Skipping legal work to take MBA classes during 1L summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
damage-inc
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:39 am

Skipping legal work to take MBA classes during 1L summer

Postby damage-inc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:16 pm

I understand that this topic can lead to some serious blasting, but I would appreciate some serious comments about the idea of skipping 1L summer work to take MBA classes as part of 3 year JD/MBA program.

Is this a complete recipe for disaster? or is this reasonable justification for doing this? Do employers favor the MBA degree in conjunction with a JD more or equally as 1L summer work?

FWIW, I'm specifically looking at Cornell's 3 year program. This isn't a must or a passion, just some consideration before I decide against it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Skipping legal work to take MBA classes during 1L summer

Postby bdubs » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:17 pm

Doesn't seem to hurt Northwestern JD/MBAs, but I have no clue about Cornell.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skipping legal work to take MBA classes during 1L summer

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:19 pm

bdubs wrote:Doesn't seem to hurt Northwestern JD/MBAs, but I have no clue about Cornell.


Understandable at Northwestern. Kellogg is a powerhouse

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Skipping legal work to take MBA classes during 1L summer

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:20 pm

damage-inc wrote:I understand that this topic can lead to some serious blasting, but I would appreciate some serious comments about the idea of skipping 1L summer work to take MBA classes as part of 3 year JD/MBA program.

Is this a complete recipe for disaster? or is this reasonable justification for doing this? Do employers favor the MBA degree in conjunction with a JD more or equally as 1L summer work?

FWIW, I'm specifically looking at Cornell's 3 year program. This isn't a must or a passion, just some consideration before I decide against it.

Thanks in advance for the help.


Every time I went into an interview this year (2L), the interviewer had my legal work experience highlighted on my resume.

Take from that what you will.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Skipping legal work to take MBA classes during 1L summer

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:Doesn't seem to hurt Northwestern JD/MBAs, but I have no clue about Cornell.


Understandable at Northwestern. Kellogg is a powerhouse

great post, thanks for the insight

User avatar
glewz
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Skipping legal work to take MBA classes during 1L summer

Postby glewz » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:38 pm

fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:Doesn't seem to hurt Northwestern JD/MBAs, but I have no clue about Cornell.


Understandable at Northwestern. Kellogg is a powerhouse

great post, thanks for the insight


There are like...30 NW JD/MBAs per year - super difficult to get into that program.

damage-inc
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:39 am

Re: Skipping legal work to take MBA classes during 1L summer

Postby damage-inc » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:41 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
damage-inc wrote:I understand that this topic can lead to some serious blasting, but I would appreciate some serious comments about the idea of skipping 1L summer work to take MBA classes as part of 3 year JD/MBA program.

Is this a complete recipe for disaster? or is this reasonable justification for doing this? Do employers favor the MBA degree in conjunction with a JD more or equally as 1L summer work?

FWIW, I'm specifically looking at Cornell's 3 year program. This isn't a must or a passion, just some consideration before I decide against it.

Thanks in advance for the help.


Every time I went into an interview this year (2L), the interviewer had my legal work experience highlighted on my resume.

Take from that what you will.


Thats understandable but do you feel as if there may be 1L legal work that would not impress an employer as much as a JD/MBA program would?


fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:Doesn't seem to hurt Northwestern JD/MBAs, but I have no clue about Cornell.


Understandable at Northwestern. Kellogg is a powerhouse

great post, thanks for the insight



ok..? sorry for acknowledging a poster's response and bringing the question back into focus rather than trying to compare two different schools on two different levels

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Skipping legal work to take MBA classes during 1L summer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:02 pm

damage-inc wrote:I understand that this topic can lead to some serious blasting, but I would appreciate some serious comments about the idea of skipping 1L summer work to take MBA classes as part of 3 year JD/MBA program.

Is this a complete recipe for disaster? or is this reasonable justification for doing this? Do employers favor the MBA degree in conjunction with a JD more or equally as 1L summer work?

FWIW, I'm specifically looking at Cornell's 3 year program. This isn't a must or a passion, just some consideration before I decide against it.

Thanks in advance for the help.


A friend of mine did this at Cornell and he did spectacularly at OCI. I don't know if the MBA helped but it certainly didn't hurt his chances any.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Skipping legal work to take MBA classes during 1L summer

Postby Bosque » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:02 am

I think the key here is the 3 year MBA program. My friends doing a JD-MBA here at Duke didn't do so hot at OCI this year, but it was because firms think about students in terms of how many years they have left, not how many they have completed. And our program is a 4 year program. So even though my friends were all 2Ls, the firms group them in with their graduating class and see them as 1Ls. They don't want to have to anticipate their hiring needs ANOTHER year out. So long as your program lets you graduate on the same timetable, I don't think firms will care that you were in class instead of working.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.