How difficult to become an AUSA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: How difficult to become an AUSA?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:13 am

vegeta wrote:Don't know much, but I had a friend who interviewed for the DOJ Honors Program. He was coming right out of law school. They told him upfront at the interview, "You're probably not gonna get hired; we're probably only going to hire clerks."

It's a great job for the resume, but clerking for an old ass judge must suck.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:00 am

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:03 am

JusticeJackson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
vegeta wrote:Don't know much, but I had a friend who interviewed for the DOJ Honors Program. He was coming right out of law school. They told him upfront at the interview, "You're probably not gonna get hired; we're probably only going to hire clerks."

It's a great job for the resume, but clerking for an old ass judge must suck.

Clerking is the best job I've ever had. Going back to biglaw is such a step down in terms of job satisfaction. After having a real hand in deciding what the law is, it's really hard to get excited about digging through a box of documents or researching and writing little portions of motions.

I've never met a single clerk who regretted the experience, and the only clerks I've met who have even hinted at it not being the best job they ever had are those who worked for super intense/long hour judges (or those with personalities like a certain judge on the 3d).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:07 am

I'm an SDNY clerk. At the SDNY AUSA office, they basically require five years of experience (unless hired through the DOJ Honors program). Almost all the new hires have a district and circuit clerkship. Even with respect to the Honors program, they are only interested in federal clerks, and I would bet that means having a district and circuit clerkship.

The competition for these positions is pretty incredible. I know several people who have insanely good credentials who have not been hired.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm an SDNY clerk. At the SDNY AUSA office, they basically require five years of experience (unless hired through the DOJ Honors program). Almost all the new hires have a district and circuit clerkship. Even with respect to the Honors program, they are only interested in federal clerks, and I would bet that means having a district and circuit clerkship.

The competition for these positions is pretty incredible. I know several people who have insanely good credentials who have not been hired.

I wonder how many people are pulling these clerkships through connections rather than merit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:52 pm

I'm the SDNY clerk above. I think that connections can play a role (as with any job). I assume by "connections," you don't mean a judge calling to recommend a clerk, because that obviously happens and is expected.

Every AUSA I know has tremendous qualifications (regardless of connections), so I imagine that this is more of a supply and demand issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:39 pm

diff anon here. a friend of mine went to HYS, did a year of biglaw in secondary market hometown, clerked at a COA, and then went right into a big market USAO (e.g., C.D. Cal., S.D.N.Y., N.D. Ill., D.D.C.). I believe he did the year in biglaw because he got passed over for clerkships the first time. I think it would be possible, although extremely unlikely, to get in after a clerkship that immediately followed graduation. My friend had ridiculously long odds to get the job. For two openings there were something like 400 applicants, including at least one Supreme Court clerk.

Return to “Legal Employment”