1L Summer Work - Where else to look?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zeth006

1L Summer Work - Where else to look?

Postby zeth006 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:33 am

Hey all,

1L here in a pinch. Grades aren't all too hot and still haven't been able to nab a gig. I KNOW that something>>>>>nothing, which is why I wanna get that something for the summer. Problem is I procrastinated like an idiot in terms of applying early and I didn't get the grades that would normally get my foot into the door of firms out there.

So my question is this. Where else can I look for unpaid legal gigs for summer work besides Craigslist and my school's career website? I've heard that CG gets pummeled all the time and I've only gotten one unsuccessful callback using the latter despite applying for applying for every single 1L-level job posted there.

At this point, I'm willing to settle for ANYTHING as long as it's law-related.I'd like to stay in SF if possible. Could use some advice. Thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: 1L Summer Work - Where else to look?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:48 am

Try universities and colleges in your area. They often have legal departments or offer legal services to students. Also try insurance companies or other places that have a legal department. Pretty much any place that has a legal department is worth contacting. Also, you should look into non-profits or any events in your area that take place in the summer that are related to the area you think you might want to practice in and see if they need volunteers. Just think outside the box and follow-up constantly to show interest.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:52 am

RA?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:54 am

fatduck wrote:RA?

Research assistant? I'm curious about that one. How exactly does that work? Do I approach a prof who does stuff in the field I wanna work in and ask him if I can be his hoe for the summer? Do I need to show him my not-so-hot GPA and such? What kind of tasks would I be doing in terms of research?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Try universities and colleges in your area. They often have legal departments or offer legal services to students. Also try insurance companies or other places that have a legal department. Pretty much any place that has a legal department is worth contacting. Also, you should look into non-profits or any events in your area that take place in the summer that are related to the area you think you might want to practice in and see if they need volunteers. Just think outside the box and follow-up constantly to show interest.

I'm in SF, so I'm sure there are quite a few non-profit organizations. I did try contacting a couple and following up, but got no responses. Guess they're farmed out for the summer.

Any nonprofit names I should look into by chance? As for big-name corps with legal depts, that's gonna be a toss-up--I'll have to ask friends if they know of any in the area with depts.

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:52 am

i know that this isn't much help to OP, but when is a good time to begin applying for summer jobs? would it be right after first semester 1L grades are posted?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:55 am

EdmundBurke23 wrote:i know that this isn't much help to OP, but when is a good time to begin applying for summer jobs? would it be right after first semester 1L grades are posted?

Early on. A lot of places like superior courts for externships don't require grades. I know people who applied on Dec 1st and got jobs days later.

EdmundBurke23

Postby EdmundBurke23 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:58 am

zeth006 wrote:
EdmundBurke23 wrote:i know that this isn't much help to OP, but when is a good time to begin applying for summer jobs? would it be right after first semester 1L grades are posted?

Early on. A lot of places like superior courts for externships don't require grades. I know people who applied on Dec 1st and got jobs days later.

If that's the case, then how do they evaluate whether a candidate qualifies or not?

EDIT: well I guess it would never hurt to network ahead of time...

RadMobile

Postby RadMobile » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:05 am

I know Alameda County Public Defender's office just started looking at applications this week. Not sure if you'd be interested in that. You should also try the Alameda County Superior Court Family Law Self Help clinic. I've heard that it is pretty easy to get in and that it is a good experience.

Not sure if you want to travel across the bay, but BART makes it very convenient.

There are loads of small firms in the area. I would try to find Hastings alums that work at those firms and try to get in that way. Small firms usually don't have a formalized hiring process, which may work to your benefit.

Hope this helps.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:21 pm

RadMobile wrote:I know Alameda County Public Defender's office just started looking at applications this week. Not sure if you'd be interested in that. You should also try the Alameda County Superior Court Family Law Self Help clinic. I've heard that it is pretty easy to get in and that it is a good experience.

Not sure if you want to travel across the bay, but BART makes it very convenient.

There are loads of small firms in the area. I would try to find Hastings alums that work at those firms and try to get in that way. Small firms usually don't have a formalized hiring process, which may work to your benefit.

Hope this helps.

Ehh, I'm a bit "shy" about approaching Hastings alums to basically tell them "Gimme a job." But I've been told that's the way to do it here in SF.

RadMobile

Postby RadMobile » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:46 pm

zeth006 wrote:Ehh, I'm a bit "shy" about approaching Hastings alums to basically tell them "Gimme a job." But I've been told that's the way to do it here in SF.

If you're really that desperate to find something for the summer, I'm not sure why you wouldn't consider it. One of the perks of being a Hastings student is the large alumni base. Use it to your advantage. It's the way to do it pretty much everywhere, not just SF, especially if grades don't get you in the door.

Talk to the Career Office. More than likely they know the right Hastings alums to contact i.e. those who don't mind/enjoy being contacted by students.

Also, you don't have to contact a Hastings alum and say, "Hi, I'd like a job this summer."

Instead, email them, inviting them out to lunch and asking them if they wouldn't mind talking about their career with you. Did you go to the Mid/Small Size Firm Job Search Panel?

Worth a shot man.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:02 pm

RadMobile wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Ehh, I'm a bit "shy" about approaching Hastings alums to basically tell them "Gimme a job." But I've been told that's the way to do it here in SF.

If you're really that desperate to find something for the summer, I'm not sure why you wouldn't consider it. One of the perks of being a Hastings student is the large alumni base. Use it to your advantage. It's the way to do it pretty much everywhere, not just SF, especially if grades don't get you in the door.

Talk to the Career Office. More than likely they know the right Hastings alums to contact i.e. those who don't mind/enjoy being contacted by students.

Also, you don't have to contact a Hastings alum and say, "Hi, I'd like a job this summer."

Instead, email them, inviting them out to lunch and asking them if they wouldn't mind talking about their career with you. Did you go to the Mid/Small Size Firm Job Search Panel?

Worth a shot man.

Nope. I take it was really helpful? Damn. I'm so behind.

Return to “Legal Employment”