Skipping legal work to take MBA classes during 1L summer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
damage-inc

Bronze

Skipping legal work to take MBA classes during 1L summer

Post by damage-inc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:16 pm

I understand that this topic can lead to some serious blasting, but I would appreciate some serious comments about the idea of skipping 1L summer work to take MBA classes as part of 3 year JD/MBA program.

Is this a complete recipe for disaster? or is this reasonable justification for doing this? Do employers favor the MBA degree in conjunction with a JD more or equally as 1L summer work?

FWIW, I'm specifically looking at Cornell's 3 year program. This isn't a must or a passion, just some consideration before I decide against it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

bdubs

Gold

Re: Skipping legal work to take MBA classes during 1L summer

Post by bdubs » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Doesn't seem to hurt Northwestern JD/MBAs, but I have no clue about Cornell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:19 pm

bdubs wrote:Doesn't seem to hurt Northwestern JD/MBAs, but I have no clue about Cornell.
Understandable at Northwestern. Kellogg is a powerhouse

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:20 pm

damage-inc wrote:I understand that this topic can lead to some serious blasting, but I would appreciate some serious comments about the idea of skipping 1L summer work to take MBA classes as part of 3 year JD/MBA program.

Is this a complete recipe for disaster? or is this reasonable justification for doing this? Do employers favor the MBA degree in conjunction with a JD more or equally as 1L summer work?

FWIW, I'm specifically looking at Cornell's 3 year program. This isn't a must or a passion, just some consideration before I decide against it.

Every time I went into an interview this year (2L), the interviewer had my legal work experience highlighted on my resume.

Take from that what you will.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:Doesn't seem to hurt Northwestern JD/MBAs, but I have no clue about Cornell.
great post, thanks for the insight

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

glewz

Silver

Post by glewz » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:38 pm

fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
There are like...30 NW JD/MBAs per year - super difficult to get into that program.

damage-inc

Bronze

Post by damage-inc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:41 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
damage-inc wrote:I understand that this topic can lead to some serious blasting, but I would appreciate some serious comments about the idea of skipping 1L summer work to take MBA classes as part of 3 year JD/MBA program.

Every time I went into an interview this year (2L), the interviewer had my legal work experience highlighted on my resume.

Take from that what you will.
Thats understandable but do you feel as if there may be 1L legal work that would not impress an employer as much as a JD/MBA program would?

fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

ok..? sorry for acknowledging a poster's response and bringing the question back into focus rather than trying to compare two different schools on two different levels

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:02 pm

A friend of mine did this at Cornell and he did spectacularly at OCI. I don't know if the MBA helped but it certainly didn't hurt his chances any.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:02 am

I think the key here is the 3 year MBA program. My friends doing a JD-MBA here at Duke didn't do so hot at OCI this year, but it was because firms think about students in terms of how many years they have left, not how many they have completed. And our program is a 4 year program. So even though my friends were all 2Ls, the firms group them in with their graduating class and see them as 1Ls. They don't want to have to anticipate their hiring needs ANOTHER year out. So long as your program lets you graduate on the same timetable, I don't think firms will care that you were in class instead of working.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”