How does 2L job searching work?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Zannie1986

How does 2L job searching work?

Postby Zannie1986 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm a 1L, I started sending out apps early, like dec and jan and i'm all set for the summer in a public interest job, but I don't really understand how job searching works any of the other years. I know that it starts earlier (summer/fall). Should I just start sending out resumes in July or something?

I'm concerned bc I already know what my first choice is for next summer, but I have a back up I turned down this year but want to pursue if I can't get the #1 job (we have a history, they're still interested). I don't want to apply to my #2 if I have to turn them down again for my #1, so I was wondering if the timelines for each organziation was pretty much the same, and whether it's inappropriate to ask them their timelines.

Thanks.

reverendt

Re: How does 2L job searching work?

Postby reverendt » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Depends on how much OCI (on campus recruiting) on going at your school these days.
Traditionally, late in your 1L summer you will get a list (probably online) of firms that will be coming to your school to conduct interviews. You apply to these firms and hope that they grant you interviews.
These are generally larger firms....small firms do not recruit this way usually.
If you're at a T14 OR your in the top 20% (give or take) of your class at the end of 1L, this is a viable way of getting a 2L summer job.
HOWEVER, if you're not....most of these big firms probably wont grant you an interview. So then apply like you did this year....during 2L fall and winter start sending out resumes, networking, etc.
Good luck!!!

Zannie1986

Postby Zannie1986 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:03 pm

is this true for the non-firm (public interest, non profit) route, too?

charliebrownwn

Postby charliebrownwn » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:29 pm

relevant to my interests. someone respond re: PI please

tophat

Postby tophat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:16 am

Unfortunately the timing for the 2L public interest hunt is not consistent. Some places have deadlines early, like in September/October and others don't even think about hiring until the NYU public interest fair in Feb (for NYC jobs). You should talk to your top two choices and ask them about their timelines (or talk to students who worked there if you don't feel comfortable talking to the organization itself).

Return to “Legal Employment”