Moving to NYC with no JOB

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Moving to NYC with no JOB

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:21 pm

Hey guys,

Currently a 3L at a tier 2 in NJ. I really want to eventually work in NYC. Is it feasible to move near NYC and eventually find a decent legal position? I am fortunate enough to have less than 15k in loans (could have gone to top 30 full sticker). I also have a public interest lawyer job offer in PA but would rather work at a firm in NYC. Also have mediocre grades. However do have some money saved up but it won't last me longer than 6 months of modest living. Any advice would be awesome.

BlueDiamond

Re: Moving to NYC with no JOB

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Take the only paying job that you have on the table. Moving to NYC looking for a firm job with median grades from a T2 is a terrible idea.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:25 pm

Not sure if "modest living" exists in NYC.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:27 pm

Follow your heart and godspeed, anon.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:29 pm

I am a 0L:

If you couldn't get a job before now what makes you so sure that you could get one within 6 months? This seems like an awfully horrid risk when you already have a job. Sure it may not be where you want or what you want, but it is better than being homeless or having to take a non-legal job because you couldn't get what you wanted before your savings ran out.

Crazy4lawzzz

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:36 pm

There is a lot of talk on these boards that jobs do exist in nyc but that they pay too low for nyc law school grads to manage with their 200k plus loans. Is it really that unfeasible to find a legal job in such a massive legal market? I also have good experience in the area of law I want to pursue.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Come on, dude. You already posted this question in two other forums and everyone told you to take the only paying job you were offered.

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:Should i take a paid atty position in public interest law ( I want to do civil litigation at a private firm) in PA. OR should i reject the offer and shoot for NYC, which is what I really want to do. I have some money to support myself for 6-7 months while looking for a job in NYC

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:I am currently a 3L at a tier 2 law student in NJ (middle of the class but solid legal experience). I am originally from LA (went to a top undergrad in So Cal). I am also interested in pursuing litigation. I would appreciate any advice on the following options:

1) Go back to LA (I am originally from here...went to school here...so would this give me some advantage even though my law school is not local to here?)

2) Stay in NJ (have a few connections here but no job)

3) Go to NYC ( I really like it here...seems exciting but I am worried about securing a job in the competitive market) Although with some financial help I could survive half a year without a job until I find one.

THANKS!

Why are you posting it again anonymously in hopes of getting a different answer? I think you go to my school. Why don't you just take the job and not purposely screw our employment numbers? Once you're unemployed as a lawyer, it's that much harder to become employed, so why put yourself in that spot?

Crazy4lawzzz

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Sorry it wasn't really my intention to be anonymous. I'm just desperate. I really don't know much about PA and I love nyc. I really rely and trust the overall message that gets across on this website and want to know what ppl think. My decision to go to a Tier 2 instead of a T30 was based on smart advice on this forum so I am seeking its help again.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:48 pm

This is just my general thoughts, not particularly about legal employment, but experience can only help you get another job when you are just starting out. You can continue to look for something in NYC while working at the public interest job and it might help the search.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:48 pm

It may help to share the location in Pennsylvania & why you prefer NYC ?

P.S. I agree with the above post noting the value of law related work experience.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:49 pm

AreJay711 wrote:This is just my general thoughts, not particularly about legal employment, but experience can only help you get another job when you are just starting out. You can continue to look for something in NYC while working at the public interest job and it might help the search.

As a 0L these are my thoughts as well.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:52 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:Sorry it wasn't really my intention to be anonymous. I'm just desperate. I really don't know much about PA and I love nyc. I really rely and trust the overall message that gets across on this website and want to know what ppl think. My decision to go to a Tier 2 instead of a T30 was based on smart advice on this forum so I am seeking its help again.

Well, if you trust the overall message, not counting myself I have tallied 10 responses to the effect of "take the friggin' job" and 1 response to the effect of "follow your big city dreams brah"

Crazy4lawzzz

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:57 pm

The position is in a rural area. The other problem is that I'd have to take PA or NY bars as you cannot take both in the same session. So it wouldn't be as simple as taking this job and to keep looking in nyc or something. My instincts tell me that I would be making a mistake taking this job despite being a lawyer position.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:57 pm

It's always easier to get a job when you have a job.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:59 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:The position is in a rural area. The other problem is that I'd have to take PA or NY bars as you cannot take both in the same session. So it wouldn't be as simple as taking this job and to keep looking in nyc or something. My instincts tell me that I would be making a mistake taking this job despite being a lawyer position.

Don't PA and NY have reciprocity?

Crazy4lawzzz

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:02 pm

I just have a hard time believing that once I really get into the city that there won't be anything available. just seems ridiculously pessimistic.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:03 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:I just have a hard time believing that once I really get into the city that there won't be anything available. just seems ridiculously pessimistic.

It is pessimistic, but it is very possible. You haven't managed to get a job so far, what makes you so sure that a few more months will change that?

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:14 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:I just have a hard time believing that once I really get into the city that there won't be anything available. just seems ridiculously pessimistic.

Obviously, your chances at working at a mid-size or large firm are done, since they recruit new attorneys while they are still in law school, and not from among the pool of unemployed lawyers living in the city. So have you applied for small firm/ agency positions? Listings show up on symplicity here and there for 3Ls for those types of jobs. If so, why do you not have one of those jobs, and what is going to make you more attractive, other than having passed the bar? Did you mass-mail for any NYC jobs while in school? Summer positions in NYC?

Crazy4lawzzz

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Good point. I guess I should just give up.. Duh what was I thinking. By your logic I should have never applied to the job I have now because prior to that I didn't get a job. Get real

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:29 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:Good point. I guess I should just give up.. Duh what was I thinking. By your logic I should have never applied to the job I have now because prior to that I didn't get a job. Get real

No. You can keep applying from PA and move to NYC when you get something. I think what people are saying is that if it was a sure thing you would already have a job lined up in NYC. Why risk blowing all you savings with the possibility of ending up with no job whatsoever?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:Sorry it wasn't really my intention to be anonymous. I'm just desperate. I really don't know much about PA and I love nyc. I really rely and trust the overall message that gets across on this website and want to know what ppl think. My decision to go to a Tier 2 instead of a T30 was based on smart advice on this forum so I am seeking its help again.

Flame?

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:12 pm

vamedic03 wrote:

Flame?

Nah, what he did is credited. He said above he is only $15k in debt. Wouldn't you take that at Rutgers over, say $140k in debt at Iowa if OP wants to work on the east coast?? (which OP obviously does)

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:54 pm

yeah and if he did mediocre at the T2 he would likely have same outcome at T30, and same job prospects.

Take the job in PA. You can look for an NYC job from there.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:10 pm

OP, I probably also go to your school. Take the PA job and be happy you even have an offer. Stop asking the same question because everyone is telling you not to chase NYC at this point. It is stupid. You can try for New York after a few years working at the PA job. It is ALWAYS easier to get a job when you have a job.

Brock2010

Postby Brock2010 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:17 pm

forget these haters. you can bartend while looking for a job. you're young! you can really make due with not very much in nyc.

Return to “Legal Employment”