0L Summer Job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jdstl

Bronze

0L Summer Job

Post by jdstl » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:54 pm

Soliciting advice here--I'm graduating from undergrad this May and starting at CLS in the fall.

I know the general advice is to just relax or whatever your final summer (and I intend to, God do I intend to) but I've slacked off during undergrad summers and not made any money/have an extremely thin resume (strong academically, almost nil on internships, etc.).

Basically I'm looking to make a little money before LS starts and my cost of living loans kick in. I can always just try to get a high-school style job, but I'm wondering if anyone has any bright ideas for something that would pay around minimum wage but at least add a small something to my resume.

Otherwise, I'll just start sending in apps to grocery stores.

Poli-Sci major in ug.

fatduck

Gold

Re: 0L Summer Job

Post by fatduck » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:14 pm

try to work as an assistant in a laboratory doing political science experiments

Andrzej

New

Post by Andrzej » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:24 pm

what is it that you enjoy in free time and leisure? what is it that you wish to do with future and family? these are important and can only answer themselves if you think about them and consider what life YOU REALLY WANT. i spent every summer as small boy as robotnik rolny or farmboy harvest potatoes rye wheat. every day throw shit on crops and learn nothing about life or what i want to do. now im 32 and have only final decided to go to law school in U.S.A to really change the world and make difference for me and all family in poland. good luck with future profession and i hope you find job that you REALLY WANT AND IMPORTANT TO YOUR LIFE AND GOALS.

jdstl

Bronze

Post by jdstl » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:56 pm

Andrzej wrote:what is it that you enjoy in free time and leisure? what is it that you wish to do with future and family? these are important and can only answer themselves if you think about them and consider what life YOU REALLY WANT. i spent every summer as small boy as robotnik rolny or farmboy harvest potatoes rye wheat. every day throw shit on crops and learn nothing about life or what i want to do. now im 32 and have only final decided to go to law school in U.S.A to really change the world and make difference for me and all family in poland. good luck with future profession and i hope you find job that you REALLY WANT AND IMPORTANT TO YOUR LIFE AND GOALS.
This is the best response ever.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Also curious, and also with a fairly thin resume. (And will this matter at all for OCI?)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:12 pm

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
beachbum wrote:will this matter at all for OCI?
No, not even remotely.
This seems to be the prevailing wisdom (that 0L summer employment doesn't matter). But what if that employment is legal related (say, an internship at a firm). Why would that be negligible experience? Conventional wisdom would say that two years of firm experience is better than one. Why is it that with OCI, 2 years at a firm is not better than 1?

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:16 pm

Move abroad and teach English for the summer (it might even make you want to defer admission for a year).

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:19 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
beachbum wrote:will this matter at all for OCI?
No, not even remotely.
This seems to be the prevailing wisdom (that 0L summer employment doesn't matter). But what if that employment is legal related (say, an internship at a firm). Why would that be negligible experience? Conventional wisdom would say that two years of firm experience is better than one. Why is it that with OCI, 2 years at a firm is not better than 1?
You will soon find that many things in law school are very counter-intuitive. Its not like doing some legal work 0L summer will hurt you, but it really won't do anything to help you. This is likely because, by the time you need to discuss your prior legal experience, it will be at 2L OCI, in which case your 1L summer job will be the most pertinent thing and will supersede anything that came before it. Though I guess if it was something so unique and interesting, then it could probably help. But who is going to give something so unique and interesting to some kid who hasn't even started law school yet and expect them to contribute meaningfully?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”