Entry Level Government Attorney Jobs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Entry Level Government Attorney Jobs

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Does anyone know how to go about getting entry level gov't jobs other than Honors Program legal jobs?

I've looked at USA jobs and it looks like most everything on there requires that you have passed the bar and have graduated already (I have done neither). Are honors programs really the only way to get entry level legal jorbs?

Also--I am still waiting to hear back from a few honors programs. My understanding is that the number they can hire is contingent upon the federal budget. Is this accurate? Does anyone know when we can expect to hear from the non-DOJ honors programs?

Thanks for the help.

Danteshek

Re: Entry Level Government Attorney Jobs

Postby Danteshek » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how to go about getting entry level gov't jobs other than Honors Program legal jobs?

I've looked at USA jobs and it looks like most everything on there requires that you have passed the bar and have graduated already (I have done neither). Are honors programs really the only way to get entry level legal jorbs?

Also--I am still waiting to hear back from a few honors programs. My understanding is that the number they can hire is contingent upon the federal budget. Is this accurate? Does anyone know when we can expect to hear from the non-DOJ honors programs?

Thanks for the help.

Other than the well known exceptions, real attorney jobs in federal government for new grads do not exist. Barring significant pre-law school experience in a relevant field (say, you structured CDOs for 15 years at Lehman before going to law school and applying to the SEC - I know someone who did this), why should taxpayers pay for a law grad who does not know anything? Highly suspect that ANY agency hires new law grads, except in very rare circumstances, IMO. You haven't given any information that would signify to me that you are actually qualified.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:05 pm

anyone else have any info in this area?

mango

Postby mango » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:14 pm

I know of someone who got an attorney (non-honors program) job at a federal agency through the USA jobs website not long after graduation. She had clerked for a federal circuit court judge before applying, however, so she had obviously graduated and I imagine she had already taken the bar in that state. So this is not quite "entry level" because it was her second position after graduation, but definitely not 15 years out either.

dark

Postby dark » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:48 pm

There is a certain amount of luck involved too.

I know some isolated instances of people networking their way into positions with state government agencies after doing a 2L summer there, making friends, doing a bang-up job on everything, and the agency having the budget and desire to hire a new attorney.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:59 pm

I know quite a few recent grads that got entry-level jobs through USAjobs.com, including at my own agency. If you didn't go through Honors, you typically have to wait until you pass the bar somewhere to apply formally, but sometimes, you'll see postings with the title "Law Clerk", that's when they're specifically considering 3Ls. What Dark said also applies to fed jobs.

Return to “Legal Employment”