Prescribed Ritalin and Drug Testing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Prescribed Ritalin and Drug Testing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:48 pm

How does that work? Obviously, you can show the testing people a note from your doctor, but do they tell the prospective employer that you are positive for amphetamines but it's prescribed? Or once it's prescribed, they can't report it? I wouldn't want anyone to know about it even though it's legal.

schmohawk

Re: Prescribed Ritalin and Drug Testing

Postby schmohawk » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How does that work? Obviously, you can show the testing people a note from your doctor, but do they tell the prospective employer that you are positive for amphetamines but it's prescribed? Or once it's prescribed, they can't report it? I wouldn't want anyone to know about it even though it's legal.

Who is making you take a drug test?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:20 pm

schmohawk wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How does that work? Obviously, you can show the testing people a note from your doctor, but do they tell the prospective employer that you are positive for amphetamines but it's prescribed? Or once it's prescribed, they can't report it? I wouldn't want anyone to know about it even though it's legal.

Who is making you take a drug test?

Nobody, yet. I'm an 0L and the question is presently theoretical.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:25 pm

Aren't medical conditions confidential? And amphetamines are out of your system 5 days MAX.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:32 pm

bartleby wrote:Aren't medical conditions confidential? And amphetamines are out of your system 5 days MAX.

I'm just wondering if the lab results will be presented as "Tested positive but legal" or they'll just be "Negative".

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:06 pm

Hi anonymous 0L! Let me set out a few timelines for you.

Drug test --> positive for amphetamines --> no explanation --> no job

"I'm prescribed ADHD drugs" --> drug test --> positive for amphetamines --> potential job

"I don't want to tell you why, but I'm going to test positive for amphetamines, it's not illegal though trust me" --> no job

This is a really weird question. I'm pretty sure drug tests don't tell you if someone is legally prescribed something--any failed med students know??? Am I missing something here? Are you taking so much Ritalin you're paranoid you won't be hired because of a recognized medical condition? Because what the fuck man, you haven't even been to law school to have the common sense sucked out of you yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:17 pm

Omerta wrote:

Hi anonymous 0L! Let me set out a few timelines for you.

Drug test --> positive for amphetamines --> no explanation --> no job

"I'm prescribed ADHD drugs" --> drug test --> positive for amphetamines --> potential job

"I don't want to tell you why, but I'm going to test positive for amphetamines, it's not illegal though trust me" --> no job

This is a really weird question. I'm pretty sure drug tests don't tell you if someone is legally prescribed something--any failed med students know??? Am I missing something here? Are you taking so much Ritalin you're paranoid you won't be hired because of a recognized medical condition? Because what the fuck man, you haven't even been to law school to have the common sense sucked out of you yet.

Way to miss the boat. It's a simple question - If I present a doctor's confirmation, will the people making the hiring decision know about a legal positive, and thus the best option is to avoid a positive altogether, or will the information not go past the person/lab administering the drug test, and thus, one need not worry about legal positives?

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:29 pm

I don't think it's possible to know the answer to this unless we know the specific employer. My bet would be that the employer will be informed of your test results regardless, and you will need to explain the positive to them.

springfever

Postby springfever » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:35 pm

You are on ritalin. You have over 30,000 posts. I suggest you get with your Doctor and maybe adjust the dosage. Not trying to be flip, but ...

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:42 pm

springfever wrote:You are on ritalin. You have over 30,000 posts. I suggest you get with your Doctor and maybe adjust the dosage. Not trying to be flip, but ...

LoL all truly anonymous posts get counted together under the "Anonymous User" moniker.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:04 pm

It's called the Americans with Disabilities Act and it prevents discrimination based on your disability. You'll be fine. They might even like you more.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:58 am

springfever wrote:You are on ritalin. You have over 30,000 posts. I suggest you get with your Doctor and maybe adjust the dosage. Not trying to be flip, but ...

lol, cruising the internet and concentrating like a motherfucker

springfever

Postby springfever » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:18 am

My bad! I realized my mistake as soon as I posted. I apologize. In my defense there have been some crazy "made up" posts lately.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:50 am

And you're an idiot.

Return to “Legal Employment”