how important are teeth

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

which option

veneers
12%
braces behind the teeth
49%
regular braces
20%
regular braces w/ head gear
13%
no braces - let it ride
6%

Total votes: 69

bartleby

how important are teeth

Postby bartleby » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:48 am

considered doing this anonymously but i didn't want it to get confused for "joking around" and get banned.

i have bad teeth. i never got braces as a kid. i thought about getting them during college but didn't. took a year off to definitely get them but ended up dropping the 5 grand i had saved (for that purpose) to pay off my ug loans.

my teeth are seriously jacked but it hasn't messed with my employment prospects, social life, whatever - but i find myself checking people's teeth out more and more. i have a few options:

1. veneers - i got a hook up so i can probably get them done for 15 grand. this sounds like a lot but i know these dentists charge anywhere from 50-100. i'd probably be getting them done at just a few g's above cost. money isn't a huge factor but i know veneers are just a shitty, shiny substitute for the real thing. people with veneers have a bunch of issues w/ them in the future

2. those inside braces. braces behind the teeth instead of outside. i think it'll cost about 5 grand. might mess with my enunciation, which already sucks.

3. normal braces - i just can't do it.

4. normal braces w/ the full head gear - i just can't do it

5. fuck it, no braces

i need to get this taken care of. i was studying the lsat at starbucks 2 years ago and a lawyer came up to me and started talking to me. he had invisiline (which i don't qualify for). i thought he was a dork. i don't want to be that guy.
Last edited by bartleby on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

paratactical

Re: how important are teeth

Postby paratactical » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:49 am

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:51 am

sorry (sp) issues, i don't qualify. it is actually just my bottom teeth so i've learned to hide it somewhat well over the years - but after an hour or so, everyone is bound to notice.

Ginj

Postby Ginj » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:51 am

he had invisiline (which i don't qualify for).

I know that I look at people's teeth often. I voted for behind the teeth braces. But, you know, I guess it depends on how bad your teeth are.
Last edited by Ginj on Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

esq

Postby esq » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:53 am

bartleby wrote:i thought he was a dork. i don't want to be that guy.

Too late.

Law school isn't a fashion show, so do what you need to do with your fucked up teeth, or don't.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:56 am

D'oh. Read too fast.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:02 pm

I think this is any overall self confidence issue. If it is something that really bothers you then you should do something about it for the sake of self esteem.

But that being said. Do not be the 30 year old junior associate that has braces. AVOID BRACES.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:10 pm

It's hard to tell how jacked your teeth are without a picture. If they look bad but not like "omfg I can't listen to this guy cuz his teeth look like Picasso threw them shits in there", then you shouldn't stress it. Otherwise, speak to a dentist/orthodontist. You don't need to get them perfect, but just not noticeably bad. I would avoid braces like the plague.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:13 pm

nah, i know law school isn't a fashion show but i think good teeth is probably more like wearing a suit to an interview rather than what type of suit. i think i will take the plunge with behind the teeth braces.

lol @ beendid that - my lower teeth really are jacked. picasso jacked. i'd take a picture of my penis and post it on here before doing that.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:14 pm

bartleby wrote:lol @ beendid that - my lower teeth really are jacked. picasso jacked. i'd take a picture of my penis and post it on here before doing that.

PM me pix. thnx.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:15 pm

If it's just the bottom teeth, I don't think it would be that bad to get normal braces on the inside or the outside. I'd do it in law school, and I don't think people would think it was weird or anything. Totally understandable to want to do that in school before you kick off your professional career.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Anecdotally, I know several successful lawyers and they all have teeth. So I would strongly recommend them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:20 pm

I was really self concious about my teeth, too, and convinced myself that a lawyer should have a good smile :lol:... and so
I currently have braces, and im in my mid 20s. I opted for a more expensive line (called Insignia), and also paid extra for clear ceramic brackets so they're not very visible. My DR told me my time went from 18-25 months to 9 months, because the Insignia braces cuts the time down by moving your teeth faster and more efficiently or something... i don't really understand the science of it. All I know is no head gear, less time, smaller braces and less appts to get them tightened (which hurts like a bitch).
I also was not eligible for braces on the inside of my teeth or invisiline because of the way my teeth were alligned, so traditional braces was my only real option.

Look into this brand. I got my braces in August, and I saw results, like serious results by the end of september. I couldnt be happier, and the cost was a little under 8K.

Good luck!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:21 pm

But more seriously, I think good teeth are important. It's like on the first episode of 30 Rock:

Tracy: You know why I should do your show, Liz Lemon? Because I'm going to make you RICH!

Liz: How do you know I'm not already rich?

Tracy: Your teeth!

It's really true.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:27 pm

jarofsoup wrote:But that being said. Do not be the 30 year old junior associate that has braces. AVOID BRACES.

Are braces really that looked down upon? I can't imagine someone of any age not getting hired or not being liked because of braces. but that being said, expect to be shit on a lot about it (in a joking matter).

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:17 pm

I got in a bike crash when I was younger that caused some damage to my front two teeth. I got those veneered and crowned recently as a wedding present, and I have to say it was a fantastic gift and has made a huge difference for me. 15k is a lot, however, and the thing is that you absolutely must make sure your dentist is at the tip top of his profession if you are going to go with veneers; otherwise, your teeth will look enormous.

As a secondary consideration, veneers will be a much less pleasant procedure. Good luck choosing.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:18 pm

2011Law wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:But that being said. Do not be the 30 year old junior associate that has braces. AVOID BRACES.

Are braces really that looked down upon? I can't imagine someone of any age not getting hired or not being liked because of braces. but that being said, expect to be shit on a lot about it (in a joking matter).

This is too funny - not because braces are funny, but because the timing of this post hits me personally. My dentist just recommended seeing an ortho for a consult about braces yesterday, and I just about laughed in his face. I told my husband that there is no way in hell I can be a 30 year old new associate at a NYC firm with braces. Although this doesn't give any insight whatsoever, I am just glad someone else can relate to what I was feeling. And that it's really not an irrational concern!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:22 pm

I mean dental work is expensive. I'd say veeners if you have the money and deal with the braces if not. You could also look into picking a fight and having all your teeth knocked out. I bet your regular insurance would pay for it then.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:23 pm

AreJay711 wrote:I mean dental work is expensive. I'd say veeners if you have the money and deal with the braces if not. You could also look into picking a fight and having all your teeth knocked out. I bet your regular insurance would pay for it then.

Only if you want dentures. No way insurance is paying for implants.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:26 pm

sundance95 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:I mean dental work is expensive. I'd say veeners if you have the money and deal with the braces if not. You could also look into picking a fight and having all your teeth knocked out. I bet your regular insurance would pay for it then.

Only if you want dentures. No way insurance is paying for implants.

Damn, nvm then.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:32 pm

nice responses. teeth... there's no insurance on braces when you're over 18/19. so i def. lose out on a few grand and am kicking myself for being such a fail in high school.

i don't want to give too much of my identity away - probably too late - but the cosmetic surgeons are pretty top notch and advertise nationally. i don't think the money really is an issue, i just don't like the idea of having my teeth shaven into little points before getting them capped.

anyway, i scheduled four consults next, next tuesday. is it terrible that i'm thinking, "well i'm about to take out 100k in loans for law school, what's another 5 or 6?" it is a life investment though and i'll take any slight edges i can get.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:35 pm

bartleby wrote:i just don't like the idea of having my teeth shaven into little points before getting them capped.

I hear that. It's fucking disturbing to see. I only had two done-were you going to get your entire set? That would be pretty miserable, but if they are top notch, then it's worth considering.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Get braces. People with jacked up teeth disturb me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:37 pm

bartleby wrote: there's no insurance on braces when you're over 18/19.

:shock: Is this true as a general rule for all insurance companies? Did not know this...

Edit: Didn't mean to make this anonymous. Any mods can fix. Sorry.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:45 pm

sundance95 wrote:
bartleby wrote:i just don't like the idea of having my teeth shaven into little points before getting them capped.

I hear that. It's fucking disturbing to see. I only had two done-were you going to get your entire set? That would be pretty miserable, but if they are top notch, then it's worth considering.

at the risk of sounding like a bitch, my girlfriend actually won't let me. haha... she worked there for about 5 years - the assistants literally got paid 6 figures - 1% (before the econ crashed) and she said it was just crazy. what i was thinking about was getting all my teeth shaved down and capped. it is sick.

couple celebs flew in to get it done, but i talked to the dentists at xmas parties and even they were just like...porcelain is good but go with the real thing if you can. i'm young-ish so i don't want to really make such a perm. decision. i had a few friends who were engineers who got it done there (they don't have to worry about law school tuition) and they have some nice ass teeth. maybe even too nice though.

Return to “Legal Employment”