Passing the Bar

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fundamentallybroken

Re: Passing the Bar

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:46 am

One of two things is happening here:

1. You're trolling. Successfully. If this is true, you have my respect and admiration.

or

2. You're a personal sovereignty nutjob, looking to fill up the District Courts with frivolous lawsuits against any number of public officials, and being admitted means you can help all the other crazies do the same. I deal with these people in my professional life, and there is nothing more infuriating than someone trying to invoke the magna carta as a defense in an administrative proceeding. If this true, I hope you go away.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:57 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:One of two things is happening here:

1. You're trolling. Successfully. If this is true, you have my respect and admiration.

or

2. You're a personal sovereignty nutjob, looking to fill up the District Courts with frivolous lawsuits against any number of public officials, and being admitted means you can help all the other crazies do the same. I deal with these people in my professional life, and there is nothing more infuriating than someone trying to invoke the magna carta as a defense in an administrative proceeding. If this true, I hope you go away.

You're a fucking idiot.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:58 am

TheTopBloke wrote:I have an excellent resume. Self employed for over ten years. World traveller (on business). I suppose I'm living proof that only a GPA matters. My LSAT score wasn't great but it was good enough.

To be fair, you come off as confrontational and overly sensitive in your posts, and seem to have difficulty reconciling your own self-image with how you are perceived by others. I suspect that these personality characteristics played a much larger role in your admissions cycle than your unconventional background.

I'm not trying to bait you into a flame war; I just honestly think you need to take a hard look at how you present yourself to the legal community. I've met "jailhouse lawyers" who went on to become very successful paralegals or even licensed attorneys: their success came from learning how to work within the system, rather than railing against it.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:00 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:I have an excellent resume. Self employed for over ten years. World traveller (on business). I suppose I'm living proof that only a GPA matters. My LSAT score wasn't great but it was good enough.

To be fair, you come off as confrontational and overly sensitive in your posts, and seem to have difficulty reconciling your own self-image with how you are perceived by others. I suspect that these personality characteristics played a much larger role in your admissions cycle than your unconventional background.

I'm not trying to bait you into a flame war; I just honestly think you need to take a hard look at how you present yourself to the legal community. I've met "jailhouse lawyers" who went on to become very successful paralegals or even licensed attorneys: their success came from learning how to work within the system, rather than railing against it.

Because I called the guy a fucking idiot? He is a fucking idiot.

Honestly, I don't understand the reasoning in your comment. Where is this coming from?

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:02 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:

or

You're a fucking idiot.

Says the guy with no college degree, no chance of getting into law school, investigating paying for a diploma mill California "law" school, or just kicking the dirt and saying "law school is useless anyway." Or is it just because I called you out for what your game is?

Go file some more pro se motions for the courts to recognize you as a free person, not subject to the taxation of foreign (Federal) governments. Also, you'll probably need to change the spelling of your username to TheTop: bLoKe, just to be sure. That way you can claim you weren't properly served in your tax evasion case.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:03 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:

or

You're a fucking idiot.

Says the guy with no college degree, no chance of getting into law school, investigating paying for a diploma mill California "law" school, or just kicking the dirt and saying "law school is useless anyway." Or is it just because I called you out for what your game is?

Go file some more pro se motions for the courts to recognize you as a free person, not subject to the taxation of foreign (Federal) governments. Also, you'll probably need to change the spelling of your username to TheTop: bLoKe, just to be sure. That way you can claim you weren't properly served in your tax evasion case.

Wow, you're seriously fucked in the head.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:05 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:Wow, you're seriously fucked in the head.

You don't know the half of it.

Of course, my condition doesn't negate the fact that you're a nutjob, now does it?

Unless, of course, one of is just an alt for the other, and we're only arguing with myself while me... you... I... we... shit, now I've confused us.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:08 pm

Of course, my condition doesn't negate the fact that you're a nutjob, now does it?

Unless, of course, one of is just an alt for the other, and we're only arguing with myself while me... you... I... we... shit, now I've confused us.

Your wasting my dinero. Go away idiot.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:10 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:

Your wasting my dinero. Go away idiot.

Okay. I totally understand how you'd want to not waste time here, what with being so busy not getting into law school and all.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:14 pm

I'm not so sure the OP is either a troll or a nutjob. After 25 years in the profession, I also am appalled by the rigidity of the legal mind. There's a reason one cartoon lawyer is called "Mr. Pettifogger".

It also doesn't surprise me that a middle aged businessman, having sampled the legal process as a pro se, might be interested in learning more.

To the OP: If you are serious about being a solo, you should know that, unlike big law firms or the federal government, the general public neither knows nor cares about how you obtained your law license. The public wants to know that you are a lawyer and that you have a reputation for honesty and competence. No one gets admiring glances from starlets at cocktail parties by saying, "My divorce lawyer was twelfth in his class at Pepperdine." Saying "I have a damned good divorce lawyer, expensive but worth every dime," OTOH, attracts a great deal of attention. Try it yourself some time and you'll see.

Given what you've told us, I'd target California for your solo practice and I'd get my J.D. from one of the two or three correspondence or distance schools whose graduates actually occasionally pass the California Bar. You can get in with 60 semester hours of college or by taking CLEP tests. You will end up investing something like $30,000 total for tuition and fees and Bar expenses, perhaps a bit more, perhaps less. You will also log 864 hours of study time for each year of a four year program, take and pass the First Year Law Student's Examination and General Bar exam, and pass the character and fitness investigation before you receive your license. But once you ARE licensed, you will be just as much a California lawyer as any other and for your practice, that's good enough. You will also be very competitive in your market because you won't be servicing $150,000 in student loans.

If you are serious, you can make this work and you won't be the first one to do so.

Good luck!

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:39 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:

Honestly, I don't understand the reasoning in your comment. Where is this coming from?

I'm not drawing this conclusion from just one post, but from glancing over your entire post history. More often than not, the threads you are involved in devolve into irrational arguments in which you alienate yourself from the rest of the community because you feel persecuted.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:41 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:
Anonymous Loser wrote:

I'm not drawing this conclusion from just one post, but from glancing over your entire post history. More often than not, the threads you are involved in devolve into irrational arguments in which you alienate yourself from the rest of the community because you feel persecuted.

Different is bad, BAD! But seriously, I appreciate your opinion. I'm certainly alienated, but not feeling persecuted. A bit frustrated and disappointed by the system, yes indeed.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:15 pm

TheTopBloke wrote:Different is bad, BAD! But seriously, I appreciate your opinion. I'm certainly alienated, but not feeling persecuted. A bit frustrated and disappointed by the system, yes indeed.

I don't understand what's frustrating you about the system. Is it that, by and large, an undergraduate degree is a prerequisite for law school admissions, and you feel somehow screwed because you couldn't successfully circumvent the norm?

(I'm genuinely asking- not being sarcastic.)

Return to “Legal Employment”