The type of work I want to do in a city I'm less sure of?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

The type of work I want to do in a city I'm less sure of?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:05 pm

After missing out on the main law firm hiring cycle (now as a 3L), I may now have an opportunity to practice the type of law I want to practice in the type of firm I want to work at. However, the firm is in a city that I love, but my wife is less comfortable with.

Additionally, my wife may be looking for work in a year, and is less than confident that she will be able to find a job in her specialty in this city. However, she is more confident that she will be able to find work in a city that the firm has a secondary office in. Is there any way to suggest that I may want to switch offices after a year or so (or split time)? Do firms frown upon that type of question? Does it matter if the secondary office practices a specialty that I was told I may be transitioned to during my interview?

I'm afraid that this may be one of my last chances to practice the type of law I'm interested in at the level I want to, and I have no idea what the market will treat me in the next year - especially if I pass on the opportunity to get relevant experience.

Additionally, I absolutely love the firm as a long term solution, and would love to work there if some flexibility existed. If my wife found work in the city I'm considering, we would love to be there long term, but we are nervous about a lack of contingency.

olderlawyer

Re: The type of work I want to do in a city I'm less sure of?

Postby olderlawyer » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:17 am

There is an old Yiddish proverb, "God laughs when men plan." You are overthinking this, in my opinion. Sounds like this firm satisfies about 80% of your requirements so if you don't have another job prospect ITE take this job and then work toward your goal but be flexible (and ask your wife to try for a while, too.) You never know what will happen. Important just to have a job right now. Of course if you have other options this is somewhat more of a quandary for you. Still, it is not a good idea to ask about all sorts of contingencies when (a) you haven't even started at the firm yet and (b) your "plans" and "desires" now may not be the same a year from now.

Moxie

Re: The type of work I want to do in a city I'm less sure of?

Postby Moxie » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:After missing out on the main law firm hiring cycle (now as a 3L), I may now have an opportunity to practice the type of law I want to practice in the type of firm I want to work at. However, the firm is in a city that I love, but my wife is less comfortable with.

Additionally, my wife may be looking for work in a year, and is less than confident that she will be able to find a job in her specialty in this city. However, she is more confident that she will be able to find work in a city that the firm has a secondary office in. Is there any way to suggest that I may want to switch offices after a year or so (or split time)? Do firms frown upon that type of question? Does it matter if the secondary office practices a specialty that I was told I may be transitioned to during my interview?

I'm afraid that this may be one of my last chances to practice the type of law I'm interested in at the level I want to, and I have no idea what the market will treat me in the next year - especially if I pass on the opportunity to get relevant experience.

Additionally, I absolutely love the firm as a long term solution, and would love to work there if some flexibility existed. If my wife found work in the city I'm considering, we would love to be there long term, but we are nervous about a lack of contingency.

You missed getting hired as a 2L like most law students and yet are worried about being hired by a job that you clearly are interested in? TAKE IT

Return to “Legal Employment”