Gap on my Resume Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
incase2011

New

Gap on my Resume

Post by incase2011 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm looking for a legal job without success atm. I recently moved, and I've been out of work for about 4 months studying for the LSAT and applying to schools. Obviously this isn't a good thing no matter how you look at it, but I was hoping to gain some perspective on how much this will hurt me my 1L summer and my 2L OCI.

mythosopher

New

Re: Gap on my Resume

Post by mythosopher » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:59 pm

You can "fill" the gap by explaining that you moved and were looking for new employment. It looks far better than leaving it blank, which could signify you were lazy and didn't do anything or got fired from a job. Nobody is going to blame you for being unemployed because you moved.

incase2011

New

Post by incase2011 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:09 am

Ya that's exactly what I'm worried about, so I would just make a bullet point to explain that I moved back home (probably not as good a sign as moving in general lol) to study for the LSAT, etc.? That's a good idea, thanks. I didn't know that was appropriate for a resume.

powerlawyer06

Bronze

Post by powerlawyer06 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:11 am

mythosopher wrote:You can "fill" the gap by explaining that you moved and were looking for new employment. It looks far better than leaving it blank, which could signify you were lazy and didn't do anything or got fired from a job. Nobody is going to blame you for being unemployed because you moved.
Are you suggesting that OP write "looking for job” on his/her resume. That is bad advice. If it is for an interview you can verbally explain it to them. If it is for law school apps then don't worry because it won't hurt you. They really care more about GPA/LSAT. If the gap lengthens to anything longer than six months and you are really freaked out by it you can write an addendum to your apps explaining moving/studying for LSAT.

It is also my understanding that pre-law school employment can help your post-law school employment prospects but no employment or non-prestigious employment won't hurt you. But someone who has been through OCI can probably answer this question better.

minnesotasam

New

Post by minnesotasam » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:12 am

Volunteer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

powerlawyer06

Bronze

Post by powerlawyer06 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:13 am

incase2011 wrote:Ya that's exactly what I'm worried about, so I would just make a bullet point to explain that I moved back home (probably not as good a sign as moving in general lol) to study for the LSAT, etc.? That's a good idea, thanks. I didn't know that was appropriate for a resume.
Please don't do that. That would never be okay on a resume.

incase2011

New

Post by incase2011 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:16 am

Actually, I have a pretty good lead for a position at a local Legal Aid office. I might be able to swing an internship pretty soon as well. We'll see. Definitely going to be a little weird if I go blank for 4 months, and then "wake up" all the sudden with 2 jobs.

incase2011

New

Post by incase2011 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:20 am

Obviously I'm concerned about finding something 1L summer, but I'm only concerned about that because it's important for my 2L OCI. Any insight from someone who's gone through these steps toward a legal career, preferably with a shaky resume prior to law school or knowledge thereof, would be invaluable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:43 am

Due to the awesomeness of my life I have lots of gaps more than four months. YEA! (Seriously, I have enjoyed the fuck out of my life). I just arrange my resume such that is not obvious. Things I do: List my jobs by approximate times instead of exact dates (Fall-Summer) or general years (2005-2007). I also don't list my jobs in chronological order. I list them by skill category, so they're all out of order. Someone would have to piece it together to see if it fits. And then I write "relevant work experience" meaning that there might or might not be more jobs out there, but these are just the relevant ones.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

incase2011

New

Post by incase2011 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:59 am

I see what you're saying. I might be able to work with something along those lines... I like the category idea the most. I worked in a field pretty distinct from law, so that might work well for me.

incase2011

New

Post by incase2011 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Due to the awesomeness of my life I have lots of gaps more than four months. YEA! (Seriously, I have enjoyed the fuck out of my life). I just arrange my resume such that is not obvious. Things I do: List my jobs by approximate times instead of exact dates (Fall-Summer) or general years (2005-2007). I also don't list my jobs in chronological order. I list them by skill category, so they're all out of order. Someone would have to piece it together to see if it fits. And then I write "relevant work experience" meaning that there might or might not be more jobs out there, but these are just the relevant ones.
Out of curiosity, have you had any luck getting hired? What stage are you at in your LS career?

incase2011

New

Post by incase2011 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:10 am

powerlawyer06 wrote:
incase2011 wrote:Ya that's exactly what I'm worried about, so I would just make a bullet point to explain that I moved back home (probably not as good a sign as moving in general lol) to study for the LSAT, etc.? That's a good idea, thanks. I didn't know that was appropriate for a resume.
Haha, that's my gut feeling. I thought I was naive to some new resume rule lol.

mythosopher

New

Post by mythosopher » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:25 am

powerlawyer06 wrote:
Sorry, should have clarified. Aside from putting "Moved" on your resume (if and only if you feel like you need to), putting things like "Studying for the LSAT" "Looking for employment" "Moved in with my parents" are resume suicide. As someone said, do some volunteer work, and mention that if they ask you about that "gap." You can mention you were looking for employment too, but I doubt that will help. Since it's only 4 months, I'd just skip over it and, if asked, explain that you moved so the transition interrupted any employment you would have otherwise had.

incase2011

New

Post by incase2011 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:11 am

Ok that makes sense. I think I'm going to categorize into related and unrelated work experience also. I had some legal work experience from college so I can group that together with whatever I find. Thanks everyone, this was a big help.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”