Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:29 pm

Hey everyone--serious, time-sensitive question here. I am posting here to be anonymous, because I don't want to be outed re: considering deferring for other schools.

I have applied and been admitted to many t14 schools (pending at an HYS and a t6, but none yet), some with major scholarships. However, I have an amazing job with some very well connected people (former cabinet members, etc), some of which have legal backgrounds, others with DHS, CIA, etc. I ideally want to work in DoJ, CIA, DHS, etc's GC offices, but would settle for BigLaw if I don't get it.

My employer is trying to convince me to stay another year, give me a promotion and raise, and then help me try and reach the truly elite schools (HYS) via recommendations, work experience, connections, etc next year. They truly believe they can do it, and they are well-known, powerful people (some are alums of these schools too). So, my question is, could these people actually conceivably get a 3.7-4.0/168-172 kid into HYS?

I don't want to give up my financial aid offers to certain schools that I am very happy with, but I love my job and there is huge appeal in HYS, especially given how competitive the field I want to work in is. Also, keeping them loving me will help when I apply for the government honors programs. Any advice would be appreciated.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby bdubs » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:34 pm

We would need to know more exact numbers to give you a realistic perspective, those are too big of a range for HYS.

Also seems like people in that LSAT band are more likely to get H primarily when they came from an elite undergrad. Did you go to a top school?

srvyorgeneral
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby srvyorgeneral » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone--serious, time-sensitive question here. I am posting here to be anonymous, because I don't want to be outed re: considering deferring for other schools.

I have applied and been admitted to many t14 schools (pending at an HYS and a t6, but none yet), some with major scholarships. However, I have an amazing job with some very well connected people (former cabinet members, etc), some of which have legal backgrounds, others with DHS, CIA, etc. I ideally want to work in DoJ, CIA, DHS, etc's GC offices, but would settle for BigLaw if I don't get it.

My employer is trying to convince me to stay another year, give me a promotion and raise, and then help me try and reach the truly elite schools (HYS) via recommendations, work experience, connections, etc next year. They truly believe they can do it, and they are well-known, powerful people (some are alums of these schools too). So, my question is, could these people actually conceivably get a 3.7-4.0/168-172 kid into HYS?

I don't want to give up my financial aid offers to certain schools that I am very happy with, but I love my job and there is huge appeal in HYS, especially given how competitive the field I want to work in is. Also, keeping them loving me will help when I apply for the government honors programs. Any advice would be appreciated.


I'm a DC guy, and know a few applicants this year who have friends in very high places in Senate, WH etc. My sense is that unless you (a) retake the LSAT; (b) have a LOR writer who knows you extremely well AND is an alumnus or has some other strong connection to the school, it won't make a damn bit of difference.

Add to that the fact that if you've already applied to HYS, you have to check the box indicating that you've already applied. While not necessarily a black mark, the common refrain from lots of admissions deans is that if you didn't get accepted the first time...you better have an excellent, tangible reason for applying again if you want the outcome to be different. If you can't change your GPA....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:52 pm

Thanks for the insight. I am on the high end of both of those ranges, but don't want to get too specific or it'll be obvious. I only applied to one of the HYS, and it is the one where I know an emtremely famous almun. He has not yet been involved in the process, and likely won't be this year, although there would be the "black mark" for the school next year.

cheesenoodlekugel
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:29 pm

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby cheesenoodlekugel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:03 pm

Eh, it probably won't help much admissions-wise. But...it sounds like deferring makes sense for you anyway. It sounds like your current employer likes you and has connections to lots of very good legal positions that you are interested in doing. Staying another year and then hopefully getting your contacts there to help you land a good job could be very valuable. And it'll hopefully give the economy another year to start turning around as well.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby bdubs » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the insight. I am on the high end of both of those ranges, but don't want to get too specific or it'll be obvious. I only applied to one of the HYS, and it is the one where I know an emtremely famous almun. He has not yet been involved in the process, and likely won't be this year, although there would be the "black mark" for the school next year.


3.9+, 171+ with good work experience and recommendations should stand a reasonable shot at getting one of YHS. If you already had those stats and have your current position on your resume, it might not make that big of a difference to get a single level promotion and ~1 more year of work experience.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:58 pm

Its a tough call. My get says stay--I have a great job and a shot at HYS (however slim), but its hard to leave near full-tuition on the table at schools I would be thrilled to attend.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby Borhas » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone--serious, time-sensitive question here. I am posting here to be anonymous, because I don't want to be outed re: considering deferring for other schools.

I have applied and been admitted to many t14 schools (pending at an HYS and a t6, but none yet), some with major scholarships. However, I have an amazing job with some very well connected people (former cabinet members, etc), some of which have legal backgrounds, others with DHS, CIA, etc. I ideally want to work in DoJ, CIA, DHS, etc's GC offices, but would settle for BigLaw if I don't get it.

My employer is trying to convince me to stay another year, give me a promotion and raise, and then help me try and reach the truly elite schools (HYS) via recommendations, work experience, connections, etc next year. They truly believe they can do it, and they are well-known, powerful people (some are alums of these schools too). So, my question is, could these people actually conceivably get a 3.7-4.0/168-172 kid into HYS?

I don't want to give up my financial aid offers to certain schools that I am very happy with, but I love my job and there is huge appeal in HYS, especially given how competitive the field I want to work in is. Also, keeping them loving me will help when I apply for the government honors programs. Any advice would be appreciated.


stay an extra year... unless you get into Yale

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:23 am

Borhas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone--serious, time-sensitive question here. I am posting here to be anonymous, because I don't want to be outed re: considering deferring for other schools.

I have applied and been admitted to many t14 schools (pending at an HYS and a t6, but none yet), some with major scholarships. However, I have an amazing job with some very well connected people (former cabinet members, etc), some of which have legal backgrounds, others with DHS, CIA, etc. I ideally want to work in DoJ, CIA, DHS, etc's GC offices, but would settle for BigLaw if I don't get it.

My employer is trying to convince me to stay another year, give me a promotion and raise, and then help me try and reach the truly elite schools (HYS) via recommendations, work experience, connections, etc next year. They truly believe they can do it, and they are well-known, powerful people (some are alums of these schools too). So, my question is, could these people actually conceivably get a 3.7-4.0/168-172 kid into HYS?

I don't want to give up my financial aid offers to certain schools that I am very happy with, but I love my job and there is huge appeal in HYS, especially given how competitive the field I want to work in is. Also, keeping them loving me will help when I apply for the government honors programs. Any advice would be appreciated.


stay an extra year... unless you get into Yale


Thanks for the feedback. Is this a Yale or bust b/c my career goals are so ridicuously unattainable, or do you actually think I could get in to HYS next year?

HWS08
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby HWS08 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Its a tough call. My get says stay--I have a great job and a shot at HYS (however slim), but its hard to leave near full-tuition on the table at schools I would be thrilled to attend.


Can you defer at one school and keep your scholarships? I did that last year and was able to keep a scholarship, although now I am probably not attending that school because I retook the LSAT and got into much better ones. I think I just had to send an e-mail to the admissions office. I basically told them I'd been promoted and wanted to spend one more year at my job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:43 am

HWS08 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Its a tough call. My get says stay--I have a great job and a shot at HYS (however slim), but its hard to leave near full-tuition on the table at schools I would be thrilled to attend.


Can you defer at one school and keep your scholarships? I did that last year and was able to keep a scholarship, although now I am probably not attending that school because I retook the LSAT and got into much better ones. I think I just had to send an e-mail to the admissions office. I basically told them I'd been promoted and wanted to spend one more year at my job.


I intend to try once I am done negotiating and have all my offers. However, I am not overly confident I can make it work--most people say you can defer acceptances but not awards.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:47 am

FWIW, I know someone who will likely (90%) be getting into UVA w/a sub 160 LSAT (non-URM) b/c he knew some prominent and well connected alumnus who made things happen for him.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:13 am

Idk, I think you keep the job. Save up more money, get to know people better that seem to be very high up. Law school will always be there and your current LSAT is valid for 5 years. You can always ask the schools with scholly money to defer or just apply September 1st. I feel like if people as high up as you say they are want you to stay you stay, especially with a raise.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4858
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby Borhas » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Borhas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone--serious, time-sensitive question here. I am posting here to be anonymous, because I don't want to be outed re: considering deferring for other schools.

I have applied and been admitted to many t14 schools (pending at an HYS and a t6, but none yet), some with major scholarships. However, I have an amazing job with some very well connected people (former cabinet members, etc), some of which have legal backgrounds, others with DHS, CIA, etc. I ideally want to work in DoJ, CIA, DHS, etc's GC offices, but would settle for BigLaw if I don't get it.

My employer is trying to convince me to stay another year, give me a promotion and raise, and then help me try and reach the truly elite schools (HYS) via recommendations, work experience, connections, etc next year. They truly believe they can do it, and they are well-known, powerful people (some are alums of these schools too). So, my question is, could these people actually conceivably get a 3.7-4.0/168-172 kid into HYS?

I don't want to give up my financial aid offers to certain schools that I am very happy with, but I love my job and there is huge appeal in HYS, especially given how competitive the field I want to work in is. Also, keeping them loving me will help when I apply for the government honors programs. Any advice would be appreciated.


stay an extra year... unless you get into Yale


Thanks for the feedback. Is this a Yale or bust b/c my career goals are so ridicuously unattainable, or do you actually think I could get in to HYS next year?


your current career sounds infinitely better than Big Law, so I think you should probably just ingrain yourself in your career a little bit more then hopefully get into Yale or Harvard and use that to boost yourself within the career you already have.

3.7-4.0 w/ 168-172 has good chance at HYS... make it a 173 and I'd say H has excellent probability, make it 3.86+ and shots are excellent. Y/S are weirder, but your experience is exactly the sort of things these schools look for. Remember, every school loves to take in students that are already successful, so that they can point to your success after graduation as their own doing (when in reality it was probably mostly your own doing).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:10 pm

Borhas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Borhas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey everyone--serious, time-sensitive question here. I am posting here to be anonymous, because I don't want to be outed re: considering deferring for other schools.

I have applied and been admitted to many t14 schools (pending at an HYS and a t6, but none yet), some with major scholarships. However, I have an amazing job with some very well connected people (former cabinet members, etc), some of which have legal backgrounds, others with DHS, CIA, etc. I ideally want to work in DoJ, CIA, DHS, etc's GC offices, but would settle for BigLaw if I don't get it.

My employer is trying to convince me to stay another year, give me a promotion and raise, and then help me try and reach the truly elite schools (HYS) via recommendations, work experience, connections, etc next year. They truly believe they can do it, and they are well-known, powerful people (some are alums of these schools too). So, my question is, could these people actually conceivably get a 3.7-4.0/168-172 kid into HYS?

I don't want to give up my financial aid offers to certain schools that I am very happy with, but I love my job and there is huge appeal in HYS, especially given how competitive the field I want to work in is. Also, keeping them loving me will help when I apply for the government honors programs. Any advice would be appreciated.


stay an extra year... unless you get into Yale


Thanks for the feedback. Is this a Yale or bust b/c my career goals are so ridicuously unattainable, or do you actually think I could get in to HYS next year?


your current career sounds infinitely better than Big Law, so I think you should probably just ingrain yourself in your career a little bit more then hopefully get into Yale or Harvard and use that to boost yourself within the career you already have.

3.7-4.0 w/ 168-172 has good chance at HYS... make it a 173 and I'd say H has excellent probability, make it 3.86+ and shots are excellent. Y/S are weirder, but your experience is exactly the sort of things these schools look for. Remember, every school loves to take in students that are already successful, so that they can point to your success after graduation as their own doing (when in reality it was probably mostly your own doing).


Interesting feedback. Thanks so much guys. I am really considering this deferral, it is just hard to leave well over 100k from t14 on the table. There are other factors too (soon-to-be fiancee accepted to grad school at one of the schools I'm considering, etc), but I am trying to get people's opinions from a solely law school/career perspective to then weigh with other factors. I am also sitting down with the guy who is a former HYS grad and high-level government member to discuss my options, which should help. I just hope he provides an objective opinion in lieu of solely recruiting me.

It seems to be that most of you believe staying is best, possibly for law school admissions but more likely for future employment.

gabbagabba
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Admissions/Employment Q: How much can knowing people help?

Postby gabbagabba » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:15 pm

I'd say stay - even if you don't get into your choice, LS, those powerful connections and letters of rec. will definitely come in handy when you're searching for a job.

And when/if you go to Law school, don't forget to keep in touch with your benefactors




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.