Difficulty of getting an ADA position in big city?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Difficulty of getting an ADA position in big city?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:00 pm

I'm wondering how hard it is to get an entry-level position as an assistant district attorney in a large metropolitan area? I ask because I'm considering trying out for the trial team at my school. Generally people tryout as 1Ls, but a few 2Ls tryout every year. If I made the team it would be a large amount of time next year, and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

I'm currently a 2L at a non-T14 tier 1 school in a large metropolitan area. My GPA is right around median, but I worked in DA's office last summer, and I'll be working in DA's office again this summer. I also plan on interning with a DA's office next year. With all this actual work experience, would trial team add anything substantial to my post-graduation employment prospects?

patrickd139

Re: Difficulty of getting an ADA position in big city?

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:01 am

Any advice you receive is going to be worthless without knowing which city you're in. Getting a job as an entry level DA in Houston can be done from the middle of your class at Baylor. T14 students regularly compete for positions in NYC and DC, when they're hiring at all.

Also, not specifying more info is ridiculous when you're posting anonymously.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:06 am

patrickd139 wrote:Any advice you receive is going to be worthless without knowing which city you're in. Getting a job as an entry level DA in Houston can be done from the middle of your class at Baylor. T14 students regularly compete for positions in NYC and DC, when they're hiring at all.

DC doesn't have a DA's office and I really wonder about your comment concerning Houston.......what's the basis for your comments?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:09 am

BruceWayne wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Any advice you receive is going to be worthless without knowing which city you're in. Getting a job as an entry level DA in Houston can be done from the middle of your class at Baylor. T14 students regularly compete for positions in NYC and DC, when they're hiring at all.

DC doesn't have a DA's office and I really wonder about your comment concerning Houston.......what's the basis for your comments?

http://www.justice.gov/usao/dc/
We enforce the criminal laws of the United States and the District of Columbia and, thus, serve as both the federal prosecutor and the local District Attorney here in Washington, D.C.

Houston comes from anecdotal experience of more than a few friends going through the process in the last few years.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:10 am

It's a little odd to refer to the DC USAO as a "DA's office" despite their performing those duties, but semantics aside, I think you two are really on the same page.

Also, people are correct in saying it varies by market. However, being at a local school and having experience in a DA's office are the two things you can do best to increase your chances, so, you're doing everything you can it sounds like.

conn09

Postby conn09 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:25 am

vanwinkle wrote:It's a little odd to refer to the DC USAO as a "DA's office" despite their performing those duties, but semantics aside, I think you two are really on the same page.

Also, people are correct in saying it varies by market. However, being at a local school and having experience in a DA's office are the two things you can do best to increase your chances, so, you're doing everything you can it sounds like.

The DA and USAO offices are split. There is literally a DA's office in DC independent of the USAO. Its called the office of the Attorney General, but they're DA's. I interned there a few years back.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:26 am

The DA in my city has stated that as long as they have funding they will hire anyone working for them for BOTH 1L and 2L summers.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:37 am

conn09 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:It's a little odd to refer to the DC USAO as a "DA's office" despite their performing those duties, but semantics aside, I think you two are really on the same page.

The DA and USAO offices are split. There is literally a DA's office in DC independent of the USAO. Its called the office of the Attorney General, but they're DA's. I interned there a few years back.

This is only sort of correct. All major crimes committed by adults are handled by the USAO, much like a DA in other major cities.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:13 am

To address PMs: Most of my friends who were taken on by Houston, or who have a seriously good shot at landing it in the near future, are from Houston natively. Please do not read this as the Harris County's office requiring you be from Houston to get a job there.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:00 pm

patrickd139 wrote:To address PMs: Most of my friends who were taken on by Houston, or who have a seriously good shot at landing it in the near future, are from Houston natively. Please do not read this as the Harris County's office requiring you be from Houston to get a job there.

Do I understad your posts correctly that you know someone from the middle of the class at Baylor who was hired as an assistant district attorney in Harris County in the last few years?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:06 pm

ggocat: about to graduate. Not sure about the connections other than the fact that they've volunteered both summers.

ETA: middle third at Baylor

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:33 pm

patrickd139 wrote:To address PMs: Most of my friends who were taken on by Houston, or who have a seriously good shot at landing it in the near future, are from Houston natively. Please do not read this as the Harris County's office requiring you be from Houston to get a job there.

I really wonder though. Texas legal employers seems to be OBSESSED with only hiring people from Texas. A bit too obsessed in my opinion....

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:41 pm

Maybe they just don't like foreigners. :D

pjo

Postby pjo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:44 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:The DA in my city has stated that as long as they have funding they will hire anyone working for them for BOTH 1L and 2L summers.

Wait, does that mean if you don't intern with them at all or only one summer then you have no shot at an entry level ADA position? Or, just that if you intern with them both summers and they have the money then you're a shoo-in?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:49 pm

pjo wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:The DA in my city has stated that as long as they have funding they will hire anyone working for them for BOTH 1L and 2L summers.

Wait, does that mean if you don't intern with them at all or only one summer then you have no shot at an entry level ADA position? Or, just that if you intern with them both summers and they have the money then you're a shoo-in?

Even if it doesn't necessarily mean the latter, what are the chances ITE that they'll have money left for people with only some experience or no experience after they take care of the people who gave them both summers?

Return to “Legal Employment”