Work Overload? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Work Overload?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Couple of questions. I have a position at a firm for the summer and have been encouraged to accept an RA position for the summer as well that would be for summer and the school year. On top of that, I have a TA position for the school year. So, I would have the firm and the RA spot for the summer, then the RA position and TA position for the school year. I will also probably grade-on to law review (or will write-on if I don't), and it's a time-suck. All of the positions are paid (except for law review obviously). Is this too much work to take on for a summer and then during the school year too?

Kochel

Bronze

Re: Work Overload?

Post by Kochel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Not attempting to answer the overwork question (at least not directly), but has your summer firm approved your RA work? For obvious reasons, law firms should know about other employment by their summer associates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Kochel wrote:Not attempting to answer the overwork question (at least not directly), but has your summer firm approved your RA work? For obvious reasons, law firms should know about other employment by their summer associates.
Yeah. Small firm that's flexible. They couldn't care less.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:12 pm

Is this 15-20 hours/week RA work, or just ~5? I think you are overdoing it if it's the former, but the latter is manageable. Law Review is a lot of work, and combined with RA, TA, and classes, you'll be killing yourself (plus OCI interviewing if you're looking for biglaw).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Sup Kid wrote:Is this 15-20 hours/week RA work, or just ~5? I think you are overdoing it if it's the former, but the latter is manageable. Law Review is a lot of work, and combined with RA, TA, and classes, you'll be killing yourself (plus OCI interviewing if you're looking for biglaw).
Not entirely sure how many hours it would be. Probably 10 or so. And yeah, I will be doing OCI. Forgot about that :|

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”