Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
saladfiend
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:19 pm

Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby saladfiend » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:04 pm

Is there any particular reason why judicial chambers request 10-week externships? Between the law review write-on and summer OCI, this would leave me with 4 days off over the summer.

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby Geist13 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:34 pm

You mean 4 days off other than the 20 weekend days you'll have off?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby fatduck » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:37 pm

Geist13 wrote:You mean 4 days off other than the 20 weekend days you'll have off?

you mean you don't get summer break in biglaw?

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby 005618502 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Geist13 wrote:You mean 4 days off other than the 20 weekend days you'll have off?


haha i like this response

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby wiseowl » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:28 am

All the internet tuff guys came out to play I see.

I think everyone knows biglaw or any real job is a grind. Coming off of 1L, possibly one of the most stressful years of your life, I can at least empathize a bit with OP.

OP, I negotiated my internship down last summer (for job fair purposes, not laziness) with no repercussions at all. It's at least worth it to ask.
Last edited by wiseowl on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby Borhas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:03 pm

glad I'm gonna (hopefully) work for the G-man

weekend + federal holidays + vacation + sick days

that's like almost a third of the year

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Borhas wrote:glad I'm gonna (hopefully) work for the G-man

weekend + federal holidays + vacation + sick days

that's like almost a third of the year

If you think government attorneys don't do work on the weekend, you are sorely mistaken.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Borhas wrote:glad I'm gonna (hopefully) work for the G-man

weekend + federal holidays + vacation + sick days

that's like almost a third of the year

If you think government attorneys don't do work on the weekend, you are sorely mistaken.


kind of depends on what their job is, no?

i mean, it is probably not as customary as it is in biglaw

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby Borhas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Borhas wrote:glad I'm gonna (hopefully) work for the G-man

weekend + federal holidays + vacation + sick days

that's like almost a third of the year

If you think government attorneys don't do work on the weekend, you are sorely mistaken.


yeah and I bet they work on Christmas too

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby fatduck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:17 pm

Borhas wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:
Borhas wrote:glad I'm gonna (hopefully) work for the G-man

weekend + federal holidays + vacation + sick days

that's like almost a third of the year

If you think government attorneys don't do work on the weekend, you are sorely mistaken.


yeah and I bet they work on Christmas too

they're required to by law. separation of church and state.

awsiler
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby awsiler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:29 pm

fatduck wrote:
Borhas wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:
Borhas wrote:glad I'm gonna (hopefully) work for the G-man

weekend + federal holidays + vacation + sick days

that's like almost a third of the year

If you think government attorneys don't do work on the weekend, you are sorely mistaken.


yeah and I bet they work on Christmas too

they're required to by law. separation of church and state.



Federal employees are not required to work on Christmas, it is considered a federal holiday. If a case requires work, that is a different thing, but federal employees are also compensated for working on a holiday. Have you ever seen a calendar with "Christmas or XXX Holiday observed"... if the holiday falls on a weekend, they are given the observed day instead. Not sure where you are getting your information, but my husband is a federal employee...and he gets more days off than I do in the private sector.

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:34 pm

awsiler wrote:
fatduck wrote:
Borhas wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:If you think government attorneys don't do work on the weekend, you are sorely mistaken.


yeah and I bet they work on Christmas too

they're required to by law. separation of church and state.



Federal employees are not required to work on Christmas, it is considered a federal holiday. If a case requires work, that is a different thing, but federal employees are also compensated for working on a holiday. Have you ever seen a calendar with "Christmas or XXX Holiday observed"... if the holiday falls on a weekend, they are given the observed day instead. Not sure where you are getting your information, but my husband is a federal employee...and he gets more days off than I do in the private sector.


what was that sound I heard???

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby Borhas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:35 pm

Awsiler, the guy was making a funny

but, is the pay thing true about weekends? In general... Do salaried employees get compensated for times outside of the normal work day? (talking about state/local gov't workers too now)

I've looked at some Memo's of Understanding between PD/DA's and their respective counties, and some say that the standard work day is 8-5pm M-F and weekends are rest days... now I know for sure that these folks work past 5pm, but at what point would they start getting extra money, especially if they work on weekends?

I'd ask the offices, but I think it'll make me look lazy.
Last edited by Borhas on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6045
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:44 pm

I'm working BIGLAW over the summer and have two days off for holidays. They also give 4 weeks vacation (and I was told by many associates that many people use a lot of that vaction . . . I don't see myself taking 4 weeks off, though). Moral of the story: Don't work in NYC. 8) That being said, you are in for a rude awakening if you're complaining about only having 4 days off over the summer. Welcome to the rest of your life.

Edit: I'm also trying to do a one week program with a firm so that I'm not lazy doing nothing during that week. Step your game up, OP. Shit just got serious.

User avatar
Wholigan
Posts: 763
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby Wholigan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:52 pm

Borhas wrote:Awsiler, the guy was making a funny

but, is the pay thing true about weekends? In general... Do salaried employees get compensated for times outside of the normal work day? (talking about state/local gov't workers too now)

I've looked at some Memo's of Understanding between PD/DA's and their respective counties, and some say that the standard work day is 8-5pm M-F and weekends are rest days... now I know for sure that these folks work past 5pm, but at what point would they start getting extra money, especially if they work on weekends?

I'd ask the offices, but I think it'll make me look lazy.


I recently talked to a grad of my school who works for the SSA, and that person said you get paid overtime for over 40 hours, even staying late on a weekday.

awsiler
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby awsiler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:56 pm

Wholigan wrote:
Borhas wrote:Awsiler, the guy was making a funny

but, is the pay thing true about weekends? In general... Do salaried employees get compensated for times outside of the normal work day? (talking about state/local gov't workers too now)

I've looked at some Memo's of Understanding between PD/DA's and their respective counties, and some say that the standard work day is 8-5pm M-F and weekends are rest days... now I know for sure that these folks work past 5pm, but at what point would they start getting extra money, especially if they work on weekends?

I'd ask the offices, but I think it'll make me look lazy.


I recently talked to a grad of my school who works for the SSA, and that person said you get paid overtime for over 40 hours, even staying late on a weekday.


Actually, it depends on your position. They will try everything possible not to pay you lol. My husband is in a supervisory position, but is not technically salary... if he works over 40, he is supposed to get overtime, but a while back they made a ruling that they only get comp time. They can then let you have the comp time as vacation or as pay, but they decide, not you. If you are salary, you are expected to work a minimum of 50 hours, and most of them have some type of time tracking system (even for salary). Depends on the office of course, but thats generally how it works. It is FLSA federal law to get "compensated" after forty hours IF you are not administrative personnel. Read here, paper pusher. That is how they can get away with comp time vs actually paying you. Hope that helps.

User avatar
powerlawyer06
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 am

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby powerlawyer06 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:00 pm

fatduck wrote:
Borhas wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:
Borhas wrote:glad I'm gonna (hopefully) work for the G-man

weekend + federal holidays + vacation + sick days

that's like almost a third of the year

If you think government attorneys don't do work on the weekend, you are sorely mistaken.


yeah and I bet they work on Christmas too

they're required to by law. separation of church and state.


LOL (please don't take a break in April, these threads are boring with your comments)

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:I'm working BIGLAW over the summer and have two days off for holidays. They also give 4 weeks vacation (and I was told by many associates that many people use a lot of that vaction . . . I don't see myself taking 4 weeks off, though). Moral of the story: Don't work in NYC. 8) That being said, you are in for a rude awakening if you're complaining about only having 4 days off over the summer. Welcome to the rest of your life.

Edit: I'm also trying to do a one week program with a firm so that I'm not lazy doing nothing during that week. Step your game up, OP. Shit just got serious.


Shouldn't you be working on the west coast? Seems like NYC is a long way from Standford.

User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6045
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby Stanford4Me » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:26 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:I'm working BIGLAW over the summer and have two days off for holidays. They also give 4 weeks vacation (and I was told by many associates that many people use a lot of that vaction . . . I don't see myself taking 4 weeks off, though). Moral of the story: Don't work in NYC. 8) That being said, you are in for a rude awakening if you're complaining about only having 4 days off over the summer. Welcome to the rest of your life.

Edit: I'm also trying to do a one week program with a firm so that I'm not lazy doing nothing during that week. Step your game up, OP. Shit just got serious.


Shouldn't you be working on the west coast? Seems like NYC is a long way from Standford.

A) Check the 'tar broseph, my name is a misnomer.
B) I'll be working in Texas. YEEHAW.

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby Sup Kid » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:29 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Borhas wrote:glad I'm gonna (hopefully) work for the G-man

weekend + federal holidays + vacation + sick days

that's like almost a third of the year

If you think government attorneys don't do work on the weekend, you are sorely mistaken.

My experience is from working in a large USAO over the summer and having a family member who works in a DOJ division. In both cases, they are salaried attorneys, and do not get paid overtime if they work late or work on weekends (which happens somewhat regularly, though obviously not as much as in Biglaw). They do have off for federal holidays, and they get vacation/sick days.

User avatar
Julio_El_Chavo
Posts: 803
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby Julio_El_Chavo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:39 pm

no one cares about what you do your 1L summer. just do what's easiest to get by. i had a very unprestigious 1L summer job and over-performed relative to my GPA range during 2L OCI. seriously, no ones cares. just get good grades, do the bare minimum to be able to get a solid letter of recommendation from your 1L judge/firm/employer, and stress about other things that are more important like OCI

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:42 pm

I got 5 paid vacation days (non-holidays) at my old job. We did not get any sick days. I have zero sympathy for OP.

awsiler
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby awsiler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:45 pm

keg411 wrote:I got 5 paid vacation days (non-holidays) at my old job. We did not get any sick days. I have zero sympathy for OP.


LOL I have been with my employer for four years, always having five paid vacation days. We do get five days sick pay also... but now that I am leaving, I am going to miss out on the five year employment bump where I would get an extra week of each! Timing!!!

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:06 pm

Borhas wrote:Awsiler, the guy was making a funny

but, is the pay thing true about weekends? In general... Do salaried employees get compensated for times outside of the normal work day? (talking about state/local gov't workers too now)

I've looked at some Memo's of Understanding between PD/DA's and their respective counties, and some say that the standard work day is 8-5pm M-F and weekends are rest days... now I know for sure that these folks work past 5pm, but at what point would they start getting extra money, especially if they work on weekends?

I'd ask the offices, but I think it'll make me look lazy.

Some of the Federal government jobs factor in overtime in the regular paycheck but don't allow you to comp overtime over that. Meaning, your GS level is xx, then you get locality pay at xx percent, and then you get overtime pay at xx percent. You'll then be required to work at least 50 hours a week but many in those jobs will work more than that anyways and not get compensated for that extra time.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Why are employers so hung up on exactly 10-week summer jobs?

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:16 pm

saladfiend wrote:Is there any particular reason why judicial chambers request 10-week externships? Between the law review write-on and summer OCI, this would leave me with 4 days off over the summer.

It coincides with the solstice.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.