LA vs. NYC vs. NJ--PLEASE HELP!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

NYC v. LA v. NJ

NYC
43%
LA
29%
NJ
29%

Total votes: 7

Crazy4lawzzz

LA vs. NYC vs. NJ--PLEASE HELP!

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:00 pm

I am currently a 3L at a tier 2 law student in NJ (middle of the class but solid legal experience). I am originally from LA (went to a top undergrad in So Cal). I am also interested in pursuing litigation. I would appreciate any advice on the following options:

1) Go back to LA (I am originally from here...went to school here...so would this give me some advantage even though my law school is not local to here?)

2) Stay in NJ (have a few connections here but no job)

3) Go to NYC ( I really like it here...seems exciting but I am worried about securing a job in the competitive market) Although with some financial help I could survive half a year without a job until I find one.

THANKS!

Crazy4lawzzz

Re: LA vs. NYC vs. NJ--PLEASE HELP!

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:09 pm

bump before its gone!...

Crazy4lawzzz

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:37 pm

WHICH MARKET????

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Wherever you can get a job.

Crazy4lawzzz

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:40 pm

that was the whole point of the post...

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:51 pm

Well idk. Talk to career services about bidding strategies. I would prob say bid mostly on ny and nj.

Crazy4lawzzz

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:52 pm

what do you mean by bidding? I'm a 3L...I've never even heard of bidding...am I retarded?

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:what do you mean by bidding? I'm a 3L...I've never even heard of bidding...am I retarded?

Does your school not have OCI?

Also, looking back at your post history you believe Penn is overrated but Syracuse is worth paying sticker for... I think you can make a strong case for being retarded.

Crazy4lawzzz

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:57 pm

I feel like a politician getting called out for making retarded past statements. Anyway...I just want to know if NYC is a realistic option...

Nogameisfair

Postby Nogameisfair » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:I feel like a politician getting called out for making retarded past statements. Anyway...I just want to know if NYC is a realistic option...

If you've never heard of bidding then no. Stick to NJ where more small-law can be found.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:I feel like a politician getting called out for making retarded past statements. Anyway...I just want to know if NYC is a realistic option...

How are we supposed to know? So you're median at rutgers or seton hall.. you better hope some midlaw nyc or nj is realistic, otherwise idk what you will do.

Ask around your school and talk to career services about placement stats and stuff

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:01 pm

I'm inclined to say no. Your best bet will be to go to career services and explore the local alumni network in New Jersey. A tier 2 is unlikely to draw enough appeal in New York to make it worthwhile to seek a job there. Small law in LA could be possible if you have some connections.

But really, the best place to go is your career center. Ask for data on where grads from your school placed and look into those markets

Crazy4lawzzz

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:01 pm

I don't understand how my lack of knowledge in bidding should disqualify me from pursuing law in a particular region. I don't think I am going to be able to get a "BigLaw" job right out of law school (clearly not) but I do like the idea of working in NYC...Is it realistic to live there for 5-6 months on money I have now...in hopes of securing something?

Crazy4lawzzz

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:04 pm

Should I attorney volunteer at a law department or something like that, get experience, and hope someone in NYC will hire me? I just have no idea what the NYC is like. What percent of firms are major law firms that only hire SAs?

mez06

Postby mez06 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:45 pm

California economy is shit. At middle of the class, try for NY/NJ markets. Largest market thus maybe a greater opportunity to land a job. But I don't get it, try to do both. The goal is to get a friggn job so concentrate your efforts two fold. Don't really get what your asking. Beggars cant be choosers. Get in where you fit in my man.

Crazy4lawzzz

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Is the CA market really THAT bad? I hear NYC is mainly for corporate law and LA has a lot of litigation. I know the gov. of both CA and NJ are a wreck but does that really affect the private sector in any meaningful way?

mez06

Postby mez06 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Dude, just find a friggn job. Like I said, "beggars can't be choosers". Tier 2 NY/NJ school and at that, median? Apply everywhere man. And hope that you land somewhere. You're acting as if you can afford to be the picky person. Mass blast resumes, anything. Your main objective is to get a gig.

Crazy4lawzzz

Postby Crazy4lawzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:54 pm

I do have a few options that I have not mentioned...but they seem off-track from what my experience has been in (i want to do defense civil litigation) and I have offers at a PD's office and a public interest org. SHould I look past these and keep searching? Take the job and keep looking? Seems sneaky

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:33 am

Crazy4lawzzz wrote:I do have a few options that I have not mentioned...but they seem off-track from what my experience has been in (i want to do defense civil litigation) and I have offers at a PD's office and a public interest org. SHould I look past these and keep searching? Take the job and keep looking? Seems sneaky

Are they paid jobs? If so, take one and STOP looking. You should be grateful with what you have. After gaining a few years of work experience, you can transfer to civil lit.

Return to “Legal Employment”