Fall Externships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fall Externships

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:16 pm

What is the consensus? If you can get a federal judicial externship during the fall of 2L year, should you... or say USAO, etc. They are less competitive during the fall for NY schools.

Obviously the answer is yes (although OCI will have already occured, but if you fail at OCI it helps?). But what if you are on a journal? What about journal and moot court?

You get credits for all of these, but just wondering how much is too much? and how it will effect how many classes you need to sign up for.

**Edit. Username: Phonepro. Annon by mistake**
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zomginternets

Re: Fall Externships

Postby zomginternets » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:27 pm

Preface: 1L response.

I think between OCI, a full load of courses, and an honors program (moot court, law review), your grades might suffer if you also take on an externship during the fall as well. I've heard that OCI alone can really get you far behind on course work if you get a lot of call backs. And resume-wise, I don't think an externship with a federal district court will make up for poor grades.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:24 pm

zomginternets wrote:Preface: 1L response.

I think between OCI, a full load of courses, and an honors program (moot court, law review), your grades might suffer if you also take on an externship during the fall as well. I've heard that OCI alone can really get you far behind on course work if you get a lot of call backs. And resume-wise, I don't think an externship with a federal district court will make up for poor grades.

Yea. I think that's right. But I guess my main question was that you can get credit for an externship (at least at my school). So would this replace a class.

dusk2k2

Postby dusk2k2 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:43 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread, but what about doing internships during Fall of 2L NOT for class credit? Is it too much to try to do that and have a full class schedule, journal, and OCI?

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:58 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread, but what about doing internships during Fall of 2L NOT for class credit? Is it too much to try to do that and have a full class schedule, journal, and OCI?

Even though this is my original question, I'll answer yours. I think if you are not getting credit, and you are on a journal, you should NOT do a fall externship. Journal takes up about 20 hours a week, and your grades will definitely suffer.

Return to “Legal Employment”