Slightly below median at T20, rank/summer court match up.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Is this position:

Highly above my summer employment potential
16%
Somewhat above my summer employment potential
24%
Am right on target for my summer employment potential
40%
Somewhat below my target for summer employment potential
12%
Highly below my target for summer employment potential
8%

Total votes: 25

Total Litigator

Slightly below median at T20, rank/summer court match up.

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:29 pm

Edited
Last edited by Total Litigator on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

YourCaptain

Re: Slightly below median at T20, rank/summer court match up.

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Just take it; I'd prefer you take it now than see the "1L, T20, below median, NO JOB I HATE ITE" thread that will come in 4 weeks if you don't.

It's late in the game and very difficult to be picky here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks for the response, that really is probably the best answer... although I'm still curious as to what people think a T20 slightly below median should be able to get, and if a state trial court is "below" them. I made the mistake of not applying to any state court of appeals judges. Would those be above me right now? I'm trying not to sound pompus here, but probably failing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:43 pm

Just saw the poll results, thanks guys. Actually a bit surprised at the poll results, but hey, if it will help my self-esteem I'll trust them!

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:46 pm

It's late March; an offer from a judge is quite alright, especially considering your grades.

You'll get good experience, maybe make a connection or two. You are not 'above' this; do not get illusions of grandeur. The person who offered you a position went through law school too.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:47 pm

yo, ur poll is weird. either way even if it doesnt "match up", what else r u gonna do....kinda moot now, dont ya think? did u send out apps to fed judge in december?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:45 pm

Yeah it is moot for the most part. However, there is the basic unwritten rule that once you except a judicial externship you shouldn't later decline it. As I stated earlier I have some other leads I am waiting to hear back on, some of which are applications fed district court.

However, seeing how it is late in the game and that I probably won't be hearing back from any judge/firm/agency that hasn't gotten back to me already, I'll most likely accept the trial court externship and be happy with what I have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:08 pm

OP here. I was recently accepted for a Fed district court externship. So go figure. However, I like to think I have other redeeming characteristics besides my class rank and school, and apparently those do help sometimes! (and yes the poll is now officially moot)

Return to “Legal Employment”