Passing the Bar

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TheTopBloke

Passing the Bar

Postby TheTopBloke » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 am

What would be the easiest state to pass the bar in?

Is there any state in which you can take the bar exam without going to law school?

Anonymous User

Re: Passing the Bar

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:51 am

TheTopBloke wrote:What would be the easiest state to pass the bar in?

Is there any state in which you can take the bar exam without going to law school?

Mass is supposedly known as Passachusetts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:02 am

Supposedly Kentucky has the shortest test. It's like an eight hour, one day, test. In California you can take the bar and practice law without a law degree. However, I think you need a certain amount of hours working under an attorney before you can be licensed.

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:12 am

No CLE or MPRE requirements in Maryland (and I've heard the test is easier than nearby Virginia, for whatever that's worth).

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Supposedly Kentucky has the shortest test. It's like an eight hour, one day, test. In California you can take the bar and practice law without a law degree. However, I think you need a certain amount of hours working under an attorney before you can be licensed.

Yes, I'm looking into this now. It takes four years. But it's probably the best course of action for me.

I'm looking to shorten that time frame if at all possible. I've already practice pro se in the US District Court, so I couldn't give a shit which state I pass in, just as long as it ultimately, and expeditiously leads to the US District Court.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:14 am

TheTopBloke wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Supposedly Kentucky has the shortest test. It's like an eight hour, one day, test. In California you can take the bar and practice law without a law degree. However, I think you need a certain amount of hours working under an attorney before you can be licensed.

Yes, I'm looking into this now. It takes four years. But it's probably the best course of action for me.

I'm looking to shorten that time frame if at all possible. I've already practice pro se in the US District Court, so I couldn't give a shit which state I pass in, just as long as it ultimately, and expeditiously leads to the US District Court.

CA also has good mental health care, btw.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:17 am

Is that really important to you? Mental health care?

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:41 am

N.Mex. and Montana used to have the highest Bar pass rates in the Union. I don't think we're QUITE that easy any more, though.

The cheapest way to qualify for any State Bar in terms of total cash laid out and income foregone would be to do a California correspondence course. "Qualify" however does not equate to "pass". People do succeed, a small handful every year, but it requires a lot more effort than going to a conventional law school and the odds are seriously against you completing the course, let alone passing the notorious California Bar exam.

Not all U.S. District Courts will admit attorneys "admitted in any state". N.Mex. and Ariz. for instance require that you be licensed in those states.

NZA

Postby NZA » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:In California you can take the bar and practice law without a law degree. However, I think you need a certain amount of hours working under an attorney before you can be licensed.

You can do the same thing in WA.

Also, I think if you go to an unaccredited law school in CA, you can sit for the bar?

Isn't the NJ exam supposed to be pretty easy?

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:01 pm

NZA wrote:Also, I think if you go to an unaccredited law school in CA, you can sit for the bar?

I think you're right. But I believe you also have to pass a "baby bar" at the end of your first year at an unaccredited law school, and you possibly only get one shot at it.

I seem to remember looking on the CA bar website, and seeing some statistics about how only half the people on average taking the "baby bar" successfully passed. Could be wrong about the percentage, but I recall it being pretty high.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:05 pm

Do you have a job lined up or something? or are you planning to solo practice? Even if you do pass the bar, I'm not sure how many firms/clients are going to be down with hiring you/giving you a case given the fact that you didn't go to law school.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:

CA also has good mental health care, btw.

180!

cmraider

Postby cmraider » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:17 pm

I'm pretty sure that if you graduate from U. Wisconsin or Marquette, you are automatically admitted to the WI bar and do not have to sit for the exam.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:44 pm

cmraider wrote:I'm pretty sure that if you graduate from U. Wisconsin or Marquette, you are automatically admitted to the WI bar and do not have to sit for the exam.

Yup. Why anyone would want to live in Illinois state park (i.e. Wisconsin) is another question though.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:12 pm

zomginternets wrote:Do you have a job lined up or something? or are you planning to solo practice? Even if you do pass the bar, I'm not sure how many firms/clients are going to be down with hiring you/giving you a case given the fact that you didn't go to law school.

Don't listen to this kind of negativism, OP. You can work for Cravath if you don't go to law school. If you can dream it, you can do it!
Last edited by Wholigan on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:38 pm

Lol I love this guy

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:22 am

BeautifulSW wrote:N.Mex. and Montana used to have the highest Bar pass rates in the Union. I don't think we're QUITE that easy any more, though.

The cheapest way to qualify for any State Bar in terms of total cash laid out and income foregone would be to do a California correspondence course. "Qualify" however does not equate to "pass". People do succeed, a small handful every year, but it requires a lot more effort than going to a conventional law school and the odds are seriously against you completing the course, let alone passing the notorious California Bar exam.

Not all U.S. District Courts will admit attorneys "admitted in any state". N.Mex. and Ariz. for instance require that you be licensed in those states.

Please elaborate on 'California correspondence course'. Are you referring to a calbar program or some university program?

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:24 am

NZA wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In California you can take the bar and practice law without a law degree. However, I think you need a certain amount of hours working under an attorney before you can be licensed.

You can do the same thing in WA.

Also, I think if you go to an unaccredited law school in CA, you can sit for the bar?

Isn't the NJ exam supposed to be pretty easy?

I do know there are calbar accredited schools, that are not aba accredited, but if you attend those schools and pass the bar, you cannot practice at the us district level. they are not bad. I've heard some success stories coming out of these schools. the only things that turns me off of them is that you have to practice 5 years in cali court before you can work us district court.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:25 am

UCLAtransfer wrote:
NZA wrote:Also, I think if you go to an unaccredited law school in CA, you can sit for the bar?

I think you're right. But I believe you also have to pass a "baby bar" at the end of your first year at an unaccredited law school, and you possibly only get one shot at it.

I seem to remember looking on the CA bar website, and seeing some statistics about how only half the people on average taking the "baby bar" successfully passed. Could be wrong about the percentage, but I recall it being pretty high.

As I understand it, if the school is calbar accredited, and not aba accredited, you do not have to take the baby bar.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:29 am

zomginternets wrote:Do you have a job lined up or something? or are you planning to solo practice? Even if you do pass the bar, I'm not sure how many firms/clients are going to be down with hiring you/giving you a case given the fact that you didn't go to law school.

I plan on solo practice. There's always going to be someone who won't hire you for some reason or another. I'm not worried about that at all. Just need to pass the bar. That's it. So whether I go to law school or not doesn't really matter. Besides, some people might find it even more impressive, that someone passed the bar, is practicing law, and didn't even attend law school. That's bad ass. That's not negative at all.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:33 am

Wholigan wrote:

Don't listen to this kind of negativism, OP. You can work for Cravath if you don't go to law school. If you can dream it, you can do it!

Sounds good to me.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:34 am

Patriot1208 wrote:Lol I love this guy

Dig your style too man.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:35 am

Thanks for all the posts on this topic, very much appreciated, and certainly more than I had expected.

Anonymous Loser

Postby Anonymous Loser » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:37 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
TheTopBloke wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've already practice pro se in the US District Court, so I couldn't give a shit which state I pass in, just as long as it ultimately, and expeditiously leads to the US District Court.

This is not an encouraging sign . . . What was the occasion for proceeding pro se?

I am very curious about this as well. Apparently, law schools were unimpressed with the OP's prior experience.

TheTopBloke wrote:FWIW, I submitted my app discussing my legal adventures. Rejected by every school I applied to.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:43 am

I do not have a college degree, but there are ABA and CALBAR bylaws around this. Apparently, my success in the US District court was not enough to ensure I would complete something. Ugh. The stupidity and rigidity of thought processes in some lawyers is baffling. And that does not define me either. I have an excellent resume. Self employed for over ten years. World traveller (on business). I suppose I'm living proof that only a GPA matters. My LSAT score wasn't great but it was good enough.

Return to “Legal Employment”