Legal Assistant/Paralegal Hiring Season

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lwoods

Re: Legal Assistant/Paralegal Hiring Season

Postby Lwoods » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:26 pm

JoJ2124 wrote:From my own personal experience of para-ing with a V10, some people were hired as needed, and some were hired around May, when people were graduating from college/when other paras were getting ready to leave before law school. It's kind a crapshoot, and all depends on hiring needs/if paralegals are leaving after their 2 years are up.

This was my experience as well. Though, there were more and bigger "classes" 5 years ago before the downturn in the economy. Now fewer people are leaving and fewer spots are generated so it seems more sporadic. I also don't think my firm was too strict on the 2 year requirement.

williams11

Postby williams11 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Another pretty basic question: I'm struggling to find actual people to address my cover letters to on websites where they just link you to a general hiring email for the office. Does it look bad if I end up putting the wrong name on the letter? (or worse, no name?)

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:14 pm

Most do not limit recruiting to Ivies. Ivy equivalents such as Amherst, Swarthmore, Williams, Stanford, Chicago, Northwestern & Georgetown are also considered. GPAs of 3.5 are adequate for many of the schools with tough grading (typically Ivies have graded quite high).

strawboy1230

Postby strawboy1230 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:18 pm

williams11 wrote:Yeah, I'm definitely feeling pretty behind in this process.. I applied to a bunch of the V10 in early March, heard a no from S&C, and nothing from the rest so far. For some I guess it's only been a few weeks, but if hiring really happens in March and not April, I guess I'm not in good shape.

Can anyone else comment on when they applied / were interviewed or hired?

Also, I'm definitely already worrying about the travel factor.. I'm out in western MA so Boston and NYC are inconvenient enough, but a lot of the firms I applied to are in DC and I've already got one interview offer that definitely won't be reimbursing the $300+ flight down.

PM me if you need advice/help. I just went through that whole process from Dec-Jan.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:36 pm

strawboy: Were you hired ? Are you currently working as a paralegal ?

strawboy1230

Postby strawboy1230 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:15 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:strawboy: Were you hired ? Are you currently working as a paralegal ?

Yep. Will be starting in the summer after i graduate.

Return to “Legal Employment”