Got a job offer, worried about drug test Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
moose

New

Got a job offer, worried about drug test

Post by moose » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:27 pm

So I got an offer letter and I have to go do a piss test within 2 days. I don't do drugs and have never done drugs,...however I have a severe deviated septum as well as sinus problems that cause nasal cogestion for which I take Afrin nasal spray a couple of times a day atleast until I have surgery at some point to correct the problem. So I've been reading that Afrin has been known to cause false positives for amphetamines. What should I do exactly? I'm not sure how drug tests work or whether you can notify the testing company of what you've taken so they can double check. I'm just worried that if I put in my two weeks notice and then fail the drug test,...i'll be out of a job.

Unitas

Silver

Re: Got a job offer, worried about drug test

Post by Unitas » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:30 pm

moose wrote:So I got an offer letter and I have to go do a piss test within 2 days. I don't do drugs and have never done drugs,...however I have a severe deviated septum as well as sinus problems that cause nasal cogestion for which I take Afrin nasal spray a couple of times a day atleast until I have surgery at some point to correct the problem. So I've been reading that Afrin has been known to cause false positives for amphetamines. What should I do exactly? I'm not sure how drug tests work or whether you can notify the testing company of what you've taken so they can double check. I'm just worried that if I put in my two weeks notice and then fail the drug test,...i'll be out of a job.
Last time I took a test they asked me if I was taking any prescription drugs or drugs on a regular basis. They may still do that, but it was a long time ago. Even if not asked, take the spray with you and show them and express some concern about it. They'll handle it I would assume...

fetalposition

New

Post by fetalposition » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:30 pm

First of all, you're probably overreacting. There is a 99% chance that you'll be fine. If you are really worried, drink a shit ton of water (gallon + per day) and/or cranberry juice in the days leading up to your test. I've known kids who have smoked, aqua-loaded for 5 days, and pissed clean. Good luck.

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:32 pm

moose wrote:So I got an offer letter and I have to go do a piss test within 2 days. I don't do drugs and have never done drugs,...however I have a severe deviated septum as well as sinus problems that cause nasal cogestion for which I take Afrin nasal spray a couple of times a day atleast until I have surgery at some point to correct the problem. So I've been reading that Afrin has been known to cause false positives for amphetamines. What should I do exactly? I'm not sure how drug tests work or whether you can notify the testing company of what you've taken so they can double check. I'm just worried that if I put in my two weeks notice and then fail the drug test,...i'll be out of a job.
Same thing happened to me with sudafed - just inform them and you'll be fine, don't worry. Also, if you've eaten poppy seeds in the last few days, tell them about that.

(On the other hand, if your deviated septum is from cocaine use, then that could be a problem.)

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:33 pm

Unitas wrote:
Last time I took a test they asked me if I was taking any prescription drugs or drugs on a regular basis. They may still do that, but it was a long time ago. Even if not asked, take the spray with you and show them and express some concern about it. They'll handle it I would assume...

+1. Just disclose it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fetalposition

New

Post by fetalposition » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:33 pm

amorfati wrote:
Same thing happened to me with sudafed - just inform them and you'll be fine, don't worry. Also, if you've eaten poppy seeds in the last few days, tell them about that.

(On the other hand, if your deviated septum is from cocaine use, then that could be a problem.)
poppy seeds = myth

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Do you have a copy of your prescription? A doctor's note and a proper prescription would help clarify any false positives.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:41 pm

There's a list of, like, hundreds of OTC and legal prescription drugs that can cause false positives, and the labs know them all. A good lab will have a low rate of false positives. I'm pretty sure they still ask if you're taking any medications, so definitely disclose it. Take the Afrin with you. Being up front is much better than trying to explain away an unexpected positive result after the fact.

By the way, there's a reason they tell you not to take Afrin for more than a couple of days. The rebound Rhinitis medicamentosa that can result is not fun.

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Unitas wrote:Last time I took a test they asked me if I was taking any prescription drugs or drugs on a regular basis. They may still do that, but it was a long time ago. Even if not asked, take the spray with you and show them and express some concern about it. They'll handle it I would assume...
Every drug test I've taken has always asked me if I'm taking any prescriptions. You'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:48 pm

Never done drugs, yet you have a deviated septum. hmmmm...

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:49 pm

Also, it's pretty doubtful that they will even test your piss for amphetamines.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:50 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Also, it's pretty doubtful that they will even test your piss for amphetamines.
Amphetamines are a part of the standard NIDA-5 panel test (cocaine, PCP, amphetamines, opiates, and marijuana) the most commonly used drug test, I can guarantee you the test he took includes amphetamines

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:55 pm

not here to judge any drug use, OTC or otherwise--

But you have to tell them you use Afrin regularly. If you want to get into it you can tell them it is under a doctor's supervision. What people do not understand is that false positives for a number of OTC drugs occur on a regular basis, and often this can cost someone a job as tests are too sensitive. Do what others say, drink a bunch of water and disclose all OTC and prescription medications. You would be surprised at the types of medicines cause positives, such as ibuprofen.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ogurty

Bronze

Post by ogurty » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:57 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:By the way, there's a reason they tell you not to take Afrin for more than a couple of days. The rebound Rhinitis medicamentosa that can result is not fun.
This! I wouldn't worry about the drug test, but for god's sake go see a doctor.

Patriot1208

Platinum

Post by Patriot1208 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:58 pm

dr123 wrote:
Patriot1208 wrote:Also, it's pretty doubtful that they will even test your piss for amphetamines.
Amphetamines are a part of the standard NIDA-5 panel test (cocaine, PCP, amphetamines, opiates, and marijuana) the most commonly used drug test, I can guarantee you the test he took includes amphetamines
Hmm, I was under the impression that amphetamines weren't included in the standard test. My bad.

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:05 pm

ogurty wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:By the way, there's a reason they tell you not to take Afrin for more than a couple of days. The rebound Rhinitis medicamentosa that can result is not fun.
This! I wouldn't worry about the drug test, but for god's sake go see a doctor.
Seconded. I once was on Afrin, self-administered for a routine sinus congestion/cold, for three weeks straight. The dose is supposed to last 12 hours, it was barely lasting four.

Basically, you get both rebound congestion AND the medicine becomes less effective because it acts on receptors in your nasal epithelium by down-regulating them, so the more you use it the fewer active sites exist for the medicine to act upon. Bottom line, as I was told by my doctor, quit it cold turkey if you can, but if not (which is what I did) buy the real Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) 12-hour 120mg pills from behind your pharmacy counter and take those as directed for a couple of days.

moose

New

Post by moose » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:22 pm

I'm taking Afrin as directed by my ENT until I get a CT sinus scan. Reason being that he wants as little congestion as possible for a proper reading of my sinus structure. I'm aware of the limits.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:24 pm

dr123 wrote:Never done drugs, yet you have a deviated septum. hmmmm...
My ENT tells me its quite common.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:14 pm

--ImageRemoved--

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:28 pm

does this really need to be a thread?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:30 pm

What drugs do they want you to test & why ?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:38 pm

fetalposition wrote:
amorfati wrote:

poppy seeds = myth
mythbusters tested it and said that if you eat a huge amount you can get a positive drug test. however, the amount was so big that nobody would eat that many poppy seeds without a conscious effort.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:39 pm

zanda wrote:
fetalposition wrote:
amorfati wrote:

poppy seeds = myth
mythbusters tested it and said that if you eat a huge amount you can get a positive drug test. however, the amount was so big that nobody would eat that many poppy seeds without a conscious effort.
i eat a shitload of poppy seeds, but i do it to get high, so i guess it's fair that i fail a drug test.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:43 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:does this really need to be a thread?
seriously, the thread is fucking asbergers. almost as bad as the thread about how a credit score lower than 720 will auto-ding u from most V20s.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:09 pm

zanda wrote: mythbusters tested it and said that if you eat a huge amount you can get a positive drug test. however, the amount was so big that nobody would eat that many poppy seeds without a conscious effort.
Some people have a genetic variance that makes them eliminate opioid metabolites at a slower rate then most people, so in the very rare event you were one of them, and you really, really, liked poppy seeds, you could trip a false positive. But generally speaking, Mythbusters is right.

As for the OP: you are not going to trip a false positive from Afrin. Don't sweat it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”