BG check makes LS an unacceptable risk? Who to talk to??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How to clear up employment BG check issues BEFORE taking out loans?

What the career services office tells prospective students is accurate. Trust them!
No votes
Call up hiring partners at firms. At least a few would answer the question.
50%
Forget law school, buddy. Move on.
50%
An employment consulting agency (details please)
No votes
Other (details please)
No votes

Total votes: 4

Anonymous User

BG check makes LS an unacceptable risk? Who to talk to??

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:52 am

So, $120,000 is a lot to borrow, even for a top 10 law school. Deposit deadlines are in less than 1 month.

Unfortunately, I have some stuff in my past that may get me into trouble when I'm trying to get a Big Law job, given their background checks and all [See here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=145838]. I really need to talk to someone (not a 0L or 2L on TLS) who knows exactly what they are talking about to get some straight, detailed answers about how my past will or will not affect me before I put down all this money in loans. Any ideas?

I got dinged or WLed at every school that asked about military service, except one (Vanderbilt) where I was above both 75th percentiles. If the schools took it so seriously, what will employers think? Maybe a lot. Maybe not much. I DON'T KNOW!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

gabbagabba

Re: Need detailed advice from expert BEFORE $$$$ loans

Postby gabbagabba » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:52 pm

Consider this a slight bump for your post

Since nearly all military personnel are discharged honorably, the fact you got discharged dishonorably is gonna hang on you for a VERY long time.

Will it preclude you from being admitted to the Bar? No, not in any State

Will employers toss your resume aside when they find out? Very likely; even more so with BigLaw

You better have a VERY stellar resume to get past it

Anonymous User

Re: Need detailed advice from expert BEFORE $$$$ loans

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:47 am

gabbagabba wrote:Consider this a slight bump for your post

Since nearly all military personnel are discharged honorably, the fact you got discharged dishonorably is gonna hang on you for a VERY long time.

Will it preclude you from being admitted to the Bar? No, not in any State

Will employers toss your resume aside when they find out? Very likely; even more so with BigLaw

You better have a VERY stellar resume to get past it

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I got a General, not a Dishonorable, Discharge, but I still think it's a bigger deal than the career service's offices I have contacted seem to think. A General Discharge is NOT a criminal conviction; however, if employers request military records, they will definitely see what's going on.

Any other thoughts of who to talk to? $120,000 in loans for T14 sounds like an unacceptable risk if employers really are going to look at this stuff.

gabbagabba

Re: BG check makes LS an unacceptable risk? Who to talk to??

Postby gabbagabba » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:58 am

Though Biglaw may do a background check, not all employers will check - if you're willing to do something other than Biglaw, you should be ok

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:06 am

gabbagabba wrote:Though Biglaw may do a background check, not all employers will check - if you're willing to do something other than Biglaw, you should be ok

Will regional employers in a state like Texas be more or less likely to check than NLJ 250 firms in a place like New York?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:47 pm

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO TALK TO A LAWYER.

Return to “Legal Employment”