Question about getting BigLaw in New Jersey Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Question about getting BigLaw in New Jersey

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Top 20, top 10%. I've grown up in NJ and have a great government 1L summer internship in NJ. I'm looking to get into BigLaw in NJ. The firms in NJ are (that are on NALP):

Latham Watkins
K&L Gates
Proskauer
Patton Boggs
Jackson Lewis
Dechert
Morgan, Lewis, & Bockius
Wolff Samson
Sills Cummis & Gross
Riker, Danzig, Sherer, Hyland, Perretti (Morristown main office, no 1 firm in NJ)
Day Pitney
Gibbons
Porzio, Bromberg & Newman
McCarter & English
Kelley Drye

I plan on using bids to get into NYC since that is the easiest market, but I really want to be in NJ. Any advice on how to make this happen?

RVP11

Gold

Re: Question about getting BigLaw in New Jersey

Post by RVP11 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 20, top 10%. I've grown up in NJ and have a great government 1L summer internship in NJ. I'm looking to get into BigLaw in NJ. The firms in NJ are (that are on NALP):

Latham Watkins
K&L Gates
Proskauer
Patton Boggs
Jackson Lewis
Dechert
Morgan, Lewis, & Bockius
Wolff Samson
Sills Cummis & Gross
Riker, Danzig, Sherer, Hyland, Perretti (Morristown main office, no 1 firm in NJ)
Day Pitney
Gibbons
McCarter & English
Kelley Drye

I plan on using bids to get into NYC since that is the easiest market, but I really want to be in NJ. Any advice on how to make this happen?
Apply to them.

Sup Kid

Silver

Post by Sup Kid » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:18 pm

RVP11 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 20, top 10%. I've grown up in NJ and have a great government 1L summer internship in NJ. I'm looking to get into BigLaw in NJ. The firms in NJ are (that are on NALP):

Latham Watkins
K&L Gates
Proskauer
Patton Boggs
Jackson Lewis
Dechert
Morgan, Lewis, & Bockius
Wolff Samson
Sills Cummis & Gross
Day Pitney
Gibbons
McCarter & English
Kelley Drye

Apply to them.
+1. Send in your resume early if they don't do your OCI, and with your creds (assuming they stay high for your second semester) you should get an interview at most of them. Also don't forget Lowenstein Sandler up in Roseland -- they pay 145k starting, whereas some of those others, like Riker, start at 115k.

Wholigan

Silver

Post by Wholigan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Latham Watkins
K&L Gates
Proskauer
Patton Boggs
Jackson Lewis
Dechert
Morgan, Lewis, & Bockius
Wolff Samson
Sills Cummis & Gross
Day Pitney
Gibbons
McCarter & English
Kelley Drye

Do your homework on these. Like for example, Morgan Lewis is a huge Philly firm with a small NJ office. They didn't take any SAs at their NJ office last year. Same goes for K&L Gates, Dechert, Jackson Lewis. Doesn't mean you shouldn't apply, but realize the NJ offices take 0 or maybe 1 SA. Don't forget about Cole Schotz either.

Edit: Wilentz Goldman & Spitzer, and connell foley are also missing. Make sure you check another source or refine your search also to be sure you aren't missing any firms you want to apply to. Some of the largest NJ-based firms that take SAs are missing from your list.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:51 pm

Also, no Lowenstein Sandler or Cole Schotz? OP, your list is WAY off and not credited.

OP, most of the firms on your list either don't hire SA's because they are small offices or have very specialized practices (like Proskauer's Newark office which only does employment law and Patton Boggs' Newark office which only does environmental law).

Also, wherever you got your info about Riker Danzig is way off (maybe it's the biggest in Morristown, but not in NJ). McCarter English is the biggest in terms of size and Lowenstein is the most prestigious (and also pays the most).

treeey86

Bronze

Post by treeey86 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:36 pm

tag

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”