biglaw w/o ties? (not school's primary market)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

biglaw w/o ties? (not school's primary market)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:45 pm

I will be starting 1L this fall at UPenn. Obviously, Penn places primarily in NYC, and to a lesser extent, D.C. For various reasons, I would like to practice biglaw in Chicago or L.A. after graduation, but I have no real ties to either. Does anyone have experience with this, first-hand or otherwise? What can I do to try to make this happen? Any anecdotes, tips, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please note: I realize that as a 0L, I need to primarily be concerned with my grades, that I only have a 50/50 shot at biglaw and that I shouldn't assume that I'll be in the top half of my class. I'm asking you to suspend disbelief for the sake of this discussion. Getting good grades aside, what can I do?

I hope that this thread can help others as well, as I'm sure there are many others thinking about this. Thank you for your help in advance.

PiersonVee

Re: biglaw w/o ties? (not school's primary market)

Postby PiersonVee » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:52 pm

Find an internship in either Chicago or LA during your 1L summer. You may need to take an unpaid position, but at least you will establish a tie to the market.

Return to “Legal Employment”