Should I split my summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which one?

Just do the Public Defender's Office.
29%
Split my summer.
71%

Total votes: 7

Anonymous User

Should I split my summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:27 pm

1L at T25 ~top 40th percentile GPA (so, "medianpwnd").

Public Defender's Office:
This job is in a small town an hour outside of my dream market (which is a secondary market and somewhat insular). I don't want to become a public defender after I graduate. I want to work at a firm, possibly not even doing litigation. However, I would love to be able to spend the summer networking in the city (and even in the small town). I don't know any lawyers in this market, but Career Services gave me a big list and offered to do introductions (few people from my school go to this market). Unfortunately, this market is pretty competitive, so my grades may not be able to get me a 2L job or a job after graduation at a good firm in this market. I know a 3L who is going to one of the desirable firms in this market, and her grades are more like top 20%.

Law Firm:
This job is more in line with what I want to do when I graduate. It's at the best firm in my small hometown (pop. 250,000). I don't really want to go back there after I graduate, but if it's the only place where I can get a good job, I have no problem with it (however, I would just apply to all the firms in my dream market after a year or two). This market is in a bit of a law school dead zone. They never get anyone from my school (which isn't all that far away), so I may have an easy time turning this 1L SA into a 2L SA and permanent offer.

Is it worth it to split the summer, or should I go "all in" for my dream market? Career Services told me to just do the PD office. They told me that the extra time spend networking in that market is more valuable than difference in money (only a few thousand dollar difference between the two) or experience. I have heard that Career Services sometimes doesn't know what it's talking about, so I'm just looking for a second opinion.

shepdawg

Re: Should I split my summer?

Postby shepdawg » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:54 pm

Is the law firm job paid?

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:00 pm

shepdawg wrote:Is the law firm job paid?

+1. And more than 12 bucks per hour? if not, I personally think I'd be inclined to just focus on the Public Def job; it will be great experience and having only one job will prob keep things simple.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:34 am

OP here.

1L SA is paid, but I would get a stipend if I work for the PD. The difference would only be $3-4k, and money isn't a huge concern for the summer (I have some money saved up and my family can help, so I'll live comfortably this summer either way). I'm more concerned with making the right move for my career long term.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:37 am

Try to figure out without being threatening what the firm's thoughts on splitting are. If they seem amenable, go ahead. If not, take the firm. Anything that might lead to a permanent offer > anything that won't.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:42 am

I voted split, but I wanted to vote for the firm straight up...

Return to “Legal Employment”