1L summer/ 2L fall internship advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which would you choose?

1) State Supreme Court. Not assigned to a specific judge, you work for their clerks and staff attorneys. Non-elite state.
12%
2) Federal District Court Judge that is not nationally known. Located in a large but Non-elite city
58%
3) United States Attorney's Office Civil Division. Large office but it is in a non-elite state.
30%

Total votes: 43

Anonymous User

1L summer/ 2L fall internship advice

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:24 pm

I just received my internship offers for the fall. Which would you choose and why? Any thoughts and advice are appreciated. What are the prestige factors and implications for firm hiring for each? I am top 10% and go to a TTT (T50) that is regionally respected but not much else.

1) State Supreme Court. Not assigned to a specific judge, you work for their clerks and staff attorneys. Non-elite state.
2) Federal District Court Judge that is not nationally known. Located in a large but Non-elite city
3) United States Attorney's Office Civil Division. Large office but it is in a non-elite state.

You can only choose one. Thanks for your help I have to choose very soon.

While I do not like anonymous posts I need to keep this one anonymous because my classmates and at least one of the clerks from the above frequent TLS

Anonymous User

Re: 1L summer/ 2L fall internship advice

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:09 am

<- OP

Another offer came in for the local DA's office. I am not adding it to the list because I am pretty sure I do not want it.

I am hoping for someone with experience or knowledge to rank the prestige of the options if I am looking to be hired by a civil litigation law firm.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:43 pm

What are elite cities/elite states?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:47 pm

I had the luxury of choosing between state supreme court and federal district court (both in home state). Went with federal district court because I'm very interest to see the trial-level court in action and the whole internship just sounded like it was going to be an overall better experience. I just wasn't as enthusiastic about the state supreme court opportunity. You really can't go wrong here, though.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:13 pm

I picked the fed judge, but the USAO would be awesome as well. SSC is fine if you want to work in that state, but I don't know if I'd do it over fed district or USAO unless you particularly liked the judge.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:24 pm

<---OP
Moxie wrote:What are elite cities/elite states?

NY/CA/LA/CHICAGO. Homebases of biglaw where there is a revolving door between USAOs and major law firms. To an extent that is everywhere. My point was that these offers are not in SDNY or LA.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:11 am

Where do you want to work?

If the Fed judge and the State judge are in the same state, and you want to work there, take either (although I imagine the state judge might be better for familiarity with the local market).

If one is in a state where you'd like to work, take that state.

If neither is in a state you'd like to work, take the Fed judge.

Same thing applies to USAO.

It's all about where you'd like to work here.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:06 am

Don't have much to add between USAO and Fed judge, as I believe that is a preference choice.

However, I think SSC should be taken out based on not working with one judge or one clerk. It appears to severely hamper any ability to get close to someone and build up a letter of recommendation and limits networking. Working from one to the other, to me at least, just screams clerical duties with no research involved and no credit given to you for your work. Caveat - I may be wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:32 pm

<-----OP

I accepted the USAO job. Thank you for the replies. Any advice from those who have interned there?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:43 pm

this is taking "elite" to another level...what the hell does "non-elite state" mean?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 am

tallboone wrote:this is taking "elite" to another level...what the hell does "non-elite state" mean?
New Mexico vs. New York. Which would you consider more elite? I know it isn't really accurate as different courts are different and so forth. But perception wise and for the majority of people, New York would be considered more elite... Due to more people being interested in the location and applying there meaning they likely accept a lower percentage of people applying. Not saying it is a good thing to try and state because courts can be judge specific and numerous other issues, but it was pretty easy to understand in the abstract.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:47 pm

That's fine, and I knew what the OP meant, I just think it is an excessively dumb way to characterize a state. How about just saying "more populous?" A state can't really be elite. It can have more power/influence (population), but they all get two Senators.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:30 pm

<---- OP
tallboone wrote:That's fine, and I knew what the OP meant, I just think it is an excessively dumb way to characterize a state. How about just saying "more populous?" A state can't really be elite. It can have more power/influence (population), but they all get two Senators.

I was only using terms I learned here at TLS to aid in understanding. It wasn't excessively dumb if you knew what I meant. I would have named the states but the people involved could use inductive reasoning and easily figure out who I am. That would be a disaster for reasons I cannot get into without giving myself away.

Yes, a state can be elite. I am obviously not talking about the electoral college, I am talking about legal prominence. Have you ever wondered why there are so many high paying legal jobs in New York? Why half the cases in your casebook are from New York? It is a place where elite lawyers gather. Texas and Florida are very powerful and populous states.... are they elite in the legal sense? All other factors besides prestige aside would you rather work in the USAO in Texas/Florida or New York/California? The answer is obvious.

I clarified the "eliteness" because being in the USAO in SDNY would be WAY better than a federal district court in Helena, Montana. On the other hand a Federal district court spot in NY may be better than USAO in Montana. The questions of "where?" where inevitable and I wanted to give as much info as I could without risking anything.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:48 pm

<---- OP.

The district judge just called me personally and asked me my plans and discussed the benefits of interning in his chamber. It was unreal.

I was thinking USAO but now and rethinking. I have no idea which to pick.

gradesmatter

New

Post by gradesmatter » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:06 pm

fed judge-especially if you want to be a litigator.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:<---- OP.

The district judge just called me personally and asked me my plans and discussed the benefits of interning in his chamber. It was unreal.

I was thinking USAO but now and rethinking. I have no idea which to pick.
You normally don't say no to a federal judge. Not a big deal for 1L internships, but just a FYI general rule of thumb....i.e. if this were an offer for clerkship, it would be bad form to say no.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:07 pm

OP: go with the federal judge if you have any aspirations whatsoever of clerking post-law school. The facetime, recommendations and general experience on the résumé line are invaluable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:33 pm

I would take the fed judge after his personal phone call. Seems like he really likes you and fed judges have a lot of pull.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:23 am

<----- OP

Due to my school's acceptance system I was able to back out of the ASUA internship without them knowing that I backed out. Going with the Judge now and did not burn any bridges.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”