rather than the FT program...
PROVIDED you are WORKING while in school.
I think there are always exceptions, but no - empirical evidence seems to show that employers totally respect the fact that you're carrying a FT job AND law school (provided you're getting good grades.)
No idea about GULC but can try to hook you up with some PT people there, if you'd like their input.

classix

Postby classix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:39 am

I wonder this too.

For some reason I feel like biglaw would look down upon PT...though I can't justify this feeling.

introversional

Postby introversional » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:46 am

classix wrote:I wonder this too.

For some reason I feel like biglaw would look down upon PT...though I can't justify this feeling.

I can't imagine why.... if you're working full time while also studying law and finish well in your class, to me that's a great illustration of multitasking, time management, work ethic, etc.

Also, if your full time work is something even remotely relevant to the type of law you're interested in which may keep you sharper than FT students that have been completely out of the work force for 3 years, I think it might even be an advantage.

PT FTW

classix

Postby classix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:04 am

Okay, i agree. PT FTW indeed!

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:17 am

I partially disagree with these answers. The facts about law school is that 1L grades are probably the most important. So work/intern during 2L and 3L and ace 1L.

And working at Wendys aint going to cut it.

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:24 am

So not working as 1L in a part-time program would be frowned upon?

classix

Postby classix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:26 am

columbia86 wrote:So not working as 1L in a part-time program would be frowned upon?

Yes. You are clearly gaming the system.

I think the trick is to get an impressive looking job with low time commitment. That way you can boost 1L grades while looking like you're working your ass off in the real world too.

Boom. 160k.

introversional

Postby introversional » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:29 am

jarofsoup wrote:I partially disagree with these answers. The facts about law school is that 1L grades are probably the most important. So work/intern during 2L and 3L and ace 1L.

I disagree with the assumptions used to formulate your reply.

First of all, Wendys? We're talking about mainting a full time professional role while attending a PT program 3 nights a week (as most PT programs are) w/occasional Saturdays. We're not talking about fast food. With that said, couldn't you have at least used Chick-fil-a for your example?

Secondly, we all understand 1L grades are important; if one is capable of maintaining a full time position while ALSO performing well within their PT class, then it would illustrative several strong qualities, which may actually be an advantage. That's what we're discussing/implying.

If you can't juggle and succeed at both - then no, PT law w/full time job isn't for you.

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:01 pm

I don't know the details about these specific programs, but don't part-time students generally get ranked separately than full time students?

Employers may look at your rank and compare it directly to full time students, but I feel like this could hurt you if they don't, since you would primarily be competing with full-timers for employment purposes.

Also, I attended a school that had a PT program before I transferred, and there kind of seemed to be a sense that taking fewer law courses at a time built in a bit of an advantage, even when you take into account that a lot of PT students were working.

howell

Postby howell » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:34 pm

My experience at a law school that has a PT program is that law firms really couldn't care less either way. You either have the grades or you don't. You're a douche or you're not. These factors greatly outweigh anything else, including Law Review, work experience, etc. It's much more the exception that something you did besides your performance on 1L exams gets you a job with a law firm.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:47 pm

introversional wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:I partially disagree with these answers. The facts about law school is that 1L grades are probably the most important. So work/intern during 2L and 3L and ace 1L.

I disagree with the assumptions used to formulate your reply.

First of all, Wendys? We're talking about mainting a full time professional role while attending a PT program 3 nights a week (as most PT programs are) w/occasional Saturdays. We're not talking about fast food. With that said, couldn't you have at least used Chick-fil-a for your example?

Secondly, we all understand 1L grades are important; if one is capable of maintaining a full time position while ALSO performing well within their PT class, then it would illustrative several strong qualities, which may actually be an advantage. That's what we're discussing/implying.

If you can't juggle and succeed at both - then no, PT law w/full time job isn't for you.

Oye.

-Saying not just work for work sake. Agreed. I was a bit more colorful. Saying not just a job at Wendys make sure it is a professional position. Exactly what I was saying.

-I am saying that you should make sure that you can do this and not jump into it not knowing this. So maybe not working your 1L year to see if you can get the swing of things or your first semester.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:32 pm

Last edited by Wholigan on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:45 pm

Wholigan wrote:
UCLAtransfer wrote:I don't know the details about these specific programs, but don't part-time students generally get ranked separately than full time students?

Employers may look at your rank and compare it directly to full time students, but I feel like this could hurt you if they don't, since you would primarily be competing with full-timers for employment purposes.

Also, I attended a school that had a PT program before I transferred, and there kind of seemed to be a sense that taking fewer law courses at a time built in a bit of an advantage, even when you take into account that a lot of PT students were working.

I don't think this is true at all when taking work into account, and I doubt many employers believe it either. Not sure of the structure in your school, but if we use the general format at my school, what sounds like more of an advantage to you, taking 14 credits and working 0 hours per week, or taking 10 credits and working 40 hours per week? If you think the extra 4 credits are equivalent to a 40 hour workweek, then taking 14 credits would equate with a 140 hour workweek.

I absolutely see what you are saying, but I'm speaking more to the general perception/consensus that I saw, rather than a precise comparison of the respective hours put in/workloads.

Also, I don't know that looking strictly at the difference in the number of hours fully accounts for the difference between potentially taking 3 classes v. 5 (this is how it was at the school I transferred out of, at least second semester). I think there is something to be said for being able to focus all your studying and energy and exam prep on only 3 classes and 3 exams v. adding in the 4th and 5th classes/exams.

Obviously there are also a lot of other variables potentially at play that could make the scales tilt in either direction-e.g., working a low-stress, flexible job, versus one that consistently requires that you put a ton of time and energy in-but generally speaking, I don't think it's so clear.

Return to “Legal Employment”