contacting employers after app/no response

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anonymcoffee

contacting employers after app/no response

Postby anonymcoffee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:27 pm

I just have a quick question about contacting employers. I have sent out several job applications and have not heard anything back. Is it customary to email back the employers and inquire if the position is still available or if they received the application? this is for PI jobs, government jobs, non-profit etc. (not firms). I'm getting desperate over here b/c I have sent out so many cover letters and for some jobs I spent so much time researching and having a customized letter...but have heard nothing. Do employers not bother, does it look good to check on the application or is it merely annoying? Let me know...I haven't heard in about a week for the most recent applications and don't know what to do.

zomginternets

Re: contacting employers after app/no response

Postby zomginternets » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:55 pm

IMO, you should wait 1 month before inquiring, unless you have an exploding offer from one place and need to know about job prospects of another place (assuming of course you would actually take that other job if offered).

Inquiring about offer/interview prospects after 1 week is annoying. I guess the best you could do is email/call them and ask them if they received your application because you're email has been recently malfunctioning/you don't trust the post office.

anonymcoffee

Postby anonymcoffee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:10 pm

oh wow a month all right...anyone else have any other advice? I just remember when I was applying to jobs in undergrad I checked back in immediately...does not checking in/contacting them seem like I don't care about the job? that's what I'm worried about that I don't seem passionate enough about the job to check in with them

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:26 pm

2 weeks

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:08 pm

Well, I suppose I'm basing my 1 month number off the assumption that they gather applications up until about March 1 (ish), then spend 2 weeks sifting through and deciding who to interview.

I presume that the applications you sent out last week will probably go through a quicker review process since I'm sure most places want to get their summers locked in by early April at the latest, in which case if you don't hear back in 2 weeks then you're probably not in the running.

I don't think not checking in makes it appear like you aren't interested in the job. Your application itself shows your interest, especially since you wrote targeted cover letters. I think the best way to go for you, if you really want to call them, is play the "just checking to make sure you got my application" card after 2 weeks--at which time they'll probably have already made their decision on whether to interview you or not--and they'll either say "yeah but our summer spots are already filled"; "yeah, but we're still processing" (which I would interpret as a rejection at this point); or "yeah, and we were about to call you for an interview".

Bottom line I think, though, is that if they got your app and are interested in you, they'll contact you--I don't think a phone call to them will suddenly make them interested in you if they weren't already.

Return to “Legal Employment”