1st year corporate associate taking questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
judgekozinski

Re: 1st year corporate associate taking questions

Postby judgekozinski » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:28 pm

Did you have any law related employment prior to getting your first law gig? Would it make a 0L more competitive in getting a summer job after 1L year with an internship at a law firm before law school?

Boggs

Postby Boggs » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:57 pm

tag

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:58 am

What was your SA summer like? Was it comparable to your 1st year work?

Also, I'm a 2L doing a callback with a secondary market middish Vault 100 firm next week that is expressly looking for someone in their corporate department. Any advice on good questions to ask during the interview?

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:What was your SA summer like? Was it comparable to your 1st year work?

Also, I'm a 2L doing a callback with a secondary market middish Vault 100 firm next week that is expressly looking for someone in their corporate department. Any advice on good questions to ask during the interview?

I actually have a question for you, if you don't mind. How did you end up doing a V100 callback in March? Was this through one of these smaller spring OCIs or did you make it happen on your own? Did you strike out at regular OCI, and if so, what did you do for your job search after that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:04 am

I was in the top 5% at a T50 school targeting secondary/tertiary markets. I struck out at OCI(had 4 callbacks but all the firms were hiring like 1-3 people), but I landed a low paying(15/hr) job at a litigation boutique firm that recently broke off from a large regional firm via a family connection with a name partner. With the name partner's consent, I continued on my job search to job search with the hope of splitting the summer at a firm that does corporate work. The corporate firm, who I actually interviewed with in the fall, but for a different location, posted on Symplicity in mid February that they needed a SA, so I applied and told them in my cover letter about my situation. Now I have a callback next week.

Obviously, this was unusual, and purely based on luck, but hey, if it works out, I'll be happy.

Edit: As for my job search: As I realized that I was striking out during OCI in mid-October, I began my mass mail campaign and started getting tons of rejections that way- again I was only targeting firms in smaller markets though. Besides the firm I got an offer from via a family connection, I actually did get an interview offer from another regional firm that pays very well for the market, but I turned it down because that firms directly competes with the first firm I accepted the offer from.

In retrospect, I would have mass mailed all the firms in my market prior to OCI, and probably mass mail applied to NYC firms in order to cast the widest net possible. By the time I began to mass mail, my odds were probably pretty low.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:59 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dpk711 wrote:First, OP thanks for taking time in answering our questions.

My question is: do you see yourself doing this long term? Do you feel yourself emotionally or physically drained after one year of law-firm work?

I could see myself doing it long term. I really love the work and the people. That said, I haven't been here a full year yet and I don't have kids. Tough to say what the future will bring, but I could see myself being here for the long haul.

Are you married?

Yes. It helps having an understanding and supportive spouse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Wholigan wrote:Is your firm in the same city/region as your school? How many callbacks/offers did you get from OCI? If more than one offer, what made you pick the firm you're with? Considering the size of many T2 OCIs, did you try or have any success at applying to firms that didn't come to OCI?

Firm is around the same region as my school. I had several callbacks and offers. I decided on this firm because I liked the people the most, and felt comfortable around them. The other firms were good and I could have probably been happy at them, but my firm just felt like the best fit. No success applying to non-OCI firms. I only applied to a few though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:26 pm

judgekozinski wrote:Did you have any law related employment prior to getting your first law gig? Would it make a 0L more competitive in getting a summer job after 1L year with an internship at a law firm before law school?

I had some legal experience prior to law school. I don't think it helped at all for 1L summer, but maybe marginally for OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What was your SA summer like? Was it comparable to your 1st year work?

During the SA summer I received work from all departments, so it wasn't really comparable to 1st year work. They tried to give us assignments that were more fun, and they all seem to culminate with a memo. I don't write many memos at all now. I didn't get a chance to really do deal work while I was an SA. You have more routine, somewhat mindless tasks as a 1st year associate. It is also more stressful as an associate. Firms usually coddle summer associates, and don't stretch them with lots of deadlines happening at once. The toughest thing about being a junior associate is prioritizing work and knowing how to handle many different tasks at once. Sometimes you have 3 or 4 things going on that individually could take up a full day. It can be a challenging balancing act. Regardless, I love it.

I'd ask them how they usually staff deals. Whether people specialize within the corporate department early on (read about their practices on corporate associates/partners bios to get a feel for what kind of corporate work they do). There was a good thread a while back about interview questions. I'd look that over. Ask interviewers about their career paths (have they always worked at this firm, what attracted them to the firm, how it compares to other previous jobs if any). Ask about the summer program, whether you'll be able to rotate practice groups, etc. Make sure this info isn't already on their website. Nothing is worse than asking a question that their website answers.

memorex

Postby memorex » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:11 am

How scary is the billable hours requirement? Is it a big deal at your firm? Do you find yourself struggling to make up hours, or does the work just come along and you barely notice you're racking them up?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:19 am

It's not bad. To some extent getting billable hours in is outside of your control, because you are sometimes waiting for more work. It was difficult at first to accept this, especially on slow days, but now I try to enjoy the down time for what it is. Ultimately, I'm busy so I won't have a problem at least coming close to hours for this year (at least so far). When you are a first year, you are still developing working relationships with partners and senior associates, and the firm understands that it may take a little while to develop a steady work flow. Make good use of your down time (professional reading, pro bono, etc.) and the firm will likely be more forgiving if you don't hit hours. These activities can be a good bridge during slower times.

I'm not sure whether this advice applies to all firms. I haven't spoken a lot to friends at other firms about it.

Return to “Legal Employment”