$15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
Other25BeforeYou
Posts: 503
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I figure even if I worked just 2 nights a week (like 5-11PM) and made $100 /night, across 52 weeks that’s an extra $10,400.

Unless you mean $10,400 pre-tax, you'd have to find a job that only wants you for 12 hours a week and pays you $25/hr. Those jobs are pretty darn rare.

Do you by any chance know someone at Georgetown Law or GW Law who might be able to find some law students for you to live with to cut costs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273409
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:39 pm

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I figure even if I worked just 2 nights a week (like 5-11PM) and made $100 /night, across 52 weeks that’s an extra $10,400.

Unless you mean $10,400 pre-tax, you'd have to find a job that only wants you for 12 hours a week and pays you $25/hr. Those jobs are pretty darn rare.


I was thinking about being a delivery driver or a server or something like that. It's all cash in those jobs, so technically you don't have to pay tax on it (even though you are suppose to claim the additional income). My ex works at red lobster as a server right now and makes $500-700 /week in tips working 5-11PM type hours 5-6 days a week. Typically restraurants only need people for those types of jobs part-time anyways (like 2-3 nights a week), at least that was my experience when I worked in one.

Other25BeforeYou wrote:Do you by any chance know someone at Georgetown Law or GW Law who might be able to find some law students for you to live with to cut costs?


Nope. I literally know 0 people in DC.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby Renzo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote: It's all cash in those jobs, so technically you don't have to pay tax on it (even though you are suppose to claim the additional income). My ex works at red lobster as a server right now and makes $500-700 /week in tips working 5-11PM type hours 5-6 days a week. Typically restraurants only need people for those types of jobs part-time anyways (like 2-3 nights a week), at least that was my experience when I worked in one.


Uh, I think you mean, "so technically you can cheat on your taxes." You still have to "technically" pay taxes on it, unless you lie about your income. I'm not trying to get all high-and-mighty, but let's call it what it is.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4857
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby Borhas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:54 pm

Renzo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: It's all cash in those jobs, so technically you don't have to pay tax on it (even though you are suppose to claim the additional income). My ex works at red lobster as a server right now and makes $500-700 /week in tips working 5-11PM type hours 5-6 days a week. Typically restraurants only need people for those types of jobs part-time anyways (like 2-3 nights a week), at least that was my experience when I worked in one.


Uh, I think you mean, "so technically you can cheat on your taxes." You still have to "technically" pay taxes on it, unless you lie about your income. I'm not trying to get all high-and-mighty, but let's call it what it is.

:lol:

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby democrattotheend » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:40 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Semi-related note-are there any discount or super cheap grocer type places in DC or in nearby (i.e. metro accessible) VA/MD? I'm thinking Costco, BJ's, Aldi, etc. Even Wegmans-is there a Wegmans? Their store brand is superior to many name brands...oh god Wegmans...

But seriously, I know there's a Safeway about 5 blocks from where I might live in DC, but I'm sure one can go cheaper than Safeway right?


Safeway is pretty cheap...it's hardly an upscale gourmet market. Then again, I moved from DC to NY 6 months ago, so groceries anywhere, even DC, seem cheap to me now.

I have to disagree with those who blanketly say you don't need a car in DC. That really depends on where you live. If you live within walking distance to a metro station or a frequently running bus (S2, S4, 42, H line, etc), you can get by without one. But living near a metro is more expensive. If you are hell bent on having your car, you may be better off living in the outer suburbs like Alexandria or Falls Church where parking at your apartment is often free or much cheaper and the Metro stations have parking (though be advised it's expensive - $4 per day with a Smart card, $7 otherwise, I think). But I would not recommend living in Maryland or Virginia without a car unless you are right by a Metro station. The buses in MD and VA don't run that frequently and many only run during rush hour or only on the weekends. If you want to be able to go out to bars in the city and stay out late, you may end up spending a lot on cabs because the bus from the Metro either doesn't run late at night or runs very infrequently.

If you are going to go the car route, I recommend living in Virginia. Taxes are lower there and car insurance is cheaper. And grocery stores are better in the suburbs - bigger, better selection, and maybe cheaper (I never actually compared).

I had many roommates from craigslist, and most of them worked out fine. A couple ended up not being great matches but I never had a sketchy situation. What you might try doing is finding a short term sublet on craigslist and then using that time to find a more permanent place.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby dr123 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:42 pm

Unfortunately Bullet Proof Vests are illegal, so youre SOL on that front. Cant really speak to the rest

Anonymous User
Posts: 273409
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:47 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Semi-related note-are there any discount or super cheap grocer type places in DC or in nearby (i.e. metro accessible) VA/MD? I'm thinking Costco, BJ's, Aldi, etc. Even Wegmans-is there a Wegmans? Their store brand is superior to many name brands...oh god Wegmans...

But seriously, I know there's a Safeway about 5 blocks from where I might live in DC, but I'm sure one can go cheaper than Safeway right?


Safeway is pretty cheap...it's hardly an upscale gourmet market. Then again, I moved from DC to NY 6 months ago, so groceries anywhere, even DC, seem cheap to me now.

I have to disagree with those who blanketly say you don't need a car in DC. That really depends on where you live. If you live within walking distance to a metro station or a frequently running bus (S2, S4, 42, H line, etc), you can get by without one. But living near a metro is more expensive. If you are hell bent on having your car, you may be better off living in the outer suburbs like Alexandria or Falls Church where parking at your apartment is often free or much cheaper and the Metro stations have parking (though be advised it's expensive - $4 per day with a Smart card, $7 otherwise, I think). But I would not recommend living in Maryland or Virginia without a car unless you are right by a Metro station. The buses in MD and VA don't run that frequently and many only run during rush hour or only on the weekends. If you want to be able to go out to bars in the city and stay out late, you may end up spending a lot on cabs because the bus from the Metro either doesn't run late at night or runs very infrequently.

If you are going to go the car route, I recommend living in Virginia. Taxes are lower there and car insurance is cheaper. And grocery stores are better in the suburbs - bigger, better selection, and maybe cheaper (I never actually compared).

I had many roommates from craigslist, and most of them worked out fine. A couple ended up not being great matches but I never had a sketchy situation. What you might try doing is finding a short term sublet on craigslist and then using that time to find a more permanent place.


Interesting perspective. This goes completely against the whole you don’t need a car in DC thing, and that it’s too expensive to have a car in DC (particularly if it’s free to park at your apartment). I rented a hotel in Alexandria when I was there for my interview, and that’s not very far at all. I definitely would prefer to live there and have a car, versus staying in DC and not having a car there.

On a similar note, this broad I’ve been “talking” to was telling me this story about how she went out on a blind date with a dude before she met me where the guy was 24 and his dad drove him to pick her up (LOL). But that got me thinking, how the hell do you take a broad out when you’re in DC, if you don’t have a car? It seems like that would be a pain not having a car for this (I mean who wants to take the bus on a date – not to mention you don’t get the privacy of getting to chill in your car with the broad that really is useful on a first date type of ordeal).

Sup Kid
Posts: 557
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:49 pm

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby Sup Kid » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This goes completely against the whole you don’t need a car in DC thing, and that it’s too expensive to have a car in DC (particularly if it’s free to park at your apartment).

Virginia and Maryland are not DC. If you live in DC, you do not need a car. If you live outside of the city, by all means bring your car.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby sundance95 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:39 am

Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This goes completely against the whole you don’t need a car in DC thing, and that it’s too expensive to have a car in DC (particularly if it’s free to park at your apartment).

Virginia and Maryland are not DC. If you live in DC, you do not need a car. If you live outside of the city, by all means bring your car.

This, already. Just like I told you last week.
sundance95 wrote:It's absurd to want multiple cars in DC. If you don't mind living in NOVA or MD, then it's possible

But you clearly are going to go ahead and do it anyway, so why not just do it instead of trolling so hard for someone to tell you what you want to hear?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273409
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:17 am

sundance95 wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This goes completely against the whole you don’t need a car in DC thing, and that it’s too expensive to have a car in DC (particularly if it’s free to park at your apartment).

Virginia and Maryland are not DC. If you live in DC, you do not need a car. If you live outside of the city, by all means bring your car.

This, already. Just like I told you last week.
sundance95 wrote:It's absurd to want multiple cars in DC. If you don't mind living in NOVA or MD, then it's possible

But you clearly are going to go ahead and do it anyway, so why not just do it instead of trolling so hard for someone to tell you what you want to hear?


I didn't even know what "NOVA" was the first time I read that (I'm not from the DC area -- I assume you mean northern virginia?). I didn't realize by MD, you meant something as close as Alexandria (pretty much the one town I know out by DC because I stayed in a hotel there)... Wouldn't it be generally cheaper to just stay in MD or Virginia (but in a town close to DC), than to stay in the city itself? If yes, by how much? ... Seems like if it is a lot cheaper to live there, it might make more sense given my budget (the only thing I am against is living somewhere like 30-45 mins away).

User avatar
Patriot1208
Posts: 7044
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:28 am

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby Patriot1208 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:13 am

^ I think living in arlington is the best bet for saving money. That's what I did, lived close to the metro, and rode it a half hour in everyday.

democrattotheend
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby democrattotheend » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Semi-related note-are there any discount or super cheap grocer type places in DC or in nearby (i.e. metro accessible) VA/MD? I'm thinking Costco, BJ's, Aldi, etc. Even Wegmans-is there a Wegmans? Their store brand is superior to many name brands...oh god Wegmans...

But seriously, I know there's a Safeway about 5 blocks from where I might live in DC, but I'm sure one can go cheaper than Safeway right?


Safeway is pretty cheap...it's hardly an upscale gourmet market. Then again, I moved from DC to NY 6 months ago, so groceries anywhere, even DC, seem cheap to me now.

I have to disagree with those who blanketly say you don't need a car in DC. That really depends on where you live. If you live within walking distance to a metro station or a frequently running bus (S2, S4, 42, H line, etc), you can get by without one. But living near a metro is more expensive. If you are hell bent on having your car, you may be better off living in the outer suburbs like Alexandria or Falls Church where parking at your apartment is often free or much cheaper and the Metro stations have parking (though be advised it's expensive - $4 per day with a Smart card, $7 otherwise, I think). But I would not recommend living in Maryland or Virginia without a car unless you are right by a Metro station. The buses in MD and VA don't run that frequently and many only run during rush hour or only on the weekends. If you want to be able to go out to bars in the city and stay out late, you may end up spending a lot on cabs because the bus from the Metro either doesn't run late at night or runs very infrequently.

If you are going to go the car route, I recommend living in Virginia. Taxes are lower there and car insurance is cheaper. And grocery stores are better in the suburbs - bigger, better selection, and maybe cheaper (I never actually compared).

I had many roommates from craigslist, and most of them worked out fine. A couple ended up not being great matches but I never had a sketchy situation. What you might try doing is finding a short term sublet on craigslist and then using that time to find a more permanent place.


Interesting perspective. This goes completely against the whole you don’t need a car in DC thing, and that it’s too expensive to have a car in DC (particularly if it’s free to park at your apartment). I rented a hotel in Alexandria when I was there for my interview, and that’s not very far at all. I definitely would prefer to live there and have a car, versus staying in DC and not having a car there.

On a similar note, this broad I’ve been “talking” to was telling me this story about how she went out on a blind date with a dude before she met me where the guy was 24 and his dad drove him to pick her up (LOL). But that got me thinking, how the hell do you take a broad out when you’re in DC, if you don’t have a car? It seems like that would be a pain not having a car for this (I mean who wants to take the bus on a date – not to mention you don’t get the privacy of getting to chill in your car with the broad that really is useful on a first date type of ordeal).


I am guessing you have never lived in a big city. It's not uncommon not to have a car, especially if you live in the city. When I went out on dates I usually met the guy, or occasionally he would pick me up in a cab or on foot. Usually I just met the guy after work. Most of my friends who dated would just meet the guy at the place, or eventually invite them over. I don't remember ever going on a date in DC where the guy picked me up in a car.

BTW, how old are you? Who uses the word "broad" anymore?

Basically, what I was saying is that if you live in DC proper (in an area well-served by public transportation, which is not everywhere), you don't need a car. You can get by without one also if you live in parts of Arlington or Alexandria or Bethesda or Silver Spring that are right by the Metro. But living somewhere in the suburbs that is not walking distance to a Metro station is a pain in the ass without a car. If you want to have a car, live somewhere further out, although it will take at least 30-45 minutes to get to downtown if you live further out. Honestly, unless you live right downtown, which you won't be able to afford (especially with a car), a commute from anywhere will take at least 20-25 minutes. And parking downtown is very expensive, not to mention that driving into DC during rush hour is miserable and takes forever, so plan on taking public transportation to work even if you keep your car.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273409
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:45 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Semi-related note-are there any discount or super cheap grocer type places in DC or in nearby (i.e. metro accessible) VA/MD? I'm thinking Costco, BJ's, Aldi, etc. Even Wegmans-is there a Wegmans? Their store brand is superior to many name brands...oh god Wegmans...

But seriously, I know there's a Safeway about 5 blocks from where I might live in DC, but I'm sure one can go cheaper than Safeway right?


Safeway is pretty cheap...it's hardly an upscale gourmet market. Then again, I moved from DC to NY 6 months ago, so groceries anywhere, even DC, seem cheap to me now.

I have to disagree with those who blanketly say you don't need a car in DC. That really depends on where you live. If you live within walking distance to a metro station or a frequently running bus (S2, S4, 42, H line, etc), you can get by without one. But living near a metro is more expensive. If you are hell bent on having your car, you may be better off living in the outer suburbs like Alexandria or Falls Church where parking at your apartment is often free or much cheaper and the Metro stations have parking (though be advised it's expensive - $4 per day with a Smart card, $7 otherwise, I think). But I would not recommend living in Maryland or Virginia without a car unless you are right by a Metro station. The buses in MD and VA don't run that frequently and many only run during rush hour or only on the weekends. If you want to be able to go out to bars in the city and stay out late, you may end up spending a lot on cabs because the bus from the Metro either doesn't run late at night or runs very infrequently.

If you are going to go the car route, I recommend living in Virginia. Taxes are lower there and car insurance is cheaper. And grocery stores are better in the suburbs - bigger, better selection, and maybe cheaper (I never actually compared).

I had many roommates from craigslist, and most of them worked out fine. A couple ended up not being great matches but I never had a sketchy situation. What you might try doing is finding a short term sublet on craigslist and then using that time to find a more permanent place.


Interesting perspective. This goes completely against the whole you don’t need a car in DC thing, and that it’s too expensive to have a car in DC (particularly if it’s free to park at your apartment). I rented a hotel in Alexandria when I was there for my interview, and that’s not very far at all. I definitely would prefer to live there and have a car, versus staying in DC and not having a car there.

On a similar note, this broad I’ve been “talking” to was telling me this story about how she went out on a blind date with a dude before she met me where the guy was 24 and his dad drove him to pick her up (LOL). But that got me thinking, how the hell do you take a broad out when you’re in DC, if you don’t have a car? It seems like that would be a pain not having a car for this (I mean who wants to take the bus on a date – not to mention you don’t get the privacy of getting to chill in your car with the broad that really is useful on a first date type of ordeal).


I am guessing you have never lived in a big city. It's not uncommon not to have a car, especially if you live in the city. When I went out on dates I usually met the guy, or occasionally he would pick me up in a cab or on foot. Usually I just met the guy after work. Most of my friends who dated would just meet the guy at the place, or eventually invite them over. I don't remember ever going on a date in DC where the guy picked me up in a car.

BTW, how old are you? Who uses the word "broad" anymore?

Basically, what I was saying is that if you live in DC proper (in an area well-served by public transportation, which is not everywhere), you don't need a car. You can get by without one also if you live in parts of Arlington or Alexandria or Bethesda or Silver Spring that are right by the Metro. But living somewhere in the suburbs that is not walking distance to a Metro station is a pain in the ass without a car. If you want to have a car, live somewhere further out, although it will take at least 30-45 minutes to get to downtown if you live further out. Honestly, unless you live right downtown, which you won't be able to afford (especially with a car), a commute from anywhere will take at least 20-25 minutes. And parking downtown is very expensive, not to mention that driving into DC during rush hour is miserable and takes forever, so plan on taking public transportation to work even if you keep your car.


Thanks for the info. Very useful.

rose711
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby rose711 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:24 pm

You sound completely clueless, no offense, and I fear you are going to be eaten alive or totally lost trying to live in an environment so foreign to you that you can't imagine how you will get groceries if you don't drive.

Stop arguing with people about a car, you can't afford it and it is taking money that you need for other things.

I suggest you get in some of the DC schools and DC firm and DC govt threads and start trying to get to know some people who live in DC so you have some people to meet. You need to start cobbling together a support network -so start here and work with what you have in front of you already.

I also suggest that you consider your appearance to be important - you need decent clothes to wear to work and you need to be able to go out with people and look at least well put together. Figure out how to do this even if you have to spend more than you think you want to. If you know no one in DC you will need to network the hell out of the place, so have clothes and money ready to so you can go to events, go places you've been invited, etc. This is more important than paying a few hundred extra dollars on your loans now.

Finally, don't plan on getting a second job, at least not until you have spent a good 3- 5 months clerking, you don't know what the hours will be or what extra work you may want to do there that will help you for your future career. Laying the groundwork so that you can have a good job after a clerkship is more valuable than paying off your loan at this point.

You may not like this advice and it may not be what you want to do, but I think you haven't grasped at all the job/ living situation you are in.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273409
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:34 am

rose711 wrote:You sound completely clueless, no offense, and I fear you are going to be eaten alive or totally lost trying to live in an environment so foreign to you that you can't imagine how you will get groceries if you don't drive.


Sounds about accurate.

rose711 wrote:Stop arguing with people about a car, you can't afford it and it is taking money that you need for other things.


I’m not arguing about it… Although I am considering bringing one and living somewhere like Alexandria if I can get free parking (we’ll see, I have to think about this one more).

rose711 wrote:I suggest you get in some of the DC schools and DC firm and DC govt threads and start trying to get to know some people who live in DC so you have some people to meet. You need to start cobbling together a support network -so start here and work with what you have in front of you already.


Where are these threads? … Do people actually meet each other in real life from TLS? Lol. Everyone on here is so focused on anonymity more than pretty much anywhere else (e.g. the car forums I’m on, it’s not uncommon for people to post up pictures of themselves, their cars, and to meet up at car meets – me and my buddies have done this a lot of times actually).

rose711 wrote:I also suggest that you consider your appearance to be important - you need decent clothes to wear to work and you need to be able to go out with people and look at least well put together. Figure out how to do this even if you have to spend more than you think you want to. If you know no one in DC you will need to network the hell out of the place, so have clothes and money ready to so you can go to events, go places you've been invited, etc. This is more important than paying a few hundred extra dollars on your loans now.


Do you mean for professional networking towards a job or social networking? … I have a good amount of professional attire if you mean the former, and I’m a guy so I really don’t care about being “trendy” for social events with people I socialize with. I’d rather not socialize with people who care about what I’m wearing (not saying I’m completely unconscious of it, but I don’t associate with stuck-up people).

rose711 wrote:Finally, don't plan on getting a second job, at least not until you have spent a good 3- 5 months clerking, you don't know what the hours will be or what extra work you may want to do there that will help you for your future career. Laying the groundwork so that you can have a good job after a clerkship is more valuable than paying off your loan at this point.

You may not like this advice and it may not be what you want to do, but I think you haven't grasped at all the job/ living situation you are in.


No, I do appreciate the advice. It gives me things to think about. Thanks for the reply.

rose711
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby rose711 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:15 pm

The main point I was getting to in the above post is that I think your first priority has to be your career, not paying off debt. You need to focus on doing an excellent job at work and at meeting people who can help you get your next job. That means making sure you look professional, can afford to socialize a bit and don't live so far away that you can't take part in the law/social scene in DC.

Do you mean for professional networking towards a job or social networking? … I have a good amount of professional attire if you mean the former, and I’m a guy so I really don’t care about being “trendy” for social events with people I socialize with. I’d rather not socialize with people who care about what I’m wearing (not saying I’m completely unconscious of it, but I don’t associate with stuck-up people)
.

It is great if you have all the clothes you need for work. I would recommend having at least one good weekend outfit - though I have no idea what lawyers wear as casual wear in DC in the summer - so you can socialize. You don't have to make best friends with these people, you need to meet people who can help you in your career. Who cares if these people are "stuck-up" - I think you should consider to look at changing your attitude about people a bit. The main thing is people who can help you adjust to living in the city so you aren't alone, and people who can help you in your career.

After you are secure in your job, start worrying about getting a second job and putting a huge amount of money on your loans. If you don't get the next job after clerking, you will be SOL - so the next job is an essential focus.

The second point was that if you are going into a city not knowing anyone - you need to make some contacts. I do think that people meet each other from this forum - people post about meeting at ASW and at law school. If you are so concerned about anonymity, you should look around the threads, find people who live in DC and PM people who seem like you might get along with them. There have been several people already in this thread who have posted you specific local information, maybe see if any of them would like to get together.

If you are opposed to meeting people from here, then look up DC bar events. I am not familiar with them, but I know the Association of the Bar of the City of New York has many summer events, so I would assume DC has similar events.

In short, instead of primarily focusing on living as cheaply as possible and getting a second job to repay your loans (though I am 100% in favor of this as a concept) focus first on your career. Get your career going, get familiar with the city where you are living and make as many contacts there as you can - then worry about maxing out your loan payments.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273409
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:30 pm

rose711 wrote:The main point I was getting to in the above post is that I think your first priority has to be your career, not paying off debt. You need to focus on doing an excellent job at work and at meeting people who can help you get your next job. That means making sure you look professional, can afford to socialize a bit and don't live so far away that you can't take part in the law/social scene in DC.

Do you mean for professional networking towards a job or social networking? … I have a good amount of professional attire if you mean the former, and I’m a guy so I really don’t care about being “trendy” for social events with people I socialize with. I’d rather not socialize with people who care about what I’m wearing (not saying I’m completely unconscious of it, but I don’t associate with stuck-up people)
.

It is great if you have all the clothes you need for work. I would recommend having at least one good weekend outfit - though I have no idea what lawyers wear as casual wear in DC in the summer - so you can socialize. You don't have to make best friends with these people, you need to meet people who can help you in your career. Who cares if these people are "stuck-up" - I think you should consider to look at changing your attitude about people a bit. The main thing is people who can help you adjust to living in the city so you aren't alone, and people who can help you in your career.

After you are secure in your job, start worrying about getting a second job and putting a huge amount of money on your loans. If you don't get the next job after clerking, you will be SOL - so the next job is an essential focus.

The second point was that if you are going into a city not knowing anyone - you need to make some contacts. I do think that people meet each other from this forum - people post about meeting at ASW and at law school. If you are so concerned about anonymity, you should look around the threads, find people who live in DC and PM people who seem like you might get along with them. There have been several people already in this thread who have posted you specific local information, maybe see if any of them would like to get together.

If you are opposed to meeting people from here, then look up DC bar events. I am not familiar with them, but I know the Association of the Bar of the City of New York has many summer events, so I would assume DC has similar events.

In short, instead of primarily focusing on living as cheaply as possible and getting a second job to repay your loans (though I am 100% in favor of this as a concept) focus first on your career. Get your career going, get familiar with the city where you are living and make as many contacts there as you can - then worry about maxing out your loan payments.


I hadn’t looked at this way, but you make some excellent points. Thanks!

jacquibala
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby jacquibala » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:26 pm

With your current salary and D.C.'s higher cost of living and student loan debt to now repay, I'd definitely recommend looking in IBR. Since your monthly payment is calculated by your AGI, you could most likely achieve a much lower monthly payment than under a 10 year repayment plan and you could potentially get some forgiveness too at the end.

OldManHunger
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:14 am

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby OldManHunger » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:17 am

.
Last edited by OldManHunger on Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dudders
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby dudders » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:26 am

I would recommend having at least one good weekend outfit - though I have no idea what lawyers wear as casual wear in DC in the summer - so you can socialize.


This calls for a Seersucker Thursday photo.
Image

Anonymous User
Posts: 273409
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:52 pm

jacquibala wrote:With your current salary and D.C.'s higher cost of living and student loan debt to now repay, I'd definitely recommend looking in IBR. Since your monthly payment is calculated by your AGI, you could most likely achieve a much lower monthly payment than under a 10 year repayment plan and you could potentially get some forgiveness too at the end.


OldManHunger wrote:Has anyone pointed out that IBR does 10-year forgiveness for GOVERNMENT jobs, i.e., clerking, not just public service? OP has said he doesn't want to do public service for 10 years. But he's already dedicated to 2 years (as he said, one fifth of his goal repayment time) of gov work. Without any other long-term goal, OP, why don't you go to IBR and plan to either get a third clerkship or a government job--especially since you'll be in DC? Do the government thing for 10 years and you'll meet your goal.


I appreciate the responses, but I’ve discussed why I do not want to do the 10 year IBR plan multiple times in this thread (I realize you probably didn’t read all the posts, but I’m just sayin’). Also, as of right now I only have 1 year in clerking (still haven’t even gotten my apps for 2012-2013 ::eek::). Even if I did have 2 years, IBR still doesn’t make sense because LRAP at my school is a way better plan imo (it just doesn’t cover clerkships though) – read my previous posts where I explain why..

rose711
Posts: 287
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:57 pm

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby rose711 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:08 pm

OP - you know that the seersucker thing is a joke, right? Just checking. :lol:




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.