Addressing a Cover Letter to Judge When Name is Unknown? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
goosey

Gold

Addressing a Cover Letter to Judge When Name is Unknown?

Post by goosey » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:25 am

there is a judicial internship listed on symplicity but the employer name is withheld. How exactly do I address the cover letter? Would simply "Dear Judge:" be okay? That seems really weird

ggocat

Gold

Re: Addressing a Cover Letter to Judge When Name is Unknown?

Post by ggocat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:31 am

"Your Honor" would be fine. Less awkward, I think.

Edit: FWIW, I'm a clerk, and I think it would be a little too informal to write "Dear Judge" in a cover letter. But in the end, it doesn't matter b/c the job posting doesn't specify the judge's name. It won't matter which you use.
Last edited by ggocat on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:37 am

I would use the "Dear Judge" formula. When you're actually clerking or externing, you would write "Dear Judge [Last Name]" or just "Dear Judge." I have never written a letter to my judge directed to "Your Honor," or referred to him in any other context using that title. In my experience, it's not expected between judges and clerks/externs, and it'd be a bit weird to have a cover letter addressed that way. IMO, YMMV.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:38 am

ok thanks...

off topic, but what would you say about applying to a position which has a 3.4 requirement if you have a 3.26? waste of time?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”