Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
saladfiend

New

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Post by saladfiend » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:29 pm

Just putting it out there that judicial externships are unpaid, so one might expect a little more flexibility. I guess the issue is that my law school's summer break is about 2 weeks shorter than most.

Also, I worked full-time before law school, so I understand that you don't get the same amount of time off in the real world (compared to school).
Last edited by saladfiend on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:31 pm

saladfiend wrote:Just putting it out there that judicial externships are unpaid, so one might expect a little more flexibility.

Also, OP worked full-time before law school, so OP understands that you don't get the same amount of time off in the real world (compared to school).
Are you seriously talking about yourself in the third person?

seriously????

Bronze

Post by seriously???? » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:55 pm

how long are most typical 1L summer internships? to clarify, the amount of time where future employers see that you were there a significant amount of time, and got at least some experience?

i know the real world has few vacation days, but yeah, I wouldn't mind chillin' for a month or so, if it is doable.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:19 pm

I'm at a NYC firm this summer for ten to twelve weeks (depending on my start date), which seems to be standard.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:05 pm

10 weeks w/ a firm for me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”