CIA

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CIA

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:31 am

Anyone ever apply? They came and spoke at my school, and I was really interested, both in either a legal career or in other positions. They said they get a ton of applications, so I assume it's very competitive. Any information that anyone can share would be greatly appreciated.

PS - this is anonymous because they tell you not to let people know you are interested in applying.

Anonymous User

Re: CIA

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:28 am

Sounds like a cool job. Does anyone know if the exit options are descent out of CIA like they are out of DOJ or USAO?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:11 am

i can give much more info on the "other positions" than the legal side -- is that something you're interested in? the agency does hire lawyers to work in CC/OO/CMO positions; i just don't have much experience with the jd->attorney/GC track.

edit: your PS is funny because i think that's the second thing you get asked at the group interview: "how many of you lied when you said where you were going today?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:37 pm

I'm interested in both options on the legal side of things, and possibly in the National Clandestine Service as a Collection Management Officer or HQ-based Targeting Officer. I'd also be interested in Analysis positions. The people that spoke stressed that they are looking for people with good research and communication skills, as well as "out of the box" thinkers. I was wondering how much of an edge a JD might give me? Since that stresses research, communication, and analysis, as well as learning to think in shades of gray instead of purely in black and white. Or would it only be helpful from a T14 school? I'm at a T50, but not a T14.

I'm basically an average white guy, so I imagine of the 10,000 applications a month they get, I'd be at a disadvantage. I'd be willing to try and learn a new language, such as Russian, if that would help out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:20 pm

If you have any sort of blemish in your past, I would caution you before applying. The CIA's background check is extremely thorough. They will look for anything that might suggest you have exorcised poor judgment. Anything. Now, if they find something, and you fail their federal background check this will show up if you apply to any other federal position--and these may be positions that, obviously, do not have as stringent background checks as the CIA, but, you fail one federal background check you might as well have failed them all. It will show you did not pass a background check and that will be all they need to disqualify you and move on the other 1,000 applicants.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:37 pm

What sort of blemish? Are we talking drug convictions, or something as simple as speeding tickets?

I've never been sued, only been arrested once (failure to appear, which I took care of), don't use drugs, etc. Pretty boring, really.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What sort of blemish? Are we talking drug convictions, or something as simple as speeding tickets?

I've never been sued, only been arrested once (failure to appear, which I took care of), don't use drugs, etc. Pretty boring, really.

I wouldn't apply. Just being honest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:56 pm

What about just speeding tickets?

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about just speeding tickets?

A lead foot could be damning with a car full of Russian missile codes :wink:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What sort of blemish? Are we talking drug convictions, or something as simple as speeding tickets?

I wouldn't apply. Just being honest.

Over speeding tickets and a 12-year-old failure to appear?

I guess I should mention that I'm older. I'll be almost 35 when I graduate.

Return to “Legal Employment”