SMAE on Secondary Journal or Staff Member on Law Review?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which is better for employment?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:59 am

SMAE on Secondary (Instead of LR)?
No votes
Law Review (Regardless of position)?
100%

Total votes: 26

Anonymous User

SMAE on Secondary Journal or Staff Member on Law Review?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:59 am

Hello,

I have read the posts of similar questions, however, I do not believe they have given a specific answer to this question (I could be wrong. If so, please point me in the right direction). Would it be better to be a Senior Managing Articles Editor (SMAE) on a secondary journal during 2L, which I may have an opportunity to do, or take a staff position on Law Review? Would Managing Articles Editor (2L) of secondary trump staff position on LR? I am thinking it could be a close call on the first comparison but probably would be LR>MAE for second. Let me know if you have particular experience with these choices. Also, any general thoughts would help as to how each choice might affect employment prospects, etc. Thanks! Please give explanation if you vote in the poll.

Sup Kid

Re: SMAE on Secondary Journal or Staff Member on Law Review?

Postby Sup Kid » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:06 am

Every journal has different names for their positions, so it is extremely rare that a secondary journal position is ever better than law review -- basically, an employer understands what LR is, but not necessarily what an SMAE does. I would probably say LR over anything else, but concede that EIC of a secondary may, in some cases, be better. Your case though, is a no-brainer: accept LR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:25 am

If you got to school ranked relatively low (i.e. not in top 20 or top 30), and your grades aren't good enough to get the best of the best, pick the position that entails the least work.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:05 pm

Law Review is always better. Everyone knows what it means--you either had top grades or were one of the top writers in your school. SMAE (and even EIC) of a secondary journal does not convey that message.
Last edited by Cavalier on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:47 pm

I did both a secondary journal Ed Board position and a general member LR position as a 2L. If you have an interest in the topic of the secondary journal, why not do both? You'll get more experience if writing is your passion. It will be crazy time consuming, but it's manageable.

seriousstudenttt

Postby seriousstudenttt » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:09 pm

Every employer knows what law review stands for, but the same can't be said about editorial positions on secondaries. There are some truly shitty secondary journals that let anyone with a pulse join (and employers know that). Go with law review.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:54 pm

Cavalier wrote:Law Review is always better. Everyone knows what it means--you either had top grades or were one of the top writers in your school. SMAE (and even EIC) of a secondary journal does not convey that message.

^this. And then do managing board of Law Review for your 3L year.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:03 pm

I love how this is a complete shutout. LR, my friend.

Return to “Legal Employment”