What is the Resume Format for a JD/MBA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
valley splitter

What is the Resume Format for a JD/MBA

Postby valley splitter » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:23 pm

I'm wondering if there is a standard/acceptable/preferred format for a JD/MBA resume. I have been unable to get an answer from my law school's career services offices and I really want to send out an updated resume. Currently, my resume looks as follows:

XYZ University School of Law
J.D. Candidate, Expected May 2013
Honors
Activities

I am wondering if I should write JD/MBA candidate under School of Law or list the School of Business and MBA separately from the Law School and JD.

Alternatively, should I just combine both schools on one line and then list my JD/MBA candidacy thus highlighting its joint nature?

Sorry about all these questions, but I am really lost on this and it seems like no one really knows. Thanks guys.

valley splitter

Re: What is the Resume Format for a JD/MBA

Postby valley splitter » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:11 pm

bump

florentine

Postby florentine » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:00 pm

I would like to know too! Also, are you doing it at SCU Law?? I ask because I wanted to do JD/MBA at SCU and I wanted to know how hard it was to get into both programs and if they make any concessions for you if you have already gotten into the JD program. Thank you!

wolverine2014

Postby wolverine2014 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:03 pm

valley splitter wrote:I'm wondering if there is a standard/acceptable/preferred format for a JD/MBA resume. I have been unable to get an answer from my law school's career services offices and I really want to send out an updated resume. Currently, my resume looks as follows:

XYZ University School of Law
J.D. Candidate, Expected May 2013
Honors
Activities

I am wondering if I should write JD/MBA candidate under School of Law or list the School of Business and MBA separately from the Law School and JD.

Alternatively, should I just combine both schools on one line and then list my JD/MBA candidacy thus highlighting its joint nature?

Sorry about all these questions, but I am really lost on this and it seems like no one really knows. Thanks guys.

I would separate the two.

mythosopher

Postby mythosopher » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:00 pm

I would, personally, suggest not separating them. Doing so suggests that you did each program separately, rather than getting a joint degree, which I assume is what you have. Joint degrees are exactly that: joint. Can't separate them. Part of the reason I say this is because some schools have "dual" degree programs, which are different than joint degrees. You actually earn two separate degrees at the same time.

I also think it saves you space. If it bugs you, put down both school's names.

XYZ Law School/ABC Business College
JD/MBA Candidate, expected May 2013
Blah blah blah

D-ROCCA

Postby D-ROCCA » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:08 pm

I've only ever seen people use a combined JD/MBA candidate signature.

HITeacher2

Postby HITeacher2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:40 am

As a JD/MBA, I suggest you ask your business school's career office if there is a template the school uses and what the standard form is.

If your business school either 1) won't communicate with you or 2) can't answer you, you're not in a very good JD/MBA program...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:58 am

Absolutely separate them. It's too easy for someone looking at hundreds of resumes to gloss over it if it is listed as "JD/MBA." You are receiving a Juris Doctor and a Master's Degree. Separate them.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:05 am

Our law school's CSO gave us this format:

Law School, City, State
B-School, City, State
J.D./M.B.A. expected May 20xx
Law School GPA: x.xx; Business School GPA:x.xx
-
-
-
-
-

valley splitter

Postby valley splitter » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:38 pm

florentine wrote:I would like to know too! Also, are you doing it at SCU Law?? I ask because I wanted to do JD/MBA at SCU and I wanted to know how hard it was to get into both programs and if they make any concessions for you if you have already gotten into the JD program. Thank you!

I am actually doing it at SCU and as far as admission into the program, my understanding is that the Business School's acceptance rate for law students going into the JD/MBA program is higher than that of regular students trying to get into the school. This might likely be attributed to the fact that fewer people apply to the JD/MBA program than to the regular MBA program. You do have to get accepted to the law school first. Let me know if I can answer anything else.

Thanks guys. I'm still trying to figure out how to format my resume, but I've come across some examples online and my Business school told me to come in on Monday.

Return to “Legal Employment”