NYU Law Summer Housing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYU Law Summer Housing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Has anyone working in NYC this summer applied for housing at NYU Law? If so, have you received an initial assignment yet? I applied toward the end of last month and so far haven't heard anything. The email I received when applying said assignments would begin being made in mid-March, but that they only contact you if you get one (??!) so I'm assuming if I haven't heard from them by some point then I'm out of luck ... or waitlisted, maybe?

If anyone who applied this year, or maybe people who did it last year, could let me know what the timeline is on this I'd appreciate it. Don't wanna end up homeless for the summer.

Anonymous User

Re: NYU Law Summer Housing

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone working in NYC this summer applied for housing at NYU Law? If so, have you received an initial assignment yet? I applied toward the end of last month and so far haven't heard anything. The email I received when applying said assignments would begin being made in mid-March, but that they only contact you if you get one (??!) so I'm assuming if I haven't heard from them by some point then I'm out of luck ... or waitlisted, maybe?

If anyone who applied this year, or maybe people who did it last year, could let me know what the timeline is on this I'd appreciate it. Don't wanna end up homeless for the summer.

I just got my apartment-type assignment today. Upper floor!

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:31 am

Is the nyu law housing somehow different than the regular nyu housing application process? I applied two days after it opened (like 3 weeks ago) and I still haven't been assigned. I'm not worried, but Ill be pissed if submitting on day 2 was too late for a single :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone working in NYC this summer applied for housing at NYU Law? If so, have you received an initial assignment yet? I applied toward the end of last month and so far haven't heard anything. The email I received when applying said assignments would begin being made in mid-March, but that they only contact you if you get one (??!) so I'm assuming if I haven't heard from them by some point then I'm out of luck ... or waitlisted, maybe?

I just got my apartment-type assignment today. Upper floor!

Congrats! When did you submit the application?

And to answer Big Shrimpin, yes, there are two separate application processes for NYU housing and NYU law housing. NYU Law uses the law school apartment-type buildings, while regular NYU seems to be mostly dorms.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:32 am

Well on the form you had 7 choices. I chose all apartment-style rooms, and I hoped that my expediency in filling out the application would translate to a selection high on my list. My last two selections were dorms, and I really hope I don't get stuck in one of those this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:33 pm

I applied to NYU law summer housing about 4 hours after the application opened and was just informed of my assignment yesterday. I requested single occupancy rooms as my top choices but ended up in a double.

destrou27

Postby destrou27 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:44 pm

Hi, if anyone is interested in housing within NYC then send me an email. I am currently a student at Columbia University and will be looking to sublet my housing this summer. It is located on 120th and Amsterdam and like anything in NYC-- easily accessible via the 1 train.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to NYU law summer housing about 4 hours after the application opened and was just informed of my assignment yesterday. I requested single occupancy rooms as my top choices but ended up in a double.

F. What number choice did you get?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:15 pm

Big Shrimpin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied to NYU law summer housing about 4 hours after the application opened and was just informed of my assignment yesterday. I requested single occupancy rooms as my top choices but ended up in a double.

F. What number choice did you get?

I think there were 3 or 4 number choices available and I put down single occupancy rooms on lower floors for all of them. But then there was a box where you could check "place me in any available room if my top choices are not available" and I checked that. I ended up with a double in the same building I requested but in a middle floor.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:46 pm

What day did the application open? I'm trying to get a sense of how late I applied.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What day did the application open? I'm trying to get a sense of how late I applied.

Also curious about this. I applied for short term housing (only 4 weeks) so I think I'm low priority and only get an assignment if space is left after all the long term assignments. :?

Anyone know how many people requesting short term housing typically get it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What day did the application open? I'm trying to get a sense of how late I applied.

The application opened January 13th at around 8 or 9 am.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The application opened January 13th at around 8 or 9 am.

Yikes, that's terrible news for me. I didn't finalize my internship plans until late February, so that's when I submitted the app. Does anyone have a sense of my chances for getting a room at this point?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:25 pm

Bumping this thread again.

This is my understanding:

For non-NYU students, the application did not become available until late February. I applied the day you could register (I had been put on the "notification email" list months ago, and NYU sent me an email saying I could register to apply for NYU housing on the 25th). I was approved with my NYU-login information on March 1 (since when you registered via email, it said it would be 3 business days before you could get your NYUID number and login information), and completed the application the same day (application and payment processed). Anybody else have similar chronology? Some of the posters here seem to be NYU students, so I'm directing these questions primarily toward non-NYU students.

If people are really being stiffed on choices, despite having completed the application mere hours before me, then fml. Out of 7 choices, I chose all single-room options in different buildings. The last few choices were singles in dorm-style buildings (e.g. common bathrooms). Are these arrangements as awful as/akin to UG dorms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this thread again.

For non-NYU students, the application did not become available until late February. I applied the day you could register (I had been put on the "notification email" list months ago, and NYU sent me an email saying I could register to apply for NYU housing on the 25th). I was approved with my NYU-login information on March 1 (since when you registered via email, it said it would be 3 business days before you could get your NYUID number and login information), and completed the application the same day (application and payment processed). Anybody else have similar chronology? Some of the posters here seem to be NYU students, so I'm directing these questions primarily toward non-NYU students.

If people are really being stiffed on choices, despite having completed the application mere hours before me, then fml. Out of 7 choices, I chose all single-room options in different buildings. The last few choices were singles in dorm-style buildings (e.g. common bathrooms). Are these arrangements as awful as/akin to UG dorms?

Did you apply to NYU housing? From this thread, it seems that is different from NYU Law housing. For NYU Law housing, the application opened for non-NYU students January 13th.

I am not a student at NYU. I signed up for the NYU law housing listserv to be notified when the application would be open. I was emailed on the 13th of January that the application had gone live. There was no registration process to apply. I clicked the link in the email, filled out the application, and paid the application fee/initial deposit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this thread again.

Did you apply to NYU housing? From this thread, it seems that is different from NYU Law housing. For NYU Law housing, the application opened for non-NYU students January 13th.

I am not a student at NYU. I signed up for the NYU law housing listserv to be notified when the application would be open. I was emailed on the 13th of January that the application had gone live. There was no registration process to apply. I clicked the link in the email, filled out the application, and paid the application fee/initial deposit.

Confusion resolved. Thanks!

nychousingguy

Postby nychousingguy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:57 pm

I've got a furnished room available for rent for this June and July that's perfect for any law student in NYC for a summer internship. It's located in Brooklyn Heights (charming neighborhood 1 subway stop into Brooklyn). It's in a 2 bedroom apartment in an historic brownstone. Hard wood floors, high ceilings, dishwasher, two blocks away from the water.

I'm a law student in NYC who's working outside the city this summer. Feel free to email me, for pictures and more information.

xxfakeemail987xx@hotmail.com
This is a real email address. I usually use it for junk mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:41 pm

Anyone received an assignment in the past few days? NYU *Law*, not general NYU housing. I'm starting to lose hope. :(

PolarBear

Postby PolarBear » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:12 am

Big Shrimpin wrote:Is the nyu law housing somehow different than the regular nyu housing application process? I applied two days after it opened (like 3 weeks ago) and I still haven't been assigned. I'm not worried, but Ill be pissed if submitting on day 2 was too late for a single :(

I've never gone through this process, but heavily researched it when I was interested in getting a summer banking internship in NYC. I can't speak for the NYU law housing, but I do know that NYU general housing is in high demand, and in the past some people who applied the day of the application opening were turned away. This doesn't necessarily mean that will be the case, but from my research, if you want your first options, you need to have the application filled out and submitted within hours. Moreover, the dorms there are rather nice, but they can be very strict about visitors (from what I have been told from friends who have lived there).

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:46 am

PolarBear wrote:
Big Shrimpin wrote:Is the nyu law housing somehow different than the regular nyu housing application process? I applied two days after it opened (like 3 weeks ago) and I still haven't been assigned. I'm not worried, but Ill be pissed if submitting on day 2 was too late for a single :(

I've never gone through this process, but heavily researched it when I was interested in getting a summer banking internship in NYC. I can't speak for the NYU law housing, but I do know that NYU general housing is in high demand, and in the past some people who applied the day of the application opening were turned away. This doesn't necessarily mean that will be the case, but from my research, if you want your first options, you need to have the application filled out and submitted within hours. Moreover, the dorms there are rather nice, but they can be very strict about visitors (from what I have been told from friends who have lived there).

I've been to visit friends a bunch so I know the deal about visitors. I really hope I get a room. If not, then f. I hate creeping on craigslist, looking for housing.

Return to “Legal Employment”