2 Journals or LR & Moot Court Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

2 Journals or LR + Moot Court

Poll ended at Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:35 am

2 Journals
4%
LR+Moot Court
96%

Total votes: 28

Anonymous User

2 Journals or LR & Moot Court

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:35 am

Better for overall employment prospects? I am looking to do a clerkship after graduation. Then I would like to attempt to do the State --> Federal Prosecutor career path.

blueprint87

New

Re: 2 Journals or LR & Moot Court

Post by blueprint87 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:58 am

Last edited by blueprint87 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:49 am

Just do LR and get good grades. Second journal is a waste of time.

blueprint87

New

Post by blueprint87 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:13 am

Unless you really have a passion for secondary journal topic, I would spend time on LR and focusing on grades. Moot Court could be helpful if you do well in a competition.

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:18 am

blueprint87 wrote:Unless you really have a passion for secondary journal topic, I would spend time on LR and focusing on grades. Moot Court could be helpful if you do well in a competition.
0L here, but have question.

Let's say for argument's sake that I do pursue a secondary journal because I'm interested in the topic. If I'm from a software background, and would like to get my feet wet in scholarship directly related to technology, would employers ever see this in a positive way (provided that my grades were already sufficient for LR).

So I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is secondary journal ever > than LR?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:34 am

EdmundBurke23 wrote:0L here, but have question.

Let's say for argument's sake that I do pursue a secondary journal because I'm interested in the topic. If I'm from a software background, and would like to get my feet wet in scholarship directly related to technology, would employers ever see this in a positive way (provided that my grades were already sufficient for LR).

No, a secondary journal is never better than law review. The "law review" line on your resume tells employers that you either had one of the highest GPAs or were one of the best writers at your law school; there is nothing equivalent that conveys the same message.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:35 am

EdmundBurke23 wrote:
blueprint87 wrote:Unless you really have a passion for secondary journal topic, I would spend time on LR and focusing on grades. Moot Court could be helpful if you do well in a competition.
0L here, but have question.

No. LR is a generalist publication, it may hit on your topic while you're on it. Also, you can write your note on a tech subject.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”