$15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
BrianGriffintheDog

Re: $15k -- realistic to live in DC with that?

Postby BrianGriffintheDog » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:09 pm

Be prepared to shop from Chinatown for pretty much everything

dcgirl1013

Postby dcgirl1013 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:09 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Semi-related note-are there any discount or super cheap grocer type places in DC or in nearby (i.e. metro accessible) VA/MD? I'm thinking Costco, BJ's, Aldi, etc. Even Wegmans-is there a Wegmans? Their store brand is superior to many name brands...oh god Wegmans...

But seriously, I know there's a Safeway about 5 blocks from where I might live in DC, but I'm sure one can go cheaper than Safeway right?

There is a Trader Joes (its by the GW metro stop) but other than that there is only Safeway and Whole Foods that I know of within the city limits.. I have seen a Harris Teeter in Pentagon City though...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:11 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Alex-Trof wrote:I don't understand. If you go with IBR, can't you pay more than the minimum payments once you make enough money to be done in less than 25 years?

See my previous posts re: LRAP at my school. Also, even if I don't do LRAP, I just want to be debt-free as soon as possible, even if it means living like shit for a few years out of school. I mean I'm not going to work to the point where I'm sacrificing my personal life and stuff like that, but I'm okay with the idea of maybe having to work another job part-time at night to come up with another $5-10k to live off for the year if I need to.

wiseowl wrote:The parking is what will kill you more than anything. "Rent" for your car is more expensive in DC than rent for you in a lot of other markets. Doing this for 2 cars is doubly ridiculous.

You're going to have to cut somewhere, and you've set out some guidelines on what's a "need" and what's a "want". The cars are "wants" in DC. They've gotta go.

Didn't realize simply parking your car in front of your apartment was that expensive (how much is it anyways?). Is DC the type of city where I'll be able to get around to wherever I need to get pretty easily without a car? I know Chicago and NYC are like that, but I didn't think DC was... (I guess I'm just used to thinking of a car as a necessity having lived in smaller/midsize towns all my life where you literally can't get anywhere without a car, unless you are buming rides everywhere, which gets annoying pretty quickly).

The apartment building where I live is $200 a month to park... I think that is pretty average. Most apt places that include parking are much more expensive rent wise. Also I have lived in DC for 4 years without a car and the public transportation is pretty great as long as you just use the metro/walk and don't deal with buses.. I live 4 blocks from a metro stop and it is soo easy! and as to the groceries question you asked earlier, most people just tend to shop for groceries more often here... I go once a week and I have no problem carrying home my groceries (I eat every meal in the apartment as well)

Holy shit! I didn’t realize parking my car in a parking lot would cost $200 /month. That’s $2,400 /year just to park my car. That is completely outrageous. Fuck that. I’m leaving both my cars at my parent’s house for sure if that’s how it’s going to be…

Thanks for the info, it sounds like I’ll be able to live without my car for a year (and now I understand why everyone was telling me that I shouldn’t bring a car there)… I think I’m going to really miss being able to take my ride out on late night cruises though, but at those parking rates, I think I can live without a car.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Alex-Trof wrote:I don't understand. If you go with IBR, can't you pay more than the minimum payments once you make enough money to be done in less than 25 years?

See my previous posts re: LRAP at my school. Also, even if I don't do LRAP, I just want to be debt-free as soon as possible, even if it means living like shit for a few years out of school. I mean I'm not going to work to the point where I'm sacrificing my personal life and stuff like that, but I'm okay with the idea of maybe having to work another job part-time at night to come up with another $5-10k to live off for the year if I need to.

wiseowl wrote:The parking is what will kill you more than anything. "Rent" for your car is more expensive in DC than rent for you in a lot of other markets. Doing this for 2 cars is doubly ridiculous.

You're going to have to cut somewhere, and you've set out some guidelines on what's a "need" and what's a "want". The cars are "wants" in DC. They've gotta go.

Didn't realize simply parking your car in front of your apartment was that expensive (how much is it anyways?). Is DC the type of city where I'll be able to get around to wherever I need to get pretty easily without a car? I know Chicago and NYC are like that, but I didn't think DC was... (I guess I'm just used to thinking of a car as a necessity having lived in smaller/midsize towns all my life where you literally can't get anywhere without a car, unless you are buming rides everywhere, which gets annoying pretty quickly).

dcgirl covered it pretty well above. I think DC is pretty manageable with no car unless you're tucked somewhere deep in Georgetown or near Rock Creek somewhere and on your budget you probably won't have to worry about that.

The Metro is very good, and if all else fails, grab a bus or a cab. Safeway will also deliver groceries for $7-10. If you're worried about shopping, order one less happy hour drink a week and get them to do it for you.

dcgirl1013

Postby dcgirl1013 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The apartment building where I live is $200 a month to park... I think that is pretty average. Most apt places that include parking are much more expensive rent wise. Also I have lived in DC for 4 years without a car and the public transportation is pretty great as long as you just use the metro/walk and don't deal with buses.. I live 4 blocks from a metro stop and it is soo easy! and as to the groceries question you asked earlier, most people just tend to shop for groceries more often here... I go once a week and I have no problem carrying home my groceries (I eat every meal in the apartment as well)

Holy shit! I didn’t realize parking my car in a parking lot would cost $200 /month. That’s $2,400 /year just to park my car. That is completely outrageous. Fuck that. I’m leaving both my cars at my parent’s house for sure if that’s how it’s going to be…

Thanks for the info, it sounds like I’ll be able to live without my car for a year (and now I understand why everyone was telling me that I shouldn’t bring a car there)… I think I’m going to really miss being able to take my ride out on late night cruises though, but at those parking rates, I think I can live without a car.

Yeah you really will be fine without it and you could cut out a lot of money by not having to pay for car insurance as well!! Thats what I've done

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:16 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:
ArthurDigbySellers wrote:Semi-related note-are there any discount or super cheap grocer type places in DC or in nearby (i.e. metro accessible) VA/MD? I'm thinking Costco, BJ's, Aldi, etc. Even Wegmans-is there a Wegmans? Their store brand is superior to many name brands...oh god Wegmans...

But seriously, I know there's a Safeway about 5 blocks from where I might live in DC, but I'm sure one can go cheaper than Safeway right?

There is a Trader Joes (its by the GW metro stop) but other than that there is only Safeway and Whole Foods that I know of within the city limits.. I have seen a Harris Teeter in Pentagon City though...

Trader Joes and Whole Foods are awesome, but they're not really student budget options. That's the thing-I don't want to shop at the super expensive grocers in the city. So Safeway/Harris Teeter is as good as it gets? The nearest Aldi is apparently in West Hyattsville, which I'd have to take the Green Line way the eff out to get to it...yeah not doing that.

And Jesus, Pentagon City is a pain in the ass to get to. I mean, riding the metro is easy enough, but a long ass ride. Any non Whole Foods/Trader Joes/Safeways within 30 minutes of Foggy Bottom/DuPont by metro?

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:18 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:

I think there's a HT in Kalorama and a new one in NE near Gallaudet and Union Station

Theres a BJs a mile south of E. Falls Church on the Orange line and another one about a mile north of Van Dorn Street on the Yellow line in Alexandria.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:23 pm

I'm moving to Crystal City for 2L.

dcgirl1013

Postby dcgirl1013 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:23 pm

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:

Trader Joes and Whole Foods are awesome, but they're not really student budget options. That's the thing-I don't want to shop at the super expensive grocers in the city. So Safeway/Harris Teeter is as good as it gets? The nearest Aldi is apparently in West Hyattsville, which I'd have to take the Green Line way the eff out to get to it...yeah not doing that.

And Jesus, Pentagon City is a pain in the ass to get to. I mean, riding the metro is easy enough, but a long ass ride. Any non Whole Foods/Trader Joes/Safeways within 30 minutes of Foggy Bottom/DuPont by metro?

Pentagon City really isnt that much of a pain to get to. I don't know of any because pretty much everyone I know shops at safeway (there is one on almost every corner it seems). I grew up in the South so everything here seems expensive but I cut coupons and buy what is on sale and it hasn't been too bad. I am living on approx. $25,000 a year though. 50% of my income after rent goes towards alcohol though. That is the hardest thing because DC bars are sooo expensive. I also am a girl who loves to shop so if you took away all my clothes and alcohol purchases I prob spent about $16,000 the past year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:40 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:

Pentagon City really isnt that much of a pain to get to. I don't know of any because pretty much everyone I know shops at safeway (there is one on almost every corner it seems). I grew up in the South so everything here seems expensive but I cut coupons and buy what is on sale and it hasn't been too bad. I am living on approx. $25,000 a year though. 50% of my income after rent goes towards alcohol though. That is the hardest thing because DC bars are sooo expensive. I also am a girl who loves to shop so if you took away all my clothes and alcohol purchases I prob spent about $16,000 the past year.

You spent NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS on cloths and booze last year? Lol. That’s is a lot of money on cloths and booze. Start pre-gaming and/or having guys buy you drinks.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:46 pm

Is having a car in DC really that much of a problem?

dcgirl1013

Postby dcgirl1013 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Pentagon City really isnt that much of a pain to get to. I don't know of any because pretty much everyone I know shops at safeway (there is one on almost every corner it seems). I grew up in the South so everything here seems expensive but I cut coupons and buy what is on sale and it hasn't been too bad. I am living on approx. $25,000 a year though. 50% of my income after rent goes towards alcohol though. That is the hardest thing because DC bars are sooo expensive. I also am a girl who loves to shop so if you took away all my clothes and alcohol purchases I prob spent about $16,000 the past year.[/quote]

You spent NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS on cloths and booze last year? Lol. That’s is a lot of money on cloths and booze. Start pre-gaming and/or having guys buy you drinks.[/quote]

hahaha okay so I thought about this more and I also saved $5,000 and spent $1,500 on travel... Not quite as bad now

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:16 pm

gdane wrote:Is having a car in DC really that much of a problem?

Not as big of a problem as having one in NYC, but more of a problem than just about any other city. You have to pay several hundred dollars for parking and storage and you will not want to drive around anyways because of the traffic.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:25 pm

sundance95 wrote:Probably not possible to do 15k a year in DC proper unless you are going to live somewhere really sketchy. It's absurd to want multiple cars in DC. If you don't mind living in NOVA or MD, then it's possible, but then you are going to pay a shitload for either parking in the city or transit to get there. Also, you'll be living with roommates so you probably won't have two parking spaces, so look forward to parking tickets, etc. Sorry about your hobby but if you want to live on 15k a year it's not going to happen with two cars.

lisjjen wrote:Public transit + pre-gaming is an even better idea - you can still ride so long as you're not noticeably drunk even if you're completely shitfaced.

FTFY.

IMO, TCR for you is to live in a place with roommates in either Arlington or Alexandria where you can walk to Metro. Most things are cheaper in NOVA, but you really don't want to deal with a metro to bus commute, for two reasons. First, it sucks. Secondly, the transit system here is whack and there's no transfers between buses and subways, so it costs a lot more.

I found the SmarTrip card on the metro website, but is that it? Just a reloadable card? No discounted monthly pass at all?

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:27 pm

You used to be able to buy a weekly bus only pass for $11. Doesn't work for metro. You can't buy month passes for some reason. :evil:

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Borhas wrote:
Shit, I do need all of this stuff though. I have to wear suits to work on a large number of days, a cell phone is necessity and I won't get one from work. Sounds like I may be needing to get a 2nd job ::eek:: What do other law students do that are in DC making $60k /year? ... It's weird because $60k isn't a half bad salary for just freshly leaving school, but it leaves me with so little money after law school loans. It's such bullshit that my school's LRAP isn't going to cover any of my loans (which are all a result of money I paid to them) next year.

wardrobe? go to goodwill
cellphone? $30/month ought to cover it
alcohol? Aristocrat in a flask
car? how about a moped?
rent? live in the ghetto (or w/ some GMU students in NOVA)

you could definitely make it, even have some fun with it (well that might be a stretch)

Nah man, you can get good cheap vodka. I got some Sobieski for 6.99 (edit: might've been 8.99 but still) once at Wegmans (though it depends on how archaic your jurisdiction's liquor laws are, how expensive the city, etc.). Luksusowa is pretty cheap if you can find it. Svedka is never more than $15 here in fucking New "no you can't buy liquor at a grocery store haha fuck you" York state. But I digress. Aristrocrat is serviceable but there is plenty of cheap and halfway decent or even really good liquor. Vodka's pretty awesome because no matter how shitty it is, you can just toss it in the freezer, pour it into some juice or gatorade and not notice. Just don't buy fucking Barton's.

Also, PBR. Only cheap beer I can stand.
Last edited by ArthurDigbySellers on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:36 pm

- Correct, no monthly metro passes, best option is SmarTrip, which I believe saves you a quarter or so during peak times. Expect to spend at least $75/month for public transit costs if you're commuting every day, and remember the further you live from the city, the more the Metro costs (they charge based on total stops you travel, unlike in NYC where its a flat fee). Buses are still a flat fee though, and depending on the route they are actually pretty reliable (and the Circulators are even cheaper if one is near you).

- Grocery delivery is the way to go. Sure, you can get some stuff at TJ's or Whole Foods, but if you shop right, buying things that are on sale online, you can easily get enough discounts to cover the delivery charge of $7-10. Also, if you sign up for Peapod and then Safeway's delivery at separate times, you can score 60 days free delivery for each one, so like 4 months free.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:38 pm

Sup Kid wrote:- Correct, no monthly metro passes, best option is SmarTrip, which I believe saves you a quarter or so during peak times. Expect to spend at least $75/month for public transit costs if you're commuting every day, and remember the further you live from the city, the more the Metro costs (they charge based on total stops you travel, unlike in NYC where its a flat fee). Buses are still a flat fee though, and depending on the route they are actually pretty reliable (and the Circulators are even cheaper if one is near you).

- Grocery delivery is the way to go. Sure, you can get some stuff at TJ's or Whole Foods, but if you shop right, buying things that are on sale online, you can easily get enough discounts to cover the delivery charge of $7-10. Also, if you sign up for Peapod and then Safeway's delivery at separate times, you can score 60 days free delivery for each one, so like 4 months free.

Delivery is worth it even if the nearest Safeway is only a ten minute walk? I'll take your word for it. Grocery shopping without a car blows.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Sup Kid wrote:- Correct, no monthly metro passes, best option is SmarTrip, which I believe saves you a quarter or so during peak times. Expect to spend at least $75/month for public transit costs if you're commuting every day, and remember the further you live from the city, the more the Metro costs (they charge based on total stops you travel, unlike in NYC where its a flat fee). Buses are still a flat fee though, and depending on the route they are actually pretty reliable (and the Circulators are even cheaper if one is near you).

Delivery is worth it even if the nearest Safeway is only a ten minute walk? I'll take your word for it. Grocery shopping without a car blows.

Well, for a 10-minute walk, I'd probably shop there in person most of the time, and if I want to stock up on stuff do delivery once every 4-6 weeks or so. The point is though you still get all their sale prices online, so the couple of dollars for delivery may be well worth it.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:52 pm

bk1 wrote:That's reasonable enough. I think anybody today would have paid sticker in your situation.

I understand you want to be debt free within 10 years (I have the same goal and is how I am choosing which school to attend) so I think your best bet is to figure out how much it is going to take you to live and then put everything else towards your loan repayments. You might make it in 10 years depending on what your next job is and how your salary changes but I think that a more realistic goal, at this point in time, is more like 15 years. If your salary goes up, you can start paying more back. So if you want a car, understand that that means more time paying back your loans. Simply put, I think you're going about this backwards. Due to the size of your loan and the money you are making, first figure out what you can live on and then figure out how many years you can shave down your repayments to. As others have noted, $15k isn't going to cut it.

That being said, it is a bit risky because you aren't saving anything and you will basically be at the whim of any sort of unexpected situation that comes up.

Speaking of saving, you shouldn't put all of your money into your loans. Splurge on a roth IRA or something--the time to do that is now, in your mid 20s. Fund that as much as you can AND pay off your loans. You don't need that much money-Schwab lets you fund it at $100 a month until you meet the $1000 minimum or whatever the fuck

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:57 pm

I had a friend put a fucking Kindle on craigslist and got multiple emails within an hour, and you're telling me you couldn't have sold an IPHONE under better circumstances to someone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:22 pm

Sup Kid wrote:

Well, for a 10-minute walk, I'd probably shop there in person most of the time, and if I want to stock up on stuff do delivery once every 4-6 weeks or so. The point is though you still get all their sale prices online, so the couple of dollars for delivery may be well worth it.

The time it saves you to actually go grocery shopping is well worth the $7-10. If they offered that where I'm at right now, I would definetely do grocery delivery.

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:I had a friend put a fucking Kindle on craigslist and got multiple emails within an hour, and you're telling me you couldn't have sold an IPHONE under better circumstances to someone else?

Not trying to derail this thread too much, but pretty much I was trying to flip the phone that day. I got a ton of calls from a bunch of fucking idiots all day long (not to be racist, but it was all incredibly ghetto and ignorant black people or Mexicans), who would ask me about stuff that was on the title of the craigslist post (such as whether the phone was unlocked), and then when I would tell them that was correct, they would just say “okay, let me call you back.” I couldn’t deal with that shit, and I was leaving town the next day so I needed to flip the phone. When I sold the last couple iphones I had, I just sold them on ebay because I didn’t want to deal with the ghettoness of those fucks calling me, even though ebay rapes you on charges now.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:not to be racist, but it was all incredibly ghetto and ignorant black people or Mexicans

Ah, the "Not to be X, oh wait I'm totally being X," formula never fails.

ArthurDigbySellers

Postby ArthurDigbySellers » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sup Kid wrote:

The time it saves you to actually go grocery shopping is well worth the $7-10. If they offered that where I'm at right now, I would definetely do grocery delivery.

ArthurDigbySellers wrote:I had a friend put a fucking Kindle on craigslist and got multiple emails within an hour, and you're telling me you couldn't have sold an IPHONE under better circumstances to someone else?

Not trying to derail this thread too much, but pretty much I was trying to flip the phone that day. I got a ton of calls from a bunch of fucking idiots all day long (not to be racist, but it was all incredibly ghetto and ignorant black people or Mexicans), who would ask me about stuff that was on the title of the craigslist post (such as whether the phone was unlocked), and then when I would tell them that was correct, they would just say “okay, let me call you back.” I couldn’t deal with that shit, and I was leaving town the next day so I needed to flip the phone. When I sold the last couple iphones I had, I just sold them on ebay because I didn’t want to deal with the ghettoness of those fucks calling me, even though ebay rapes you on charges now.

Makes sense...under different circumstances that might be considered racist, but you have to be careful selling shit off craigslist

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:56 pm

No. (as answer to the basic question).

Return to “Legal Employment”