Moving to NYC with no JOB Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Crazy4lawzzz

New

Re: Moving to NYC with no JOB

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:30 pm

bk187 wrote:
Crazy4lawzzz wrote:The position is in a rural area. The other problem is that I'd have to take PA or NY bars as you cannot take both in the same session. So it wouldn't be as simple as taking this job and to keep looking in nyc or something. My instincts tell me that I would be making a mistake taking this job despite being a lawyer position.
Don't PA and NY have reciprocity?
They do but you have to have practiced at least 5 years in one state to gain admissions to the other.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:59 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Crazy4lawzzz wrote:The position is in a rural area. The other problem is that I'd have to take PA or NY bars as you cannot take both in the same session. So it wouldn't be as simple as taking this job and to keep looking in nyc or something. My instincts tell me that I would be making a mistake taking this job despite being a lawyer position.
They do but you have to have practiced at least 5 years in one state to gain admissions to the other.
Then practice for 5 years in PA at the job you were offered and then go to NY.

Crazy4lawzzz

New

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:02 pm

keg411 wrote:
Crazy4lawzzz wrote:
bk187 wrote:
Then practice for 5 years in PA at the job you were offered and then go to NY.
The problem is I hear that firms really look down on public interest type lawyers (esp. poverty type law) and I would not be getting the type of experience that would be relevant to areas of law that really make money.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:14 pm

Look, I probably go to the same school that you go to. And I know that if you do not get a big firm job during OCI and work at a firm your 2L summer, it is not going to happen for you (especially if you have mediocre grades). There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a public interest attorney.

All that will happen if you go to NYC will that you will be unemployed, miserable, start posting on JDU, and doing doc review projects instead of a nice, steady salaried position (likely with benefits). Talk to your unemployed classmates. I bet they would all take the job.

gradesmatter

New

Post by gradesmatter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:07 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Crazy4lawzzz wrote:Sorry it wasn't really my intention to be anonymous. I'm just desperate. I really don't know much about PA and I love nyc. I really rely and trust the overall message that gets across on this website and want to know what ppl think. My decision to go to a Tier 2 instead of a T30 was based on smart advice on this forum so I am seeking its help again.
Flame?
That's actually solid advice--if OP's median at a tier 2, then I doubt he's cracking median at a top 30. Plus, this way he has very little debt vs. a ton of debt and no job prospects at the t30.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stonepeep

Bronze

Post by stonepeep » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:19 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:The problem is I hear that firms really look down on public interest type lawyers (esp. poverty type law) and I would not be getting the type of experience that would be relevant to areas of law that really make money.
You're not going to get a firm job that "really make money" at this point. Just take the job you already have and quit dreaming of a job you're not going to get at this current point in time. Maybe it seems "ridiculously pessimistic" to think that you can't just show up in NYC and get a job, but guess what, the legal job market right now is "ridiculously" bad. If people could just show up in NYC and get jobs then there wouldn't be tons of law grads in the area who've been unemployed for months, would there?

On the other hand, you can continue with your strategy of asking the same question over and over again until you get the answer you want. It's pretty clear that you don't want anyone's honest opinion here; you only want to hear what you want to hear and until you hear it you're not going to stop asking the question. So, good luck with that, I guess.

gradesmatter

New

Post by gradesmatter » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:19 pm

Then practice for 5 years in PA at the job you were offered and then go to NY

The problem is I hear that firms really look down on public interest type lawyers (esp. poverty type law) and I would not be getting the type of experience that would be relevant to areas of law that really make money.

Dude...the big law train left the station and you're not on it. Take the PA job.

Crazy4lawzzz

New

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:06 pm

Anyone here know how hard it is to get doc review jobs in NYC?

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:10 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:Anyone here know how hard it is to get doc review jobs in NYC?
There's something seriously wrong with you if you'd rather move to NYC to maybe have a chance of doing doc review in a city with a ridiculously high COL instead of taking a sure thing at a job that will be infinitely more interesting that reviewing documents with no benefits and meager pay.

Go to NYC, leave the other job to someone who has a brain.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Crazy4lawzzz

New

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:18 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Crazy4lawzzz wrote:Anyone here know how hard it is to get doc review jobs in NYC?
There's something seriously wrong with you if you'd rather move to NYC to maybe have a chance of doing doc review in a city with a ridiculously high COL instead of taking a sure thing at a job that will be infinitely more interesting that reviewing documents with no benefits and meager pay.

Its not my goal to do doc review forever. Just make some extra money on the side while I find a job. I just don't see a future in being a public interest lawyer in some rural-ish area. I've interned at a place like this and you don't learn anything and I'm sure firms and govt entities are aware of the incompetence associated. Any other thought of the availability of doc review jobs in NYC?

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Its not my goal to do doc review forever. Just make some extra money on the side while I find a job. I just don't see a future in being a public interest lawyer in some rural-ish area. I've interned at a place like this and you don't learn anything and I'm sure firms and govt entities are aware of the incompetence associated. Any other thought of the availability of doc review jobs in NYC?
I don't really understand your line of reasoning.

You are thumb your nose at a public interest organization because you "don't learn anything." Yet, your solution to not having a job is to go do doc review. Do you really believe that doc review will provide a better learning experience than a public interest organization? What about the PD that you said in a other thread that you have a job offer from?

Look, you have two options - either take a legal job that will allow you to build some legal experience or be unemployed (or not employed in a legal job) when you graduate. You have to play the cards you are dealt - take the PI job and make the most of it.

That said, you clearly don't want the public interest job. No amount of logical reasoning will change your mind - so why waste everyone's time by asking?

DukeCornell

Bronze

Post by DukeCornell » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:54 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:It's always easier to get a job when you have a job.
This is sooooooo fucking true!

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:00 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Crazy4lawzzz wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

I don't really understand your line of reasoning.

You are thumb your nose at a public interest organization because you "don't learn anything." Yet, your solution to not having a job is to go do doc review. Do you really believe that doc review will provide a better learning experience than a public interest organization? What about the PD that you said in a other thread that you have a job offer from?

Look, you have two options - either take a legal job that will allow you to build some legal experience or be unemployed (or not employed in a legal job) when you graduate. You have to play the cards you are dealt - take the PI job and make the most of it.

That said, you clearly don't want the public interest job. No amount of logical reasoning will change your mind - so why waste everyone's time by asking?
I say we just let him do what he wants as he clearly is not going to change his position. A year from now he'll have a thread called "How to get rehired at a job you were previously accepted to?" at which point, we will respond with a resounding *facepalm*

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Look pal, the job in wherever you are is your best bet.

You will not get biglaw in NY...you will probably not get anything there.

You do not want a docreview job, regardless of how badly you want NY.

Get this NY dream out; it's dead, it's gone, accept the PA job and thank your lucky stars that you have a job in a competitive market coming from a T2.

Crazy4lawzzz

New

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:53 pm

Are there only biglaw jovs in NYC? I don't necessarily want a biglaw job...I just don't want to be doing family law or something in the middle of nowhere. I don't understand why this is hard to grasp. My question is simply...how hard is it to find enough doc review in nyc to supplement a modest stream of income? However if the NYC market is only biglaw then I understand. But there's got to be other options there.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:55 pm

Brock2010 wrote:forget these haters. you can bartend while looking for a job. you're young! you can really make due with not very much in nyc.
this is wat i was going to poast. i know plenty of bartenders and waitresses in NYC who get by just fine.

Nogameisfair

Bronze

Post by Nogameisfair » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:02 pm

dood wrote:
Brock2010 wrote:forget these haters. you can bartend while looking for a job. you're young! you can really make due with not very much in nyc.
this is wat i was going to poast. i know plenty of bartenders and waitresses in NYC who get by just fine.
And it you're in a cash business it's harder for your creditors to get that money...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Moxie

Silver

Post by Moxie » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:12 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:The problem is I hear that firms really look down on public interest type lawyers (esp. poverty type law) and I would not be getting the type of experience that would be relevant to areas of law that really make money.
I doubt they look down on PI lawyers more so than unemployed LS graduates.

OP, this seems like a clear decision to me (and most of the others posters in this thread) - take the job, and search for an NYC position while being employed in PA. While the PA job isn't ideal, it's at least money, and give you something to put on your resume.

cool of law

Bronze

Post by cool of law » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:13 pm

Crazy,

You obviously want to go to NYC. Just go.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Nogameisfair wrote:
dood wrote:
And it you're in a cash business it's harder for your creditors to get that money...
is this an inside joke b/c r u in my secured transactions class?

Crazy4lawzzz

New

Post by Crazy4lawzzz » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Moxie wrote:
I doubt they look down on PI lawyers more so than unemployed LS graduates.

OP, this seems like a clear decision to me (and most of the others posters in this thread) - take the job, and search for an NYC position while being employed in PA. While the PA job isn't ideal, it's at least money, and give you something to put on your resume.
I can volunteer as an atty somewhere and put that on my resume too. Also, if I take PA job I take PA bar. I can't really look anywhere else without having to take their Bar too. U guys are so damn pessimistic.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:27 pm

lololololol

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:32 pm

I mean come on kid, the title of the thread asks whether you should move to NYC without a job. Should you ever move somewhere without a job? No, probably not. If you disagree then go ahead and do it. People aren't going to alter their opinions just because you want them to.

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:40 pm

1. Grow up.
2. Make big boy decisions.
4. Stay out of NYC if you don't have a job or are temping.
5. ??????
9. Survive.

TheStrand

Bronze

Post by TheStrand » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:53 pm

How much do you have saved? You'd probably need at least 1.5k a month here to get by. You can live in Bushwick or Bedstuy or the ungentrified bits of Harlem (maybe lower Harlem if you find a steal) and share a converted three bedroom with people from craigslist and make all your meals and defer your loans the 6 months after graduation. You did state you want to be in NYC because you really like the lifestyle here though...I hope that's the "lifestyle" you were picturing. I don't think it's unreasonable to say you will find a job in 6 months. It just likely won't be a legal job and it definitely won't be something where you'll "really make money."

*edit* also, keep in mind that leases are for 12 months. You will have to find a six month sublet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”