MidLaw questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AreJay711

Re: MidLaw questions

Postby AreJay711 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:55 pm

drylo wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
lawboy81 wrote:There' also the occassional Duke, UVA, and Harvard and Yale (possibly the only truly national schools). I don't think schools like Northestern, Cornell, and Univrsity of Michigan are very well known, even to partners, just b/c they're in something called the T14.

Duke is truly national and Michigan is not because partners in the deep south know Duke better than Michigan. Got it. Also, you didn't mention Stanford in your list so I'm assuming they're not familiar with it and it's not truly national either.

I understand that his post was sort of ambiguously worded, but lawboy was pretty clearly saying that Harvard and Yale were possibly the only truly national schools. You can debate the accuracy of that if you wish, but try to understand the post before picking a fight.

I don't agree with the underlined and it kinda goes against the bold.

drylo

Postby drylo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:18 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
drylo wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:
lawboy81 wrote:There' also the occassional Duke, UVA, and Harvard and Yale (possibly the only truly national schools). I don't think schools like Northestern, Cornell, and Univrsity of Michigan are very well known, even to partners, just b/c they're in something called the T14.

Duke is truly national and Michigan is not because partners in the deep south know Duke better than Michigan. Got it. Also, you didn't mention Stanford in your list so I'm assuming they're not familiar with it and it's not truly national either.

I understand that his post was sort of ambiguously worded, but lawboy was pretty clearly saying that Harvard and Yale were possibly the only truly national schools. You can debate the accuracy of that if you wish, but try to understand the post before picking a fight.

I don't agree with the underlined and it kinda goes against the bold.

Fair enough... But in my own defense, "sort of ambiguous" and "pretty clearly" both include qualifiers that make them more compatible than "ambiguous" and "clearly" normally are.

Also, if lawboy meant to describe all four schools as the national schools, he would have said "Duke, UVA, Harvard, and Yale." Instead, he said "Duke, UVA, and Harvard and Yale"--I think it is pretty clear that what he said was the equivalent of "Duke, UVA, and Harvard/Yale." And if you look at the context, he was talking about private schools in the South in the previous sentence. While UVA is not a private school, Duke and UVA clearly fit with that list, while Harvard and Yale do not. I don't think it is much of a stretch to read "Harvard and Yale" as a separate sub-list. Plus, you can always use common sense in addition to grammatical analysis.
Last edited by drylo on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawboy81

Postby lawboy81 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:23 pm

I agree that my sentence was ambiguously worded, but drylo´s interpretation was correct. What I meant is that Harvard and Yale (and maybe Stanford) are the only truly national schools. Michigan is probably in the same league as Duke and UVA, but of course in the deep South Duke and UVA are going to be better known and represented than Michigan.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drylo

Postby drylo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
drylo wrote:Also, if lawboy meant to describe all four schools as the national schools, he would have said "Duke, UVA, Harvard, and Yale." Instead, he said "Duke, UVA, and Harvard and Yale"--I don't think it is pretty clear that what he said was the equivalent of "Duke, UVA, and Harvard/Yale." And if you look at the context, he was talking about private schools in the South in the previous sentence. While UVA is not a private school, Duke and UVA clearly fit with that list, while Harvard and Yale do not. I don't think it is much of a stretch to read "Harvard and Yale" as a separate sub-list. Plus, you can always use common sense in addition to grammatical analysis.

Stanford isn't national. Got it.

Edit: Per the above, it's borderline.

I know you are just being an agitator, but to be honest, in the context of this current discussion, I don't think any of these schools are "national." I was initially just trying to clarify what lawboy was saying so as to avoid further feeding the troll, but when it comes down to it, I don't think a Stanford (or Yale/Harvard) degree is going to get you a job in one of the cities discussed above unless you are from there or something.

lawboy81

Postby lawboy81 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:
drylo wrote:Also, if lawboy meant to describe all four schools as the national schools, he would have said "Duke, UVA, Harvard, and Yale." Instead, he said "Duke, UVA, and Harvard and Yale"--I don't think it is pretty clear that what he said was the equivalent of "Duke, UVA, and Harvard/Yale." And if you look at the context, he was talking about private schools in the South in the previous sentence. While UVA is not a private school, Duke and UVA clearly fit with that list, while Harvard and Yale do not. I don't think it is much of a stretch to read "Harvard and Yale" as a separate sub-list. Plus, you can always use common sense in addition to grammatical analysis.

Right. If you are not from Louisiana, or have other strong ties, you are not going to get a job in a medium-sized firm in Shreveport just because you have a Stanford J.D.

Alex-Trof

Postby Alex-Trof » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:10 pm

lawboy81 wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:

Right. If you are not from Louisiana, or have other strong ties, you are not going to get a job in a medium-sized firm in Shreveport just because you have a Stanford J.D.

Would be hard to prove given that not that many (if any) Stanford JD's would gun for those jobs in the first place.

drylo

Postby drylo » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:35 pm

Alex-Trof wrote:
lawboy81 wrote:
Rock Chalk wrote:

Would be hard to prove given that not that many (if any) Stanford JD's would gun for those jobs in the first place.

You're right--it's kind of a dumb thing to argue about because the number of people who would go to Stanford and want to work in Shreveport without being from Shreveport (or having some connection to Shreveport) is probably very small.

Return to “Legal Employment”